Can the speed governor be reset down?

z1069

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I know this is a sacrilegious question. :D

Can the dealer drop it down to 115mph? :shifty:

Just wondered if any of you guys knew if it is possible.

:cool:

Yes - technically you can set the top speed limit to what ever you want....

but as standards (as far as i know):
- non-sport had h-rated tires and were limited to 133
- 00-01 V8 had no limits
- 02+ all models limited to 133

you can remove it with the SCT XCal2 - do a search on 'SCT Flasher' and you have lots of reading.

I once set my speed limiter to 70MPH with the XCAL2, to see if it worked, so yes it can be done.

z1069 said:
I know this is a sacrilegious question. :D

Can the dealer drop it down to 115mph? :shifty:

Just wondered if any of you guys knew if it is possible.

:cool:

Take a piece of 2x4 lumber, cut to size and then bolt to back of pedal for lower speed governor. Use a 4x4 for valet mode! :cool:

I agree with the board on the pedal bit, But I prefer a 1.5 inch thick piece of sponge (like an old sanding sponge). It keeps you and anyone else from jackrabbit starts and high speed driving. However, if you need a temporary speed boost, then apply 350 pounds of force onto the gas pedal, and the sponge will compress enough to allow full throttle accelration. Unless you are Lou Ferrigno, the length of time you will be able to perform this tricky maneuver will probably be, at best, 10 seconds. By then, the Bean soup and Turkey you had ingested will begin working its way back into your mouth and your leg will turn into a rubber band like limb, thereby successfully limiting your top speed, and rate of acceleration.

Boris T
300 hp ford product

OK fellows.

I knew I was in for some ribbing. ;)

I'll contact the dealer next week and see if they'll do it.:)

I'm sure the dealer can't do it. They have to load complete packages from Ford for the most part. You are going to need the SCT tuner to do it. That's a bit spendy just for a speed limiter....but there are a lot of other benefits too so I would recommend giving that a try.

2001LS8Sport said:
I'm sure the dealer can't do it. They have to load complete packages from Ford for the most part. You are going to need the SCT tuner to do it. That's a bit spendy just for a speed limiter....but there are a lot of other benefits too so I would recommend giving that a try.

i agree - the dealer usually does not have the adjust-ability in there programming. They cannot support having a bunch of one-off changes to vehilces made by dealers and then having 'Ford' support that change forever.

Plus there are certain liabilities that come with changes - such as removing the speed limiter (I know you were asking to lower it) - but if they removed it and the car exceeded the speed rating of the OE tires - they could be liable... Ford doesn't need anymore 'tire blow-outs'...

I guess I'm "SOL" then.

I don't want to go the tuner route because of possible dealer service issues.

Thanks Guys

:steering

Actually, dealer service issues should NOT be a problem with this car. The tune is flashed to the ECM through the ALDL (OBDII) connector under the dash. There is no evidence of it having been done unless the tech is REALLY skilled and has a reason to look for it. It's not obvious. The Cobra boys have been through this for years now. The only draw back is if you take the car in for service and they flash the ECM themselves for an update, it overwrites your tune. This is easy to remedy though. If you need to take your car in for service, you simply reload the factory tune in the car. When you get it back, you put the good tune back in!! Only takes a few minutes. You will need to know how to save your tunes on your PC so you can load and unload them...but that's it.

Diablo is about to release an upgrade to their Predator that will allow it to store more than one tune on the unit itself instead of having to store them on your PC. SCT may be (or have done) the same.

You simply flash back to 'stock' before going to the dealer, and then flash back in your tune once done - takes 5mins.

Quik LS said:
You simply flash back to 'stock' before going to the dealer, and then flash back in your tune once done - takes 5mins.

Agree! This is by far the best advice as this way you always have the latest Dealer flash as the stock tune in your flasher. Just remember that if the dealer re flashes your vehicle to an updated (newer) flash, your tuner will have to modify the tunes to the new flash. Loading your old tunes to the wrong base flash may cause considerable grief.
:Beer

Quik LS said:
- non-sport had h-rated tires and were limited to 133
- 00-01 V8 had no limits
- 02+ all models limited to 133

quik LS i have the 2000 sport 5spd manual 6cyl, it had the firestone firehawk LH v-rated tires (149mph), what is my limiter? 133? I had it up to 130 once was I about to hit my limiter?

jokken said:
quik LS i have the 2000 sport 5spd manual 6cyl, it had the firestone firehawk LH v-rated tires (149mph), what is my limiter? 133? I had it up to 130 once was I about to hit my limiter?

Speed limiters are usually set by the factory in accordance with the tires that were originally installed on the car. They will never allow the car to exceed the speed rating on the car.

jokken said:

I'm not sure - the 'sport' models did not have the limiter - but unsure if being a V6 changes that......

Were the Firestone's OE? if so - then the 133 limit applies - since Ford would never sell a car capable of more speed than the tires they sold it on.

Members online

No members online now.
Back