driving in snow. what to expect?

luttersj

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Living in MN I've obviously driven in snow before. just not with this car. Most recently I drove an F150 4x4 which was good and a '98 Maxima which was bad. We traded the Maxima for a 325i. I was skeptical since it's a small RWD car but the dynamic stability control system combined with good overall balance of the car made it handle amazingly well even in deep slush. Much better than the FWD Maxima. Before that, I had a '92 T-Bird which was a beast in the snow. No traction what-so-ever. So what can I expect with the LS and it's stability control?

I can strongly say that it does not matter if the car is FWD or RWD. Its all in the tires. My wifes old Volvo with all season tires was the most dangerous car I have ever driven in snow. I put a set of Blizzaks on it and it drove like a 4x4 in deep snow. If you get snow tires for your LS you will be perfectly fine.

In your winter you might want to consider 4 snow tires. Here in Reno we can get some deep snow but it doesn’t stick around so I have Spike-Spiders for the time I have to be out in it.

http://www.spike-spider.com/

I can strongly say that it does not matter if the car is FWD or RWD. Its all in the tires. My wifes old Volvo with all season tires was the most dangerous car I have ever driven in snow. I put a set of Blizzaks on it and it drove like a 4x4 in deep snow. If you get snow tires for your LS you will be perfectly fine.

I agree about the tires - I haven't put snow tires on but the difference between a set of Toyo performance tires I used to have and the BFGoodrich KDWS I have on there now is like night and day in the snow.

I've always driven my LS in the snow on the all season tires and have had no problems. My guess is that the performance of the LS in the snow will be comparable to your BMW experience. The AdvaceTrac in combination with the near 50/50 weight distribution gives the LS excellent control in the snow. Now, that said, if I were you I'd get a set of snow tires, especially for MN winters.

well, I'm running Ventus tires (not sure of the exact model etc) right now. When it rains, they break traction when accelerating pretty easily with the traction control turned off. I'm assuming they're gonna suck in the snow. So good call on the tires.

Although, I live in the Minneapolis-St Paul metro area and when there's a threat of snow, the DOT crews are out spreading their stuff all over the roads. That's part of the reason why I decided it would be OK to have 2 RWD vehicles. All of last winter there would have been 1 or 2 days that we might not have been able to get around. I thought that was an OK trade off (F150 to LS) considering the rest of the year is better in the LS.

How long can I expect a set of Blizzaks to last taking into consideration that 90-95% of the time will be no more than wet roads? Thinking about it, maybe I'll just try it how it is and see. Maybe it won't be bad. I'm guessing the only time I'll curse is when I need to get out of a parking lot in a hurry or something.

I've always driven my LS in the snow on the all season tires and have had no problems. My guess is that the performance of the LS in the snow will be comparable to your BMW experience. The AdvaceTrac in combination with the near 50/50 weight distribution gives the LS excellent control in the snow. Now, that said, if I were you I'd get a set of snow tires, especially for MN winters.

I had a hell of a time getting around even with snow tires in PA with the LS, I slid everywhere and the traction control made it worst. Once I had to call for a tow truck, he couldn't get me out but once I turned off the T/C I floored it and got out pretty easy but I was fish tailing everywhere....

???

Mine goes skiing every other weekend in VT. Four good snow tires work wonders (I don't have traction control). Last part of my trip is up a curvy mountain pass with 10% grades. Two times I haven't made it over the top. One in 6 inches of wet slush with the all season tires (unexpected storm in the middle of October) and once where the snow was over the front bumper where no matter how much speed I carried I couldn't get up the grade. Both times I had to wait for the plow (they don't plow that road after dark).

With fresh snow tires I've made it over the gap with up to 6-8 inches on the ground and for regular driving (Flat terrain) I've driven with 12-14 inches (snow flowing over the front bumper and onto the hood when traveling at 20 mph).

Get good snows and drive intelligently and you'll do fine.

Front drive does have an inherent advantage in snow since most of the weight is all over the front wheels. I had a '97 maxima SE 5spd, with factory all-season radials I never had a problem in the snow. Haven't had much chance to drive the LS in the snow as it spent most of last winter sitting at the dealer for various repairs, but the one time I did drive in snow the traction control kept kicking in and the car would not go faster than 5 mph with the factory all-season radials. Tires do make a huge difference, and I will put some real snow tires on it this winter. I had an '88 Mustang GT, and with snow tires and four bags of sand in the back it was fine.

i run the mich pilot sports All seasons, excellent wet traction, very good in the snow. Car don't stop worth a crap though.

Location: Between Milwaukee and Chicago. I drive 130 miles a day, commuter car not not meant for anything else. Snow is not a problem, as long as the depth is less then the under carriage.

I went with a set of Goodyear ComforTred and the performed great last winter compared to the last pair of Goodyear LS tires I had on. I also throw 2 40pd bags of salt in the trunk and it drives better than my wifes front drive freestyle with triple tracks.

Im going with some Blizzaks, and good idea with the salt bags. Guess I could throw in a portable shovel too just in case. Im in Milwaukee, more east side so more slushie crap snow situations.

for my lincoln ls 02

U need the right snow shoes.. ive wasted money on those MICHELIN Pilot® Alpin® PA2™and i ended up sliding all over the place 2 winters ago.. just crap.

Summer: Goodyear Eagle featuring ResponsEdge Technology. GREAT TIRES, SMOOTH!

Winter: Goodyear Eagle Ultra Grip GW-3
handles. grips the snow, love it.

Living in MN I've obviously driven in snow before. just not with this car. Most recently I drove an F150 4x4 which was good and a '98 Maxima which was bad. We traded the Maxima for a 325i. I was skeptical since it's a small RWD car but the dynamic stability control system combined with good overall balance of the car made it handle amazingly well even in deep slush. Much better than the FWD Maxima. Before that, I had a '92 T-Bird which was a beast in the snow. No traction what-so-ever. So what can I expect with the LS and it's stability control?

Members online

Back