Check Engine Temp

BillK

New LVC Member
Reaction score
2001 Ls V8 93K miles ran perfect until my wife was coming home from work today. temp needle went through the roof and "check eng temp" warning came on along with the "reduced engine power". You can hear coolant fan running. No leaks..opened radiator cap, fluid level full. No antifreeze smell from eng comp.???? Is this a common occurance for the LS????

I would take it to Autozone to get the code checked but don't think I'd make it before it acted up again??? Help!!

Well the most common problem is the hydraulic motor, XW4Z-8K621-AA, for the cooling fan if you are getting DTC's P1285 and/or P1299 . Per TSB 01-21-11

It migh be cheaper to buy the HCF and motor as a set 2W4Z8C607AA not certain about the price of either at this point.

The only way you are going to know for sure is to get the PCM scanned, you can drive just don drive it hard or far.

I don't know if this would help but my LS had similar problem, my power steering fluid was contaminated which caused the hydroulic motor to lock up and it would overheat when I was stoped at red light. I just got that fixed, my warranty didn't cover it so i had to pay $1200 for a shop to change the power steering pump flush out the system and change the hydroulic motor.

If your fan is running and this is a sudden problem, I would suspect the thermostat.

T stats fail at unexpected moments. Often they will fail after a chemical flush of the cooling system, I would guess odds at 50/50 within a few thousand of a flush in my experience over 30 years of tinkering.

Good Luck,

Jim Henderson

if the fan is running, check the thermostat, then get ready to bleed the system of air.

BillK said:
2001 Ls V8 93K miles ran perfect until my wife was coming home from work today. temp needle went through the roof and "check eng temp" warning came on along with the "reduced engine power". You can hear coolant fan running. No leaks..opened radiator cap, fluid level full. No antifreeze smell from eng comp.???? Is this a common occurance for the LS????

I would take it to Autozone to get the code checked but don't think I'd make it before it acted up again??? Help!!
I had this problem and it ended up being a thermostat..........there is a TSB covering this i think. If everything is working fine, i would suspect thermostat.

could very well be the thermostat being that the LS uses a wax stat..... BUT, in reality the most common cause of this is actually a faulty overflow cap. On the LS (t bird and s type also) the over flow cap acts as your "radiator cap" it is designed to hold 15psi.... if it is leaky and the system does not remain under pressure air pockets will form and the engine can overheat. The cap is a common ford part, and is used on many ford vehicles start there, if the problem persists move on to the thermostat. If you do attempt to do the thermostat make sure you follow the LS degas procedure properly

I had the same problem wih my overflow cap a few months ago. After changing the cap, the problem went away, however, it just happened again today. The same senario happened: Temp rose very quickly, power reduced, then check engine light went on. Code was P1299. I'm not sure if I should replace the cap again or if something else is going on. Suggestions welcome.

Code P1299

I just had the same thing happen to my '02 v8 ls. I got the same code but autozone says it's a air flow meter? What is that?

The Air Flow meter? That's interesting. If they are referring to the MAF sensor(Mass Air Flow) I was under the impression that is only related to the driveability the engine, as it simply monitors the airflow going from the airbox/airfilter into the actual engine.

P1299 isn't the MAF, it's:
Cylinder Head Temperature Sensor Detected Engine Overheating Condition
per http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/ford/index.php
If the MAF were bad, it should throw a different error (P1100 and P1101 are specific to the MAF).

If the engine were running too lean, it could result in an overtemp condition (there's a cooling effect from a richer mixture), but that should trigger an emissions-related code, because, at the very least, the O2 sensors should see that.

had the problem recently. just changed the thermostat and still got the problem. and new info on this issue.

lincoln is corrupt. 3 problems after my warranty ended.
got 57k miles and and my warranty ended in june.

Just a tip..if you must drive a car that overheats, turn the AC OFF, and set the climate control to the hottest temp setting/fan on HIGH. This helps draw the heat from the engine, and into the cabin.

Might want to have the roof open/window down to keep from fainting, though.

If the MAF were bad, it should throw a different error (P1100 and P1101 are specific to the MAF).
Here's the deal: If the temp guage rises virtually instantly (more quickly than the engine could possibly heat up), and you get the described messages, it is probably that the cylinder head temperature sensor has detected over-heating. The car will peg the temp guage (regardless of the actual coolant temperature) and go into limp-home mode with the messaged indicated (check engine temp message, reduced engine power message). A faulty cylinder head temperature sensor, or a loose connection, could cause a bad reading so that the car thinks the heads are overheated when they are not.

im gonna check it out today & ill come back with (hopfully) good news.

hard to belive my car is over heating when it is 35 degrees in chicago.(morning)

SoonerLS said:

If the engine were running too lean, it could result in an overtemp condition (there's a cooling effect from a richer mixture), but that should trigger an emissions-related code, because, at the very least, the O2 sensors should see that.

if my car had the pcv valve problem codes p0171, p0174 (both say engine too lean). my temp problem came from a chain reaction from my pcv valve problem?

Here's the deal: If the temp guage rises virtually instantly (more quickly than the engine could possibly heat up), and you get the described messages, it is probably that the cylinder head temperature sensor has detected over-heating. The car will peg the temp guage (regardless of the actual coolant temperature) and go into limp-home mode with the messaged indicated (check engine temp message, reduced engine power message). A faulty cylinder head temperature sensor, or a loose connection, could cause a bad reading so that the car thinks the heads are overheated when they are not.

I'm in the same boat with my '00V8, and I think you may be right.

Do you or anyone else have any further insight into replacing the cylinder head temperature sensor? (where are the sensors located, what connections are you speaking of and where are they located, prices, DIY difficulty?)

Thanks

I popped the same code 1299. However I have coolant leaking from the right side of the engine and I could hear hissing coming from the right head. Did I blow a head gasket or crack a head?I dont even know nwhere to start. Anyone have any ideas please? Thank you in advance!!!

I popped the same code 1299. However I have coolant leaking from the right side of the engine and I could hear hissing coming from the right head. Did I blow a head gasket or crack a head?I dont even know nwhere to start. Anyone have any ideas please? Thank you in advance!!!

Year? Engine? Miles? What has already been done?

Year? Engine? Miles? What has already been done?
Yes it is a 2005 LS V8 with 94,000 miles on it. I havent done anything to it yet. I believe the little bit of fluid was coming out of the over flow but I dont know where that is. I did hear a little hissing noise coming from the passenger side of the engine. I am leaning towards it just being a thermostat. I did check the oil dip stick and water didnt make it look like a milk shake. So I am believing that is ok.

Yes it is a 2005 LS V8 with 94,000 miles on it. I havent done anything to it yet. I believe the little bit of fluid was coming out of the over flow but I dont know where that is. I did hear a little hissing noise coming from the passenger side of the engine. I am leaning towards it just being a thermostat. I did check the oil dip stick and water didnt make it look like a milk shake. So I am believing that is ok.

IMHO, sounds like you need a degas bottle (overflow tank) at the least....

You will be the extreme exception to nearly everyone else if your problem is either a head gasket or the thermostat.

Do a little reading on here. The problem is that the plastic cooling system parts degrade over time and coolant starts to seep out, and more importantly, air starts to seep in. The parts also start to crack, and clearly you are already at that point. At the very least, you'll need to replace the degas bottle and the three plastic parts at the front of the engine. If you are smart, you will also replace the two major radiator hoses. Unless you're really unlucky, your radiator is probably okay. It's very important after doing this that you fill and bleed the system exactly by the factory procedure.

Members online

No members online now.
Back