Cruise and wipers working intermittently.....???

hannibal

LVC Member
Reaction score
Well, I just got back from a long ride (2000 kms) in my 2002 LS V8 that I bought last week. A couple of things I discovered.... Upon setting the cruise, it will work for about 15 mins, then it will mysteriously shut itself off. I will not be able to turn the cruise on again until I actually shut the car off and then start it again. Very strange, any ideas?? The same basically applies for the wipers, only when they are in INT mode. They work fine in high and low, just when they are in INT mode, they will only work for a while or not at all until I shut off and restart the car. Anyone know what could be causing these problems?? I initially thought it could be the clock spring with the cruise issue, but because it will turn back on as soon as the car is restarted, I'm not sure that the clock spring has anything to do with the problem.:confused:

Sure sounds like a clock spring issue to me. I had the same thing happen to me on '94 Lightning. The cruise, horn, and wipers behaved erratically over a long period of time before they finally became inoperative completely. The final straw was the airbag warning light which came on and stayed on. Mine was very intermittent for a long time and I was convinced that I had other problems but it turned out to be the c/s. Good luck!

I was under the impression that the wiper switch would be directly wired in, and didn't go through the clock spring. Can anyone confirm this?

I have to push forward and up, on the turn signal, for mine to wipe, I'm curios if there's an adjustment, or I need to replace the Multifunction switch??

Maybe your looking at two unrelated problems. I replaced my c/s (bad volume controls) and if my memory is correct the wiper switch does not plug into the c/s.

Linlin, I think that you're right, the wiper problem and cruise problems may not be related. Does the cruise issue sound like it could be the clock spring though?? Did your volume controls work intermittently or not at all? If you restarted the car would they work again??

Anyone else have any ideas?

hannibal said:
Linlin, I think that you're right, the wiper problem and cruise problems may not be related. Does the cruise issue sound like it could be the clock spring though?? Did your volume controls work intermittently or not at all? If you restarted the car would they work again??

Anyone else have any ideas?

At first my volume controls acted very strange also. I thought it had to do with re-starting the car also, but then it started to act up right after re-starting the car. Then if I just turned the radio off for awhile and turned it back on it would work for awhile. The real test was (while parked) was to hold the volume button while turning the steering wheel right and left. It would stop working mid-turn, and then start working again. I had the car at the dealer (for an oil change) and asked them to look at it. They said it was the volume switch. I did'nt believe it but they are the pros, right. Anyway I replaced the volume switch first, but that did not fix the problem. I did the c/s and now it's good.

Since it's your cruise switch the "turn the wheel" test will be much harder to perform unless you can find a big parking lot where you can drive in circles. I think the crise will engage at low speeds (25 - 30 mph). Be careful.

BTW if anyone needs a working volume control switch for the steering wheel I got one.

LINLIN said:
Since it's your cruise switch the "turn the wheel" test will be much harder to perform unless you can find a big parking lot where you can drive in circles. I think the crise will engage at low speeds (25 - 30 mph). Be careful.
QUOTE]

Yeah, it's going to be pretty tough to do this test with the cruise set.....:D I'll try to find a parking lot big enough and empty enough!

Maybe the intermittent wiper problem is the stalk? I'll do some more investigating today......

My intermittent wiper are acting also. I noticed it the other day. When I had them in the regular, not automatic, mode they would wipe at different intervals, almost as though it was stuck in the automatic mode. They work fine when put on low or fast. Very strange.

Members online

Back