does the ceck engine light have to be on if the coils go bad?

Rooski

LVC Member
Reaction score
So, I believe my car misfires a little bit, and it does it even more if I don't drive it for a couple of days, also it doesn't really start that quick, have to crank it for like 3-4 seconds.
But there is no check engine light

Any ideas guys?

also if I decide to change coils, what brand should I go with?
While I'm doing coils I'll be changing valve cover gaskets, any feed back on rockauto.com gaskets ? What else should i change while I have all this apart?

the car is 2000 V6 5spd 86k miles

Thank you, Nikolay

You should do the PCV valve and hose as those crack over time and will give you a feeling like it's misfiring.

The check engine light will eventually come on if it's a coil. It just takes until the coil or coils are near dead before that happens unfortunately.

Don't wait for the light to come on to fix this. You are doing damage to the converters.

I had a bad coil and the light didn't come on. I wished it did so I knew which coil died.

I drove maybe 100 miles (out of necessity) like that with the car studdering and shaking and what not.

I agree with the above poster. Fix it ASAP

I just did mine 01V6

Rockauto is ok, got all the gaskets from them - FELPRO

Here is a list of what you'll need.
upper manifold gasket, lower manifold gasket
valve cover gaskets, PCV valve, PCV hose (this one runs to the throttle body)
You will need the little elbow shaped PCV hose too, not sure if Rockauto has it, but ask for it. I got mine from the local dealer at the last minute $24.50!
You will need plugs and coils, do them all while your there. I bought my coils on ebay on the cheap, they work fine, bought autolight platinum plugs, they work fine. It's a time consuming job, if you need info, let me know.:D

i had one bad coil and the cel did not come on. i was still able to get the error code to find which coil was bad though.

i literally just replaced all the coild and plugs and everything was going good but then i got the check engine light on again. i think my cats are done from the misfiring when my coild where bad but im going to get high flows so i dont care. why else would my check engine light come on? you should change the coils immediately, i read in the manual you could start a fire lol

Well, I just got really good deal on cats, so now I have a set of brand new ones. I have replaced pcv valve before but not the hoses, and i did replace one side of intake gaskets. but now i feel like I just want to redo everything again, so I guess I will buy all the gaskets from rockauto and coils from ebay? What about Amazon.com coils any one tried them out? also what's everyone's choice of spark plugs? I usually use motocraft but I want to try something else this time.
Thanks guys for all the information.

Order the valve cover gasket kit for each side from max@fivestarford and the coils if you want motorcraft order from max. I got mine from alanisdeals on ebay and they've been great but recently I've been reading on here that people have been having problems with coils from alanisdeals. Go with the motorcraft plugs.
(if there isn't any oil leaking from the vcg's you don't need to replace them)

Members online

No members online now.
Back