Clunking In Rear, Heard When Passengers Are In Back.

RichieboyLS

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. Was wondering if someone could help me out. I tried searching and couldn't come up with an answer. When I got the car I had the familiar clunk that turned out to be the sway bar bushings, dealer put in a whole new bar. I'm guessing because they're attached? Whatever, so now I'm hearing a similar noise coming from the rear when people are back there. I'm gonna take a look soon but would like to know what exactly to look for. Thanks.

Also, has anyone had any experience dealing with the tranny solenoid? I'm pretty sure I need it. I don't really wanna go to a dealer. Can I just ask my local mechanic or do I need to go to a tranny shop. I'm just afraid that they won't believe me and wanna diagnose it. Is this something that can be done myself with some patience? Drain pan, take it off, undo some bolts take out solenoid and put it all back. It looks to easy on the service manual online.

Hey guys. Was wondering if someone could help me out. I tried searching and couldn't come up with an answer. When I got the car I had the familiar clunk that turned out to be the sway bar bushings, dealer put in a whole new bar. I'm guessing because they're attached? Whatever, so now I'm hearing a similar noise coming from the rear when people are back there. I'm gonna take a look soon but would like to know what exactly to look for. Thanks.

Clunking in the rear. I would check:
1) Sway Bar Links
2) Toe Links

Searching through this board seems to indicate they are both problematic in the rear. Your issue sounds like the sway bar links.

I've educated myself on where these are, but I don't see anything wrong with them. Sometimes when turning I hear/feel a knock but it doesn't feel like it's coming from the steering wheel. I dunno, I could just be ocd about it. Maybe there's nothing wrong.

i notice too as i hear sound i almost visualize rear gears going dry not saying thats its but thats what im saying it sounds like

When the joints on my rear upper control arms went, I had a clunk while turning.

Maybe your passengers are just on the bigger side and are putting stress on your car... Lol

if we r talking bout same noise it is not when turning it is almost like a bucking coming from rear end

I had a clunk in my '03 just going over smaller bumps. It ended up being some weird suspension piece (sorry I don't know the name). Cost like $150 to fix and the clunk went away.

Members online

Back