Coil, valve cover gasket, battery, pcm, rf interference. im lost..

lincolnls2004

LVC Member
Reaction score
Alright, i know there is 1,000,000 questions on this foum about coils so please bear with me. I'm going to list off problems/symptoms that have been going on with my 2004 lincoln ls v8 for about 2 years and things I've tried to fix them. If you have any input, please let me know.

-Etc failsafe mode with no CEL

-Previously when ETC failsafe mode came on it came up with 4 CEL codes p2104, p2107,p2110 and i can not remember the 4th code.

-Car runs fine driving under normal conditions, smooth idle, no misfires.

-When increasing rpm's (flooring or coming close to flooring the gas pedal) making a power surge, the car feels like the transmission or engine does not know what to do and shuts off. Casuing ETC failsafe mode.

-When driving the car and ETC failsafe mode happens, I turn off the ignition, put it in neutral and start it back up, problem is no longer present. Put it in drive and the car runs normal. Occasionally a problem happens where my temp. gauge spikes and say "check engine temp" but goes right back down to normal seconds after message appears.

-Took it to stealership and they told me to replace throttle body, replaced it and the problem still occured.

-Bought a new tps also and installed that, problem not fixed.

-Switched around the coils. I've heard that the wires will cause interference with the coils and send crazy signals, still not fixed.

-Saw there was a warranty for coils, thinking about driving two hours to a really nice Lincoln dealership in Schaumburg, Il.

-I currently live in Mendota, Il. and all the dealerships around me don't know anything about LSes and this warranty.

Should i get the coils stress tested or should i order 8 new coils from Advance Auto since they have a really good deal going on right now for them. I'm just really fed up with this problem and 2 years later with almost more that 1k$ spent on it...

If anyone has any tips or anything to replace please let me know how to solve this issue, tired of messing with stealerships, would rather talk to someone who actually knows what their talking about have worked on issues like this before.

If i left out any information you would like to know about my situation that would help you diagnose my problem, please let me know, and i will get back to you ASAP with the information.

Thanks in advance, and happy new years eve everyone!
Terry Clark, A frusterated LS owner :L

Replace the and plugs. Failing coils will not throw a code but WILL cause an ETC fail code. Get QUALITY coils or you will be doing this again soon. I had a NAPA coil last about 9 months and less than 3K miles.

Been there, done that, have the t-shirt.....

Replace the and plugs. Failing coils will not throw a code but WILL cause an ETC fail code. Get QUALITY coils or you will be doing this again soon. I had a NAPA coil last about 9 months and less than 3K miles.

Been there, done that, have the t-shirt.....

I'm going to order BWD ignition coils from Advance Auto, if this works, which im guessing it will by your knowledge, thank you very much. i appreciate it very much and thank you for taking time to help me out. :yourock:

Get eight new Motorcraft coils and eight new NGK spark plugs. You have to change the spark plugs when you change the coils. (Bad coils damage spark plugs, damaged spark plugs cause new coils to go bad...) Also be sure to check that the new plugs are gap'd correctly. Don't trust them, measure each one.

Get eight new Motorcraft coils and eight new NGK spark plugs. You have to change the spark plugs when you change the coils. (Bad coils damage spark plugs, damaged spark plugs cause new coils to go bad...) Also be sure to check that the new plugs are gap'd correctly. Don't trust them, measure each one.

thank you very much for this information. will also order 8 new spark plugs and check them before installation. does owners guide give me gap info. or do you know off the top of your head the size? first thing i did was call and cancel my appointment with the stealership for next week! 8 new coils and 8 new plugs almost ordered! you guys are awesome :D

..but your lower back will ache :D

hahah this is true! i'm only 21 so hopefully it wont ache for too long, it will be worth it. dealing with the "service supervisors" at the stealerships this morning already gave me a headache way worse than the pain this will cause. "but if theres no messages, how do you know its the coil :confused:" lol i should have just hung up then

not sure if this works, but here's a picture of the money pit.

i would like to thank LS4me and joegr! i replaced all 8 coils (bwd) not motorcraft. hopefully they don't go bad on me soon! also 8 new plugs. just got back from my "test drive" and no etc failsafe mode would kick in. so about 2-3k$ later. new coils and transmission solenoid replaced, car drives like its fresh off the assembly like... (for now)

Thats great news! Failing coils are known to cause unrelated issues, and false CEL codes.

Members online

Back