Can't pump fuel!!!!!

fratzke7

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
When I try to put gas in my car the damn nozzle shuts off after about 1/2 a gallon sometimes it will go longer but it seriously takes me like 5 mins to put in 8-10 gallons! It drives me nuts any suggestions? PLEASE!!??:confused:

When I try to put gas in my car the damn nozzle shuts off after about 1/2 a gallon sometimes it will go longer but it seriously takes me like 5 mins to put in 8-10 gallons! It drives me nuts any suggestions? PLEASE!!??:confused:

try another pump?

Maybe you have a kink/collapse/obstruction somewhere in the filler pipe or hose in your car?

Don't put the nozzle in all the way, the pressure from the gas you are trying to put in is causing the pump to halt. Put the nozzle in only half way, it happens on my car at most pumps and I find that this solution works.

Don't put the nozzle in all the way, the pressure from the gas you are trying to put in is causing the pump to halt. Put the nozzle in only half way, it happens on my car at most pumps and I find that this solution works.

Tried this too still NADA!

ugh...O_O...dont know what to tell you man...blockage?...try to feed something down there...have you tried using a gas can and pouring it in and seeing if it overflows?...dont know...

There should be an anti-siphon grid in the fill tube (most modern cars have them), its possible there is something caught up in it preventing the gas from pouring into the tank as quickly as it should. Only way to find out really would be to take the fill hose off, which I believe means you have to drop the tank.

haha...sucks for you...hope thats not the case...i still suggest getting some sort of something to stick down there...like a dipstick...without oil on it...i dont know...just guessing....

Wow this is getting to be a pain in the a** I tried a couple different gas stations last night and they all are the same pump click pump click :Bang
So now I guess I will just have to pull the filler tube and see what there can be in there!?!?! :slam

Did you ever figure it out?

I have the same problem - though honestly my 2000 is on its way out...

Unfortunately I have not!?! It is going to the stealership tomorrow for that and my AT light and my airbag light!!!!!! UGH!! This damn car!

I bought my 2000 LS new. I read this site more than I post, but I have had every problem mentioned here. Coils - check. Airbag light - check. Clunking noise - check. Check engine light preventing me from passing inspection - check. Lug nuts stripping - check.

Yours was the first to mention the fuel pumping problem.

I have also had the following problems, I have not seen here - probably as a reuslt of my inattention:

Radio display went dark - dealer told me to replace the radio.

Moon roof malfunction.

Fold down seat latch in trunk either not releasing seat or not holding seat in place.

Bought car brand new - had a flat and the full size spare was flat. Replaced by Lincoln - flat again in a month.

While I have enjoyed the car, it has been a nightmare on repair, and I am not nearly as mechanically inclined as most here. So this summer, when my car is set to fail inspection yet again - thanks to the damn engine light - I will be trading it in and taking on my first car payment in 4 years...

Damn sorry to hear all that, my 2000 LS has 72k on the clock, and the only thing i've replaced was a few coils and a speaker all warrentied for 4 years. I bought the car is Dec of last year.

So far so good, not having any problems like some of you have with the 1st gen Ls, and hopefully not have any anytime soon [knocks on wood] If i honestly found this site before i got the car, i would've gotten suttin else like a newer model for sure.

Thats ok, I give the LS a few years then i'll get something brand new. Since i got a new job, i can afford a nice luxury car, brand new :)

My other complaint, and the primary reason I still have my Lincoln (126K), is that there are very few cars (BMW is basically it) this size with the manual transmission, which I prefer.

I have the same problem. Doesn't matter what way I twist and turn the nozzle it shuts off, very frustrating. The dealer said they would have to pull the tank to find the problem. It's 1000 bucks every time I drive into that place!!!

I am having a similar problem where I can only put in about half a tank and it shuts off. Then I have to wait a while before adding more. Is it something to do with the saddle tanks, or the transfer pump? Anyone figure this out yet?

i'm parting out a 2000 lincoln... can sell the fill tube... let me know!

It's probably the roll-over valve, they sometimes stick. You might be able to free it by poking a wire down the fill tube. There's a misconception that there is some sort of screen at the bottom of the fill tube to prevent people for stealing gas. That's not true. What's down there is a check valve that prevents the fuel from leaking out if the car rolls over. It is a government requirement.

I believe this guy sold his LS, and was VERY happy he sold it LOL

I've been very happy with both of my LS's, but then neither one has given me any real trouble. If I were having the amounts and kinds of trouble some of the people here have, I would get rid of them before long at all...

It's probably the roll-over valve, they sometimes stick. You might be able to free it by poking a wire down the fill tube. There's a misconception that there is some sort of screen at the bottom of the fill tube to prevent people for stealing gas. That's not true. What's down there is a check valve that prevents the fuel from leaking out if the car rolls over. It is a government requirement.

The gas cap is not enough to prevent fuel from leaking out? :confused:

I've been very happy with both of my LS's, but then neither one has given me any real trouble. If I were having the amounts and kinds of trouble some of the people here have, I would get rid of them before long at all...

Same here, i do have extended warrenty till 2012, if anything would go wrong, hopefully its during that time frame.

The gas cap is not enough to prevent fuel from leaking out? :confused:

That's the government for you. They believe that the top half of the fill tube where the gas cap is will fail, but the bottom half where the check valve is won't. Seems crazy to me.

Members online

Back