Changing the oil pretty soon...

I change my oil and filter every 10k.

WOW!!!!
You change the oil, and filter only every 10K???
I know I'm picky and I want my car running at it's best.
Synthetic oil only, every 3000Km
Spark plugs changed every year
Transmission oil changed every year
Coolant changed every year

But, that just me.

"Its the weight that makes motors turn over slow in the cold. 0w against 5w. You should hear how slow our diesels turn over on a cold morning with 15w40 in them."

It's actually a combination of both the weight (0w vs. 5w) and oil type (synthetic vs. conventional).

5w synthetic will flow better at 0 degrees then 5w conventional.

0w provides even greater protection, plus, there is not any 0w conventional.

Besides, if the 5w turns harder, it indicates more wear until operating temp is reached.

And lastly, heavy construction for the past 25 years from the Canadian border to Ft Lauderdale, FL and many points in between. I have heard diesels in cranes, excavators, dozers, trucks, etc. start in -50 to +105 and every point in between. When it gets that cold, diesels don't like it and prefer to be left running. But that is not always feasible.

WOW!!!!
You change the oil, and filter only every 10K???
I know I'm picky and I want my car running at it's best.
Synthetic oil only, every 3000Km
Spark plugs changed every year
Transmission oil changed every year
Coolant changed every year

But, that just me.

No problem with how you treat your car. Individual preferences.

When I've examined my spark plugs after 4 years, the electrode and gap were both well within spec. If you are wearing out spark plugs every year, there is a good chance there is something wrong with your engine.

Same thing for coolant. Assuming you have no head gasket issues, the factory coolant performs fine for at least two years, probably more.

I've actually sent my oil in for an oil analysis at Blackstone labs. Last sample I sent in had 9k miles on the sample, and the report indicated the oil was fine, and I could have gotten about 3k more miles out of it. Also..just as an aside, my other car is a 90's 3 series BMW, which has oil indicator lights that remind you when its time to change the oil based upon the cars computer calculations. It usually averages about 9k between changes as well.

I've done 10k changes for as long as I can recall...and I always get at least 100k on my motors. I usually end up selling before 150k, but Im pretty confident all of my motors have reached that mark after I traded or sold the cars.

Excessive oil changes is mostly an American myth fed by marketing.

i change mine at 5k regularly and go with Q Power. Little tough to find, no more expensive than Mobile 1 or the such. Never have had any problems at all on ultra cold startups (of which there have been a plethora of lately) I don't know if it adds HP but its always run smooth and quick, filter I just go standard motorcraft or purolator depending on where i am. i know full synth is recommended and remember once you go full synth don't go back

What about Wix filters? They're designed for trucks I think. I used to use those back in the '80s before I stopped changing my own oil. :D

Members online

No members online now.
Back