Cat delete 2005 Lincoln LS

soflolincoln

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I just recently got a cat delete and ive researched it everywhere on other forums and nobody talks about the carbon monoxide getting in the cabin. All i''ve seen is people talking about a bad smell and that it goes away after a while but no specifics about the CO. I obviously don't wanna be breathing in CO every time I drive. Has anyone else done this and experienced a similar problem? I haven't checked the welds for any leaks, I've been driving with the windows down to hopefully air it out and not be trapped in with it. I'm also surprised at how this isn't a bigger problem, I know there's tons of people with no cats out there and everyone seems to be just fine.

Last edited:
Sounds like you have a leak into the cabin? Cat or not that's the problem.
All the bad smells I had were from the cat itself? That's where the rotten egg smell comes from.

You know that CO is odorless? So you can't be smelling CO.

When you do the cat delete you get a rich fuel condition. I think there are "dummy" O2 sensors that lie to the PCM. You are probably smelling unburned gasoline.

Cats don't have anything to do with CO. They help convert NOx (and probably some other compounds) into less polution-y compounds, but not CO. Exhaust without a cat just smells different. You're back to living the glory days of the 70's!
This is why exhaust is run to the back of the car and not just header dumps or side pipes. You shouldn't have a problem as long as the system is properly installed and sealed.

The upstream o2 sensors provide input to the fuel control, and those "shouldn't" be affected by removing the cat. Some exhaust systems are extremely sensitive and changes like this can throw off the tuning of the car. The downstream o2 sensors make certain the cats are working, so those will throw codes unless dealt with.

Members online

No members online now.
Back