Cruise control not holding speed

vt solo2

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, the other day I was driving home and the cruise control started to act a little funny. It would work for a few minutes but then it wouldn't hold the speed, almost like I was coasting. The light on the dash stays on. I've been playing with it and it's really weird, sometimes it'll work for a few mintues before losing speed, other times it won't hold the speed at all (the light comes on both times). I thought about the clockspring, but I don't have any of the usual symptoms. I checked under the hood and the cable is still connected (it wasn't when I first got the car). It's a 2000 V6 with 100k. I know I have a coil going bad, it's not that bad yet, I only notice it every blue moon under load going 40-50 mph. Does anyone have any ideas? Thank you!

Vinnie

the same thing is happening on mine. there's just to much other crap for me to fix to worry about it (like ignition coils, then my heated seat).

same here i fixed coil packs already but my cruise doesnt work i heard it could be my clock spring so thats my next goal

everything else works except it doesn't hold the speed. the lights come on and everything.

everything else works except it doesn't hold the speed. the lights come on and everything.

Yours is not a clockspring issue. It sounds like an internal fault with the cruse control module/servo assembly. You can probably get one cheap from a junk yard.

It's possible it's a first sign of clockspring failure, but I'd make a first guess as joegr did, control module/servo assembly considering it works but inconsistantly.

I'd would say clockspring first! I had the same things happen as what you describe. Plus, I also had it with the volume control and eventually the airbag light was constantly on. All are clockspring issues. The steering wheel controls, horn, and airbag all run through the clockspring.

They do, but the clockspring doesn't see the heat the servo sees. Heat causes servos to act as he's descibing, hold properly for a while then lose power. Clockspring issues normally cause things just to simply stop. Just my $0.02.

I doubled on jogr's recommendation for the above reasoning in addition to the fact it's a much easier swapout coupled with getting it from a local boneyard, it'd likely be cheaper too.

+like 4 or something servo, when the clock spring goes bad the switches loose contact from the servo and the cruise light wont turn on (the light is activated by the servo). so in short, if you see the light come on the clock spring is ok, so either the cable is broken (not likely since yours sometimes works) the servo is bad or the vss (vehicle speed sensor) is bad, and the car doesnt know how fast its going.

the same thing is happening on mine. there's just to much other crap for me to fix to worry about it (like ignition coils, then my heated seat).

It sounds like it's (hopefully) the servo, I'm not sure how easy it is to fix, but I know the clockspring isn't that easy. But you're right, I should probably worry about the other things like coils, etc.

Just out of curiosity, how easy is it to replace the servo? Thank you to everyone that replied.

It sounds like it's (hopefully) the servo, I'm not sure how easy it is to fix, but I know the clockspring isn't that easy. But you're right, I should probably worry about the other things like coils, etc.

Just out of curiosity, how easy is it to replace the servo? Thank you to everyone that replied.

I haven't done it, but it looks easy. Just disconnect the throttle cable, unplug the electrical connector, and remove a few bolts. If you're lucky, the same module/assembly fits several other Ford/Lincoln/Mercury, and not just the LS.

Hi everyone, the other day I was driving home and the cruise control started to act a little funny. It would work for a few minutes but then it wouldn't hold the speed, almost like I was coasting. The light on the dash stays on. I've been playing with it and it's really weird, sometimes it'll work for a few mintues before losing speed, other times it won't hold the speed at all (the light comes on both times). I thought about the clockspring, but I don't have any of the usual symptoms. I checked under the hood and the cable is still connected (it wasn't when I first got the car). It's a 2000 V6 with 100k. I know I have a coil going bad, it's not that bad yet, I only notice it every blue moon under load going 40-50 mph. Does anyone have any ideas? Thank you!

Vinnie

Did you ever get this fixed?

I have the exact same problem that you are describing, but mine just quit working altogether. No cruise light anymore. All in about a 3 day period.
All the other controls on my steering wheel work perfectly, I just don't have cruise control anymore.

Thank you,
StevenBrown
2003 LS V8

Did you ever get this fixed?

I have the exact same problem that you are describing, but mine just quit working altogether. No cruise light anymore. All in about a 3 day period.
All the other controls on my steering wheel work perfectly, I just don't have cruise control anymore.

Thank you,
StevenBrown
2003 LS V8

Your light is off, so you don't have exactly the same problem at all.
You have a gen II, so there is no cruise control module to change. Cruise is just a function of software running in the PCM using the electronic throttle.

Your problem is 99% certain to be the classic failing clockspring issue. If you have a DMM, I can link you to a troubleshooting flowchart to verify that it is the clockspring, but that is almost as much work as just replacing it.

The clockspring has multiple wires. If only the wire for the cruise buttons breaks, then you will lose only the cruise functions. If you don't fix it now, probably the other wires will break too.

Thank you "joegr",
Looks like the Clockspring will be my next project.

Thanks,
StevenBrown
2003 LS V8

I actually haven't fixed it yet. I had an airbag light come on a few months ago which ended up being a clockspring, even though all of the other controls still worked. Unfortunately it didn't fix my cruise, but the cruise light always came on when I would try. So I'm thinking it's either the VSS or the module/servo. But I think I have a coil going bad, so that's the first on the ever growing list to fix...

Just as some other people have replied, your issue sounds like a clockspring to me. I'd be willing to bet that you'll start losing other steering wheel functions and seeing other clockspring symptions soon.

Thank you for the reply "vt solo2", I appreciate it.

StevenBrown
2003 Lincoln LS Premium Sport V8

I actually haven't fixed it yet. I had an airbag light come on a few months ago which ended up being a clockspring, even though all of the other controls still worked. Unfortunately it didn't fix my cruise, but the cruise light always came on when I would try. So I'm thinking it's either the VSS or the module/servo. But I think I have a coil going bad, so that's the first on the ever growing list to fix...

Just as some other people have replied, your issue sounds like a clockspring to me. I'd be willing to bet that you'll start losing other steering wheel functions and seeing other clockspring symptions soon.

It's not VSS if your ABS and your speedometer are working. Note that these cars don't have an actual VSS sensor. Instead, the ABS controller averages the speed readings from the wheel sensors to produce a VS signal.
I still vote that it's the cruise control module. (Gen I has one, gen II doesn't.)

That's interesting, I didn't realize these cars didn't have a VSS. It completely makes sense, I just saw someone post it before, so I thought I'd add it to the list of things to check. I'm glad it's one less thing to look at. :)

Hi vt solo2 , did you ever fix your cruise control ? If so what did it end up being? I have the same problem with my 02 LS , have changed the servo unit still not working .I would appreciate knowing what it was if you fixed it ..thanks Dave

Hi vt solo2 , did you ever fix your cruise control ? If so what did it end up being? I have the same problem with my 02 LS , have changed the servo unit still not working .I would appreciate knowing what it was if you fixed it ..thanks Dave

Hi Dave, I never did figure it out, I ended up trading the car in. It developed an oil pressure issue, and everyone wanted more than the car was worth to just diagnose it. So with that new problem on top of the cruise not working, near constant coil failures, valve cover leaks, and other looming maintenance items, I gladly traded it away for a new Fusion with a nice long warranty.

If I remember correctly, one other thing to check is to make sure the cruise control cable is actually connected to the throttle body. There should be 2 or three cables connected to the throttle body that can open the blade, just make sure they're all connected. When I first bought the car it wasn't connected, got my cruise working for a couple of years before it really failed.

Good luck.

if the steering wheel controls work minus the cruise not engaging staying on then it is the cruise control module in the drivers fender in the crease same side as the fuel filter . To find the problem remove the plastic fender well, than remove the two I think 11mm bolts holding the bracket and module together, disconnect the electrical connector (harness), now because the box is aluminuim it most probably is corroded with white power stuff, the inside should be fine. Now disconnect the cruise control cable you can tell how to take it apart get some slack form the cable and work it out of the groove and a small metal clip. Now get a Torx driver I think T15 take out the torx screws then take off the cover once the cover is off you we see two plastic and one metal roung gears that should move FREELY if they don't and are locked up there is your problem. you need another module.those gears need the move freely.

Members online

No members online now.
Back