car shutter

Motts

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
this morning I went to get in my car, havent driven it for a few days, been driving the civic... and gas was about 1/8 a tank... started her up and it started to shutter/shake...
Think its because of low gas??? It drove fine to work, just when i started it up my driveway has a lil slope to it as well...

About 2 months ago I was doing 75 mph from Ohio to Buffalo, NY and 2 hours in my 01 started to shutter. I was low on gas also. Nothing on the computer, no dash lights. Just the stutter. Pulled into the rest area. Filled her up with 93 and took off. Never happened again.

hmmm... gota get the oil changed today and i'll fill her up with some prem, maybe shes tellin me she needs a wash.. ;) lol

it might be a fuel filter that need to be changed. I think i am going to do mine this weekend.

its a 2000 with 35k miles.. think it would be a fuel filter that soon?

My '01 with around 60,000 miles does the same thing. first time running for the day, shutters for a few secounds after start up but runs fine once warmed up. Was wondering myself what was going on. Sorry i'm no tech. help, but there is someone else out there experiencing it too.

Our fuel lines are pressurized and for a normal overnite sit, they will de pressurize but still have gas in them. Maybe yours since it sat seveeral days and was on a slope, drained the fuel lines so the engine was starving for fuel.

Also with enough miles the pickup can become clogged and some pickups are on a float which may not go all the way to the bottom after enough years. Yours doesn't sound old enough for this problem.

Fuel filters can clog in just a few miles if you get bad gas or let yours sit too much. Normal change intervals are about 30K to 50K. In most instances the degradation in performance is so gradual you don't notice it until you have a heavy load or unusual conditions. The filter can go was past normal change interval and you won't notice it until it clogs up enough.

Good Luck,

Jim Henderson

Motts said:
how hard is it to change a fuel filter??
I have not had my LS long enough to say from experience, but evey car I have owned since 1986(fuel injected) had filters that were pretty easy to remove.

With some Fords you will need a filter removal "wrench" set. Looks like plastic collars that slip over the fuel line and slide inside of the clamp and disengage it. I think the kit I bougth at Autozone cost me all of $5 and had 4 "wrenches" for different size fuel lines.

Before you do the job, get a drain pan and some towels for spills. Wouldn't hurt to have a friend stand by with a fire extinguisher since it would be you on fire if something happened. =:O Not to worry I have never had a gas fire except a carb back fire, since 1970, but a little static and boom.

Let the car sit over night and do not start it anytime before you start the job. This allows the pressure in the fuel system to drop and not spray gas all over the place. I prefer to have the car low on gas to prevent too much gravity drain of the fuel when you pull the hoses.

I DO NOT know where the filter is on our cars but assume it is somewhere along the frame rails. Just follow any hard lines coming from the gas tank area and you should bump into a filter. Or maybe we are lucky and it is under the hood mounted on the firewall. Then again, not much room under the hood so if it is there who knows if you can see it. But like I said, I am guessing.

If you can see and wrap your hand around the filter you can replace it easy.

Once you find the filter, use the "wrenches" I mentioned or in some cases they just use plain old fashioned hose clamps. Remove the front line and plug if you can, not much should dribble out. Remove the rear line and let any gas drain into pan until you can plug it with maybe a golf tee or figure out something. Then remove the filter and put a new one in. The old filter will have a fair amount of gas in it so treat it with fire safety in mind.

I would say on my F250 the job took half an hour because of bracketing that made it tough to get at and you needed those "wrenches". On my Chebby it took maybe 30 seconds. On my Villager it takes maybe a minute.

This is easier than doing an oil change in 90% of the cases I have seen.

Good Luck,

Jim Henderson

Motts said:
this morning I went to get in my car, havent driven it for a few days, been driving the civic... and gas was about 1/8 a tank... started her up and it started to shutter/shake...
Think its because of low gas??? It drove fine to work, just when i started it up my driveway has a lil slope to it as well...

Mine does this too. Been doing it since I have had it where my wife's does not. I am assuming an injector in my case, but have not completed troubleshooting. If it just did it the one time, I would ignore it. Mine is getting more and more consistant, but it used to do it on cold startup only. The more I drive my car, the better it runs. It doesn't like to sit.

changed the plugs, oil, gave her a wash , and filled her up with prem... no more shutter..... I think she just wanted to be washed.. lol

Members online

No members online now.
Back