dreaded tensioner? .....

TravisLS8

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey all, got the car running 1000% better but I notice a rattle/knock on the drivers side that seems to come and go. I looked on ebay for the tensioner and yikes anywhere from 79-150. Idk how much more I wanna put into this 185k mi car...

You didn't say what year, but Rock Auto has the tensioner for my Gen 2 for 46-54 dollars depending on brand. You can usually find a 5 percent discount code online that essentially makes shipping free.

We are all talking about the timing chain tensioners?

Are we? It wasn't specified... The LS is the first car I've ever been involved in that had a problem with timing chain tensioners so my first thought was the accessory belt tensioner. If it's a timing tensioner, pardon me while I retire from this thread... :cool:

Are we? It wasn't specified... The LS is the first car I've ever been involved in that had a problem with timing chain tensioners so my first thought was the accessory belt tensioner. If it's a timing tensioner, pardon me while I retire from this thread... :cool:

My apologies. Cam tensioner. It is a 2000 3.9

The problem description is quite vague, so we're all shooting in the dark. You'll need to do some proper diagnostics to figure it out.
For the timing tensionner, take off the valve cover and inspect. When they fail, it's usually spectacular.

Whomever does the work, make sure you have them inspect the chain for stretched/damaged links. I had a tensioner replaced in December, and six months later had to get the chain replaced on the same side. I bought a chain kit from Christopher that had a master link so the front cover didn't have to be pulled.

Whomever does the work, make sure you have them inspect the chain for stretched/damaged links. I had a tensioner replaced in December, and six months later had to get the chain replaced on the same side. I bought a chain kit from Christopher that had a master link so the front cover didn't have to be pulled.

+1.
i think the 2000 i put a tensioner in needs a chain as well.

Members online

No members online now.
Back