caliper bolts

rmac694203

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I'm in the process of doing some front end work and can't seem to get the 12mm bolts loosened so I can remove my caliper. I used a 6 point socket and stripped them. So I got some sockets for damaged bolts and some new replacement bolts but still can't get the damn things loose. Any tips would help a lot.

I know that this may sound condisending, (sp)

But I have caught myself trying to turn them the wrong way a few times. If your looking at them backwards, they have to be removed backwards. Just a thought. You will very rarely find a bolt that size, siezed tight enough to strip with a 6 point socket.

Mike

I was turning them the right way, because the stripped bolt remover I bought has a ratchet that only turns one way, but those suckers are tight as hell. I may have to go out and buy a torch I guess.

I did mine a few weeks ago an they were corroded on solid. I tried a breaker bar, but mine was too big to get any real leverage. Ended up using an impact wrench to break free. I was hesitant to use heat 'casue of the little rubber boots. I was scared I would break the heads right off. Normally I can get these types off with just a regular socket. I put on new bolts.

If you need em, I have a set of caliper brackets I could send ya along with the console lid.

Mike

maybe i am lucky the only tough stuff to get loose was the strut rod. But with a little heat and pb blaster they came off. put new sleeve and bushings and nut and works and rides smoth.

Yeah the rubber dust covers or whatever did cause me a little concern as far as using heat. Of course I have no air tools and pretty much no specialized tools whatsoever. I might take it to my mechanic and have him get em off.

Prob a good idea. I had a calper bracket bolt once hat I rounded off the head and took it to a shop - they had it off in 10 sec.. - charge was $20 and put a new bolt in.

i used a little heat and vice grips. you dont have to heat it much. they came right out. i put them back in with anti-seize on them.

Members online

Back