Clutch job questions.

charcoalLS

LVC Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a suitable tool to remove the driveshaft from my 5 speed so I can change out the clutch. Does anyone know of a tool that would work other than the lincoln drive shaft tool?

Also should I change out the flywheel as well? I'm doing the bearing, slave, clutch and pressure plate.

I'm under the impression the flywheel cannot be resurfaced? Has anyone ever tried?

also you can drop the trans with the driveshaft still attached .. just disconnect it from the diff

Awesome. I guess that Lincoln tech didn't know what he was talking about. He told me I couldn't remove the driveshaft without that tool.:shifty:

Do I need a skinny 30mm to take off the flange on the transmission end? I want to do the rear main seal on the transmission. Thinking about getting an axle socket and grinding down the sides.

I just called my machine shop and they cannot turn 2 piece flywheels. Do others have shop that can turn them just wondering? Like I mentioned on the other site you posted , you might want to ask around about turning flywheel. Frank

I bought a socket at sears as part of a set of large 1/2" drive sockets, thin wall, 1-3/16 works.

I use a pair of pipe wrenches on my driveshaft. Works well.

I just went through all of this with my seal. What a FPITA. I changed the seal in may, leaked out all but around 8 oz of atf. Went to change it to pennzoil syncromesh oil and it came out all that week, smoking off my pipes. I bought a sleeve kit and a new seal, installed, same problem. I did it again the next week, assuming that I screwed my sleeve up, same problem. I only got around 8 oz of atf out of the transmission and it was black as hell, and i had been noticing bearing like noises at part throttle, so i said Eff it, and bought a used transmission and installed it, along with a new clutch plate and disc. I used an orbital sander on my flywheel and although it showed some signs of heat stress in color, I was in no position to change the flywheel. It works very well now. No more leak, either. With 165K on my old tranny, it didn't owe me much more. I'm in no position to buy a new car, nor do I want to. This thing is the cat's ass and I continue to love it.

The transmission came from Brim's in Ohio, found on car-part.com. He had bought 5 of them from Ford 8.5 years ago and he had 3 left. Now he has 2. Cost me $600 shipped to NH. I easily justified that cost. I bought the clutch stuff from rock auto for $185. The transmission came with its slave cylinder/throwout bearing, so I just used it, since this unit was low miles.

Make sure to plug the hole in your throwout bearing if you sand the flywheel in place, then grease that bearing up nicely before reassembly. Ditto on the greasing of the driveshaft pilot boss pins.

I tried to get a new throwout bearing but ford only services it with the flywheel. For $700. I forgot to take a picture of the bearing while I had it apart, but I guess you could buy one from someplace else. It is a pretty different looking bearing, needles, locked into a larger plaster cage with a set-back into the rear part of the flywheel. It was white nylon cage with black print on the ring of it. Pleas try to take a picture of yours and report the number on it back here, i think mine is not as good as it used to be as the clutch is not releasing well in extremely cold weather to stop the disc while in neutral before being driven, although the clutch releases right where it should, pedal-height-wise.

I loved the way this car's linkage attachment to the transmission comes apart. I did not have that much fun with the starter bolts, but was luckier when reinstalling to discover an access path from the other side of the front K member with an extension for the top starter bolt. Also watch for the alignment dowels on the block. One of mine came off with the old transmission and took me an hour to remove.

Good luck.

Sh!t! I have the same leak. I hope changing the seals work. I got it all out and the clutch is burnt to a crisp, pressure plate fingers were totally worn, flywheel surface was glazed as well as the pressure plate. My kit didn't come with a pilot bearing so I'm pissed and I won't know until Monday if I can get someone to resurface it. All I did with the driveshaft was unattach it at both guibos. It came out easily the lincoln tech I spoke to must not touch a wrench very often.

vbpgimage.php

vbpgimage.php

You think it can be resurfaced?

Flywheel Clean-up

Some years ago I hand-'resurfaced' a flywheel by using an air-powered disc sander. The surface was so tough that I took about a half-hour at the job, but I didn't get in a hurry either. It worked for several years with no difficulty.

Considering the cost/savings, you have little to use by trying it!

KS

Compatible Flywheels?

Aren't there are couple of other flywheels compatible with 3.0L? I heard mazda and jaguar s type (obviously). Could someone post part #s?

I have a machine shop checking out the flywheel tomorrow morning. I'll have my answer then. This guy has a ton of experience and knows his sh1t. I heard the cost should be around 60-100 bucks?

I read ford dual mass flywheels can be resurfaced but you need to replace the bolts that hold both pieces together.

DAMNIT. It is sold. I didn't anticipate need a new flywheel so I already have a kit sans flywheel. Looks oem too. Fvck.

Ford

Flywheel/Flexplate
5 Spd Man Trans Getrag-221 ; Manual Transmission; 7600 Pilot Bearing Is Serviced In The 6375 Flywheel Asy Only, 10MM Dowel

RenderIllustration.ashx

According to this picture the fly wheel part # is 6375. This is a common flywheel if you search ebay.com with : Ford 6375. Are all these 6375 flywheels interchangeable? I wish the dealership was open.

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?LH_AvailTo=3&_trkparms=65%253A12%257C66%253A2%257C39%253A1%257C72%253A3133&rt=nc&_nkw=ford%206375&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14.l1513&_pgn=2

Man this thread brings back memories. I couldn't find any other flywheels that would work from other duratecs. The problem is that they are thinner to help then fit transversely. One thing I didn't check and think of back then is to see if the old 80's style mustang with the 2.3 turbo flywheel would would. see if you have a parts store that has one nearby and compare it to yours. I wish tomorrow wasn't sunday or I'd be looking as I have my old one sitting in my garage.

Good luck and I'll chime in as I come up with suggestions.

Edit, I think I remember why I didn't try to 2.3 flywheel, I believe they have difference crank bolt patterns.

I believe the 6375 flywheel is in mustangs too. However they all have different weights on them so this sounds like a tough job trying to find the right sized one and weights.

Do you still have that spare flywheel mechanic boy? I'm going to find out in a couple hours if I can use the old one. I'm bring it to a guy near me who runs a machine shop : http://www.bmotorworks.com/. He has tons of experience and he came highly recommended. He knows it's a dual mass but I didn't know if it had a rubber center. Do you know who carries the pilot bearing ? (7600)

How much can you get a new flywheel for a Jaguar mechanicboy? I want to have my bases covered if this flywheel can't be resurfaced. I got good news however the guy who is going to do it for me use to be the service manager at Wagner Jaguar in my area. So that is good news!

My neighbor rocks. He knows all the guys in my area that have great flywheel machines. He knows what models they have too. I told him it's the same fly wheel that is in the Jaguar S-Type 3.0 manual and he said he knew exactly what I was talking about. He's plowing his driveway I'll know it like 2 hours time if it can be done. :rolleyes: I hate waiting.

I believe the 6375 flywheel is in mustangs too. However they all have different weights on them so this sounds like a tough job trying to find the right sized one and weights.

Do you still have that spare flywheel mechanic boy? I'm going to find out in a couple hours if I can use the old one. I'm bring it to a guy near me who runs a machine shop : http://www.bmotorworks.com/. He has tons of experience and he came highly recommended. He knows it's a dual mass but I didn't know if it had a rubber center. Do you know who carries the pilot bearing ? (7600)

I wouldn't worry about the weight of the flywheel. Lighter is better for performance while heavier is easier to drive in traffic. The hard part is finding one that bolts to the crank, has the right size and teeth for the starter, bolts the pressure plate up AND has a clutch disk with the right splines for the input shaft of the transmission. I saw a few clutch kits for the LS that were (i think) 23 spline, the problem is (IIRC) the LS is a 10 spline meaning they were the wrong kit.

I do have my old flywheel. I didn't have any problems with that flywheel I just couldn't find a place that could turn it locally. As I told you in the PM I'd be willing to sell it cheap.

How much can you get a new flywheel for a Jaguar mechanicboy? I want to have my bases covered if this flywheel can't be resurfaced.

I just checked and the place I bought my new jag flywheel from and it appears that they are out of stock just I shot them an email to be sure. Finding one locally(whether for a jag or Lincoln) is hard and they are expensive(I hear $700-$1k) I bought my from England(and yes it was cheaper even with shipping).

I had the chance to buy a spare new flywheel and I regret not doing so.

I told him it's the same fly wheel that is in the Jaguar S-Type 3.0 manual and he said he knew exactly what I was talking about.

I believe in other counties the jag was available in 2.5L and 3.0L gas engine with manuals and they are the same clutches. The 2.7 Diesel jag offered overseas is certainly a different flywheel and would not work for out application.

Got it resurfaced! Saved me over $600+ dollars after it was all said and done. Armand of Bessette Motor Works said it should last another 90k+ (depending on the driver). Check out his work! This was one of the first jobs I documented everything so I will be posting a DIY step by step with pics. He had a full automotive machine shop in his house. He even works on Sundays it was awesome. I owe my neighbor some beers for the hook up. Check out Armands website : bmotorworks.com

vbpgimage.php

vbpgimage.php

vbpgimage.php

vbpgimage.php

He said it was considered a two step flywheel because of the pressure plate bolt holes. He had to take his time with the second step. I guess it was very crooked. He called it the flywheel from hell LOL.

Members online

No members online now.
Back