Door wouldn't close this morning

duckytoos

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Interesting start to my morning today. Past few days we've been getting some snow and morning have been below freezing. I woke up a little hung over at 6:00 am to my girlfriend asking me to start the car and scrape the windows. I head outside, get the car started, shut the door, and it sounds horrible! Like closing the door with the latch closed, metal-to-metal contact. I look at the latch and it moves from open to close freely. I was piss'd wondering where I could get a new latch assembly on a Sunday for the LS. I check the temp for the day and it was supposed to get to 35 around 3:00 pm and I prayed something was just frozen. I went checked it out just now, door shut perfectly. Wtf. Anyone have any similar problems?

Like a seat belt buckle caught in the door kind of sound? I've done that a couple times

I believe this happened to me a few times in cold weather. Spray some WD-40 in the latch assembly and pull the handle a few times and open and close the door as well. I think this was my remedy, hasn't happened to me in a while.

Door Latch

WD-40 contains water! Not recommended on door latches or locks! This locksmith's exsperience! PB Blaster to loosen, liquid or dry graphite recommended to lube!! Silicone spray in warmer weather.

Happened again this morning. Something inside the door or latch assembly is freezing and keeping the latch from engaging. I gently tapped the inside of the door panel and after a few times he latch would finally catch. Does the latch assembly have electronics inside it? I think it does because when the latch closes the int. lights go off. Would it be ok to spray some PB in there?

You need to spray RUST CONTROL products in the door latches. Rust control is oil, and will definitely solve your problems. It did for me :)

Krown T-40 is the spray I use. I HIGHLY recommend KROWN Rust control. also recommend spraying it in your door key holes, trunk key hole, and even in the ignition key hole. Its useful for pretty well anything.

You need to spray RUST CONTROL products in the door latches. Rust control is oil, and will definitely solve your problems. It did for me :)

Krown T-40 is the spray I use. I HIGHLY recommend KROWN Rust control. also recommend spraying it in your door key holes, trunk key hole, and even in the ignition key hole. Its useful for pretty well anything.

Hmmm... Anything you say? Maybe it can fix my creaky bed at night :D

WD-40 contains water! Not recommended on door latches or locks! This locksmith's exsperience! PB Blaster to loosen, liquid or dry graphite recommended to lube!! Silicone spray in warmer weather.

Doesn't "WD" stand for "water displacement"? Regardless it worked fine in my application and nothing has rusted, ever.

And here is the MSDS... I guess you could argue the "<10% Mixture" contains water but I guess we'll never know
http://wd40company.com/files/pdf/msds-wd494716385.pdf

Wd-40

Easy test I have used for 30 yrs. Take 2 lock cylinders. Use WD-40 in one spraying inside of cylinder with straw. Take 2nd lock cylinder spray with liquid graphite. Put both in freezer over night. See which one you can put a key in he next morning! To See is to Believe! JMHO

Right, but also not many people have liquid graphite readily available at 6 in the morning when they are trying to get their door to close so they can leave where ever they are. WD-40 worked for me just fine to get me out of a jam, instead of standing around until the store opened, driving down there trying to hold the door shut and doing it properly.

Members online

Back