Code 1537

vietnamvet

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

My name is Mike and have run into a problem added to all my others. My son passed away on the 14th of January and left his 1996 Lincoln Mark VIII to his daughter.

I brought the car home and it was running a little rough so I connected my OBDII Scanner Up and it read code P1537. I cleared the code and started the vehicle and let it warm up a little while even though the CEL came on again.

When I reconnected the Scanner, it had two codes. Both were P1537.

These new cars blow me away. I just finished building a 64 Chevelle and working on a 65 Mustang Fastback which are easy compared the what I am looking at on this car.

I really don't know where to begin. If someone can offer me some assistance, advice and pictures, it would be of great assistance.

Thanks in Advance.

Intake Manifold Runner Control is bad.. probably a torn diaphragm on the passenger bank. Standing at the bumper and viewing engine, its to the left of the throttle body..
Let me see if I can dig up a photo

Here's the inside of the IMRC vacuum pot

20121129_090306.jpg

This is a failed diaphragm

20120423_145939.jpg

This is the backside view of a 2nd Gen engine, you see the 2 cables that split and connect to the lower side of the Plenum. Where the cables connect are the Manifold Runner.. your car won't have the square module like this one, it'll have 2 black "pepper shaker" looking modules with a plug on each
They open the secondary intake valves for each cylinder.. if stuck open you're In a lean condition

sucks you have a 96...you have intake manifold runner control solenoids (imrc) stuck open code and they just are not available anymore...those who have found good ones usually keep em for spares

96 is the only year that have these specific parts...good luck

there was a memeber on here who has rebuilt the 96 imrc solenoids...using 93-95 parts not sure if it worked out or not

sucks you have a 96...you have intake manifold runner control solenoids (imrc) stuck open code and they just are not available anymore...those who have found good ones usually keep em for spares

96 is the only year that have these specific parts...good luck

there was a memeber on here who has rebuilt the 96 imrc solenoids...using 93-95 parts not sure if it worked out or not

I rebuild them, and in order to use a Gen1 OBD1 pot, you need a retune to delete the CEL light for the IMRC module since its electronic on the 96. You can't just use the diaphragm because the OBD1 pot is a lot smaller in diameter and doesn't have the movement distance of the OBD2 pot.

Oh.. and HI Mike!! Welcome to LVC!!! :)
Sorry to hear about your son :(

Looking at the back of the engine, I am assuming that you are talking about the retangular box on the left rear side. It has two cables running up to a mechanical selonoid on each side. If I am correct, it appears that it is operated by mechanical means without vacuum. Am I correct??

Both look like a PITA to access.

Regarding the Gen 1 OBD1 Pot. I am confused. I used a OBDII Scanner.

I had the same problem, check to see if there's slack in the cable mine was just stuck. I sprayed the return springs with oil to free them up and they've been fine.

Members online

No members online now.
Back