car dies at stop signs and stop lights HELP ASAP

anthony53o

LVC Member
Reaction score
I have a 2000 lincoln ls v8, this has been going on for year, i was told i needed to replace the coils so i did a week ago, same thing when car is cold it doesnt do it but as soon it warms up it dies at everylight so i have to drop it N every time, its a pain in the butt! i am stumped! Now my wife is going to drive my car now in town so its a a really big problem now! I just need HELP!!! AHHHHH!!!!

+1.

Also, how about the pump? Would that cause this issue?

i think it sounds like it is somthing in the fuel delivery system, maybe the injectors are getting clogged

maybe the fuel filter?

Never heard that sugestion, i just called a mechanic he said maybe a new valve? he didnt tell wich one, he was the one also to change the coils and it would have fixed the problem oh he said maybe new battery plus $300 for a diagnose it again.. Am i only the lincoln ls owner that has this problem?:confused:

when its in N its fine only in drive it dies, if the injectors were clogged would it die N too? how hard is the job to change injectors? or can i buy that injector cleaner to put in the gas tank?

the batt would not cause this at all, since once the car is running, the alternator provides more power than the batt even at idle, so the alt is charging the batt when running. the batt is only there to start the car, and your not having any problem starting the car are you? i'm not saying that i know what is wrong, i'm just telling you where i would start.

car dies

Anthony;
You might not believe this but you have a bad ecm computer,
I had that problem before and after replacing all kinds of sensors and almost replace the transmission, A funny looking guy told me this, and that solve the problem.I did not believe it first.
Hope that works for you too.

valve like in the heads, i would think that if you had a problem with a valve in the motor you would have a bigger problem than the car stalling

It sounds like the cars not getting enough fuel.

Does it just shut down or does it buck and shut down?

first go to the dealer and get the price,then you go from there,Is not a big deal to replace it but better be done by a mechanic.

Bite the bullet, go to a dealer get diagnosed be for you randomly start throwing money at it. Can be cheaper in the long run and less frustrating.

I'd check the idle air bypass; that sounds like what my Explorer did when its idle air bypass valve was sticking. I haven't looked at the IAB on the LS, but I was able to solve the problem on my Explorer by taking it off, shooting it with Berryman's B12 Chemtool, drying it, and putting it back. It would work for ~20K miles, then I'd have to do it again. If it happened while I was out, I could whack the IAB with the plastic end of a screwdriver and it would unstick long enough for me to get home.

Where is that on the lincoln ls? does any one no where it is or have pics?
The idle air bypass should be on the throttle body--it's what lets air get through when the throttle plate is closed (to prevent the engine from dying due to lack of air).

Too much air.

Id start by looking for the all too simple vacuum leak.
The only vacuum leaks I've had on EFI cars showed up throughout the RPM range. My F150 just had one (stupid :q rat chewed through a vacuum hose); it wouldn't idle at all, and it shook like an unbalanced washing machine off idle.

Members online

No members online now.
Back