Cloth Roof???

Papa Alpha

LVC Member
Reaction score
I see on e-bay (item 260171616281 ) a 2005 with a cloth roof. I've never seen a cloth roof before on an LS. Was this standard option available or is it an after-market?

yeah, i totaly know what your talking about. I saw a deep maroon one with a black "cloth" top on the way home one weekend. I did a double take and had to turn around and go look at it. I could see how it could look pretty good. BTW, it was at a dealer, albeit a small independent one.

This has come up a few times in the past, it was not a factory option, but a dealer option. I have seen one in my area a few times.

I'll quote from another thread:

Originally Posted by SoonerLS
No, you haven't. NONE of them rolled off the Wixom assembly line with that "option" installed; those were all done after they arrived on dealers' lots.

As I understand it, there was actually a threat by the president of Lincoln (or was it the LS Program Manager?) of physical violence against any dealers who did that. Some of the longer-tenured LLSOC members can tell you about that--they heard it from the horse's mouth.

Originally Posted by LS4ME
Yep. Jim Rogers, then VP of Marketing threatened to take a baseball bat to any dealership owner that did that. I was there when he said it. Jim said they could do whatever they wanted to the GM and TC but were to not touch the LS!

speaking of which, anybody know what the process would be to remove a factory vinyl roof from a car?

1/4 tank=90 miles til empty?

I just looked at the pix again and one shows more than 1/4 tank of gas left but only 90 miles until empty. I understand that the computer computes this based on previous usage. Is that correct? With 1/4 tank of gas, my '02 LSE gets a lot better mileage. About 26 highway, 20 city.
The one item I cannot find in the owners manual is if you switch from metric to imperial, is that miles per US gallon or Imperial gallon (1/5 more)? Since the car was produced for North America, my thinking is that it must be US gallons.

thats just avg mpg. 90 miles til empty is what i get at about quarter tank.

Nasty, I saw one LS with a top like that the other day and it was in my color, that thing was straight up nasty.

not the headliner, but the actual roof (on top of the paint, yes, ourtide) is cloth.

Kinda depends on the type installed. I did a 78 TC - it was nasty glued on. Had to use goof off to get the glue off the roof - use this stuff cautiously as it will damage paint. I really didn't care I was putting a new one on. just primed and sealed the roof are before putting on the new roof. Also I had to remove the headliner to get to the trim bolts.

I did a 92 Grand Marque it had a white vinyl roof - actually after removing the trim bolts it just popped off, it was not glued except around the rear window - mostly silicone which came off with some vigorous rubbing. the top was really a fiberglass cap, slipped on.

There were caps on the doors too, they were the hardest to get off with out hurting the paint. slight use of a heatgun and lots of plastic and wooden scrapers - nothing metal. Wiped with bug and tar remover then waxed the crap out of it. Luckily there was no paint fading - you never would have known, except for the extra Mercury medallion on the sail panel, that it ever had a vinyl roof. Took a good 4 hours.

It's called a Carriage Top.

Old Limo and hearse-type option.

Long time LS owners cringe at the thought!

Members online

No members online now.
Back