compressor will not turn off? Looks like i have a lift kit.

Jnot42

LVC Member
Reaction score
So i know we are all used to hearing everyone complain how there air ride doesn't work......but ive got an odd problem with mine. The compressor turns on once the car is started but doesn't turn off.......well at least i haven't left the air ride switch on long enough to see if it would go off, but its already way to high. i know i likely caused a problem in the system seems i had an aftermarket module to control my ride high and fried it some where down the line. I wired my system back to stock yesterday. the car pumped right up but she didn't stop:confused:. Any ideas what could be wrong? bad sensor? bad relay? i dont know where to begin. any help is greatly appreceated!

thanks!

45 seconds, or about, is the time limit cut-off for the pump. If it runs longer than that (or of the relay is shot and the pump is not running, but its thinks it is) the system will through a check air-ride alert on the message center.

Other things can be the hight sensors being off. If one pops off it may cause this issue because the car is trying to raise the height but is seeing no change.

The car operates the front only first, then the back. Can I assume the front is high but the back is not?

I bet its an issue in your re-wire. One of the sensor inputs not connected. You may have fried the module as well.

For the record, the module will only allow try to run the compressor for a maximum of 90 seconds before "timing out" and shutting down the system. But keep in mind the relay has power 24/7. If it spazes out, it can run the compressor as long as it wants too.

Normally, the problem described is a sensor that has popped off....or a broken mounting stud for the sensor.

With all that being said, if the system has been rewired.....you can throw all that out the window.

Ah, thanks Eddie. I had timed mine a couple times and it was 40-45 seconds, but I later found I had a bad relay and it may have been overheating.

Ah, thanks Eddie. I had timed mine a couple times and it was 40-45 seconds, but I later found I had a bad relay and it may have been overheating.

No problem. Although it normally won't trip unless its really bad, there's also the thermal limiter in the compressor. As soon as a really bad compressor pulls a ton of amps, it can shut down until cool down.

sorry about the late response guys...been busy. im going to go ahead and assume its the relay and try swapping it with the abs relay 1st. everything is in place as far as the sensors go. the terminal that shorted on my aftermarket module was the power to the compressor. which makes further sense that it would be the relay i must have fried. thanks for all the great answers! i didnt dare let the compressor reach its 90 second cut out time, as the front is already much to high! i will be sure to report my success or failure as far as the relay is concerned.

also the air ride computer seems to be fine....if im able to turn the compressor off from the off switch in the trunk would this still leave the relay as a potential culprit? everything is wired completely back to original.

also the air ride computer seems to be fine....if im able to turn the compressor off from the off switch in the trunk would this still leave the relay as a potential culprit? everything is wired completely back to original.

Pretty sure the switch is second in line. Fuse/switch/relay+computer. So probably safe to say the relay is worth checking.

Pretty sure the switch is second in line. Fuse/switch/relay+computer. So probably safe to say the relay is worth checking.

wiring looks like this.

fullsystemschematic.gif

so if you turn off the switch and the computer cuts power to the compressor, i would say the relay is good.

i vote sensor wiring issue. the car thinks it is siting too low and is trying to go up. check your wiring. the sensors don't usually go bad.

Hmmmmm…. thank you Unity and Chris. Both answers seem to make sense. I can see the switch being able to overtake the relay.. .for two reasons: 1 the switch in some way reports to the module, which may somehow turn the relay off, and 2.... there are no messages popping up on the message center that state any problems regarding the air ride system, and I’ve checked and double checked the wiring the colors match up...I could be wrong though so I will check again! Also Chris you mentioned the height sensors which also makes sense....cause it does seem that the relay is hot at all times... if it were stuck engaged the switch would have no effective changes to the relay...so it seems. With that said I will check the relay first, only because for the coast of nothing I’m able to swap it with the abs relay....If that fails I will have to order new sensors and try that out. Thanks again everyone! if anyone has any alternative ideas I’m not opposed to hearing them!!!!!

Jnot, have u had luck on fixing ur problem? It would be kool if u shared ur findings I have the same problem on my 97.

Still no luck, going to start playing with it again. Hopefully I can reach the verdict.

I change my front revelers , i got them used in it took care of that problem. Good luck, hope it works for you to.

I held a air compressor today, it has a red, black, blue and white wire set, what does the blue and white go to and operate

Members online

No members online now.
Back