console speakers

ls01

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
well over the weekend i put in a new head unit and the sound sucks i can only figure out how to run my 4 door spks and my 2 12s does anyone kno how to run the console and the rear deck subs in? :runaway:

Sounds like to me you have the alpine system and you most likely got the wire harness for the non-alpine system.. I had a hard time finding the harness for the non-alpine system. They might have gotten the mixed up where ever you got it from. The non alpine system doesn't come with console speaker or rear deck speakers just 4 door speakers..

The center channel speaker and the subs both have factory amps. The eight-pin connector to the back of the stock radio has the (line level) mono inputs for the front center and the rear subs. It also has two control pins to turn the amplifiers on.

my wireing can with 2 different connector but i didnt know where to put it in.

im not real smart in these kinda of things

Could someone post some pics of the console speakers for me? Thinking about throwing some in my 2000 ls without the alpine. Thanks

i didnt know where to put it in.

Thats what she said!

my wireing can with 2 different connector

the other connector should of had two RCA plugs, two blue wires and two black/white wires comming out of it, one of the RCA's plugs into the sub out on the radio, the other plugs into the front out (unless your head unit has a center out) and then both of the blue wires connect to the radio's amp turn on wire and then the harness connects to the small harness that fits into it from the back of the factory radio, you will also need to put resistors in line with the remote turn on wires to keep the amps from "popping" when it is turned on

BTW, the center console speakers are just for sound effects from the factory DSP, which most aftermarket radios do not have, and since you can only send left OR right sound to both speakers (since they have only one input channel) it will probably mess up the stereo imaging

Yeah, there's no easy way to get the console or rear decks to work unless you add an aftermarket amplifier. Odds are the head unit is capable of powering those console speakers, and even the rear deck speakers as long as they are not too power hungry. Slap a more powerful 4 channel amp in to power your door speakers.

I had an older small amp that I used to power my console and rear deck speakers. I played around with the stereo, having the left speaker set to left, and then swapping it so the left side played the "right" signal. I even used RCA's to convert the stereo signal to two mono signals for each side. Ended up settling on having the driver console play right and the passenger console play left, that way when people's knees block the door, you can still hear the other channel. No negative impact on imaging when you are solo. Rear decks obviously remained left as left and right as right but are now full frequency range since I replaced the speakers (got rid of that awful boom sound in the rear deck. Set the balance by using the gain on the amp.
Let your sub handle the majority of the bass.

Yeah, there's no easy way to get the console or rear decks to work unless you add an aftermarket amplifier. ...

I disagree. It is very easy to get the factory subs to work with the factory amp with an aftermarket head unit, as long as the aftermarket head unit has line level sub output(s). The center speakers are easy too, but why bother. They don't add anything useful sound wise.

I disagree. It is very easy to get the factory subs to work with the factory amp with an aftermarket head unit, as long as the aftermarket head unit has line level sub output(s). The center speakers are easy too, but why bother. They don't add anything useful sound wise.

True about the factory subs, but I thought he was trying to get a full range signal from the rear deck. He has 2 12's so I'm not sure what good those rear decks would do as far as bass. Like you say, why bother?

The consoles are nice to have; they improve imaging especially with a passenger next to you. I'm used to having them and notice the difference immediately when they are off. In the end its what sounds good to the user I guess.

Without an amp its much less straight forward. Where would the signal com from so that the factory amp can run the console speakers? If he uses a line level out, which is also powering his doors, will that mess with the sound? How would you avoid having both play either left or right channel?

I should add to my previous post; I said he could use his new radio to power the consoles and rear decks. I believe all those factory speakers we are discussing are 2 ohms which the new radio probably will not power separately. I use a 2 ohm stable 4 channel amp; but now it powers two 2 ohm Infinity Kappa's in the console and two Infinity reference in the rear deck instead of all the 2 ohm ford speakers. No matter where you sit, the sound is balanced and you have stereo.

Members online

Back