cold air intake advice/input

RGVlsFan

LVC Member
Reaction score
I have a 2003 genII ls v6 and im curious. Would a typhoon 69 series cai fit? They dont make one for the 3.0 but would it fit with some modifications. Or if you guys know where i can get a decent cai for the 3.0 gen II?
Thanks in advance

I have a 2003 genII ls v6 and im curious. Would a typhoon 69 series cai fit? They dont make one for the 3.0 but would it fit with some modifications. Or if you guys know where i can get a decent cai for the 3.0 gen II?
Thanks in advance

Whatever you do will have to be a custom one-off as there is nothing available.

it would take a lot of modification, mostly an entirely new intake pipe, the throttle bodies are pretty far from each other. i guess you could cut it where it starts to bend toward the engine, then just weld something to make it straighter

the easy way

basically start with a MAF adapter, and a filter of your choice.

Thank you. Yeah i barely have 6 months with my baby and have been doing research on here as well as google. Kkm use to make one but they emailed me saying it was discontinued due to lack of demand. And i believe them. Not alot of ppl have the 3.0 when compared to the 3.9. If it was my choice i would've gone with the v8. But i bought mine from my sister for 1800. Always wanted a nice car and she needed money so i went for it. I do wanna keep it for years not like that little kid that wanted to make a millenium falcon out of his. Oh man that was hilarious. For now i've just been doing routine maintenance,but i'd like to dab into a few mods. Idk i see everyone talking about the "noise" the noise the cai makes and i wanna join in on the fun lol. I figured he cai would have to be custom. I dont wanna settle for a spectre cai or that $65 dollar one from ebay. I was thinking what you said loud ls and just cut it right where the tube meets the intake on the 3.0. I understand the 3.9's intake is on the opposite side so i would have extra parts to use.

You'd get better performance from a Magnaflow or Borla cat-back. It will also sound nice!!!

Thank you. Yeah i barely have 6 months with my baby and have been doing research on here as well as google. Kkm use to make one but they emailed me saying it was discontinued due to lack of demand. And i believe them. Not alot of ppl have the 3.0 when compared to the 3.9. If it was my choice i would've gone with the v8. But i bought mine from my sister for 1800. Always wanted a nice car and she needed money so i went for it. I do wanna keep it for years not like that little kid that wanted to make a millenium falcon out of his. Oh man that was hilarious. For now i've just been doing routine maintenance,but i'd like to dab into a few mods. Idk i see everyone talking about the "noise" the noise the cai makes and i wanna join in on the fun lol. I figured he cai would have to be custom. I dont wanna settle for a spectre cai or that $65 dollar one from ebay. I was thinking what you said loud ls and just cut it right where the tube meets the intake on the 3.0. I understand the 3.9's intake is on the opposite side so i would have extra parts to use.

do we have pictures? I must have missed this thread

Yes i do want a cat back exhaust down the road But i want to start off with a cai to let the car breath in a little better then get the cat back to let the car breath out. Ok well idk what order but i do want to get both of them. I knw i can install all kinds of catback systems. Im just wondering how im going to do a cai for the 3.0

do we have pictures? I must have missed this thread

Not make it look like the Falcon, make it fly like Falcon. Something along the lines of "I wanna dump 10 grand in this mofo and make it millenium falcon fast"

Found it. Minimum required reading is posts #1-8, which spans Oct '13 to Jan '14. Dustin (as well as all the turbo threads" is the reason I'm not posting my own "build" thread until I've actually finished something.

http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/forum/showthread.php?91493-Ls-500&highlight=ls+mofo+turbo

sh!t for the ten grand he wanted to put into that car, he could have just bought the LSX(the car, not the motor...)... no shortage of aftermarket there!

Yes i do want a cat back exhaust down the road But i want to start off with a cai to let the car breath in a little better then get the cat back to let the car breath out. Ok well idk what order but i do want to get both of them. I knw i can install all kinds of catback systems. Im just wondering how im going to do a cai for the 3.0

The V6 exhaust is very restrictive. I would start with a cat-back, then get a K&N flat panel filter and cut out the bottom of the stock air box. You can also install a tube (I used 4" dryer vent) that grabs air from behind the grill and up into that hole under the air box.

The V6 exhaust is very restrictive. I would start with a cat-back, then get a K&N flat panel filter and cut out the bottom of the stock air box. You can also install a tube (I used 4" dryer vent) that grabs air from behind the grill and up into that hole under the air box.
Thats good advice, ill look into going this route exhaust and cut out the stock air box. Until i can come up with a decent cai that doesn't look loke it was duct taped or something. But yea that millenium falcon kid had me cracking up.

it would take a lot of modification, mostly an entirely new intake pipe, the throttle bodies are pretty far from each other. i guess you could cut it where it starts to bend toward the engine, then just weld something to make it straighter

the easy way

basically start with a MAF adapter, and a filter of your choice.

Would a genI kkm cai intake kit for the 3.0 fit a genII 3.0? Found one on ebay

Would a genI kkm cai intake kit for the 3.0 fit a genII 3.0? Found one on ebay

do you mean an adapter from a 3.9? if so...

from looking at it, I kinda think it would.

yes the intake tube is longer, but isn't the airbox the same for both cars which holds the MAF and is replaced by the KKM adapter, then the KKM would just slip on to either intake tube and then tighten the clamp?

I know this can be done for 1st gens because I machined and welded up an adapter to bolt to the OEM MAF holder (which on 1st gens just unbolts bolts from the air box) to allow an old K&n filter i had from a mustang. then after my 3.0 was totaled, I gave it to my cousin who put it on his 3.9. but I know that the two generations are pretty different in this area.

however if you are talking about an adapter from a 1st gen 3.0 going on a 2nd gen 3.0, then no, there are a couple of big differences.

I have a KKM adaptor and filter for a Gen2 v6 in my garage I can sell you if you are interested. I used it during the summers for about 6 years before I sold my v6 LS. The condition is excellent on the MAF adaptor piece but I'm not sure on the filter. I believe I cleaned it and put it away dry because I ran out of oil for it. I'll dig it out and send you some pics.

I have a KKM adaptor and filter for a Gen2 v6 in my garage I can sell you if you are interested. I used it during the summers for about 6 years before I sold my v6 LS. The condition is excellent on the MAF adaptor piece but I'm not sure on the filter. I believe I cleaned it and put it away dry because I ran out of oil for it. I'll dig it out and send you some pics.
Sure email me some pics contrerasadan11@gmail.com if its in good condition ill take it

do you mean an adapter from a 3.9? if so...

from looking at it, I kinda think it would.

yes the intake tube is longer, but isn't the airbox the same for both cars which holds the MAF and is replaced by the KKM adapter, then the KKM would just slip on to either intake tube and then tighten the clamp?

I know this can be done for 1st gens because I machined and welded up an adapter to bolt to the OEM MAF holder (which on 1st gens just unbolts bolts from the air box) to allow an old K&n filter i had from a mustang. then after my 3.0 was totaled, I gave it to my cousin who put it on his 3.9. but I know that the two generations are pretty different in this area.

however if you are talking about an adapter from a 1st gen 3.0 going on a 2nd gen 3.0, then no, there are a couple of big differences.
Yes sir i meant the latter, a gen 1 kit (maf adapter) on a gen2 3.0. Aw man that sucks. I was hoping they would be compatible. Both being a duratec30 minus the vvt on the gen2.

while I don't know the exact differences, they style of the two sensors are completely different. I am assuming that there are not compatible with each other.

while I don't know the exact differences, they style of the two sensors are completely different. I am assuming that there are not compatible with each other.
Oh ok thank you for the advice. I didnt wanna buy it and then have to send it back.
On another note i just entered in the marlboro sweepstakes. Hopefully i win that million lol so i can show my baby some love.

Oh ok thank you for the advice. I didnt wanna buy it and then have to send it back.
On another note i just entered in the marlboro sweepstakes. Hopefully i win that million lol so i can show my baby some love.

Quick update. Just paypaled n8bachelor the cash for the cai. Just waiting on it to ship

Members online

No members online now.
Back