Easiest car to sup up?

StinkinLinkinLS01

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
OK so I've dumped about 2k into the LS and I think I'm about as fast as I'm going to get without risking any damage or spending thousands of more dollars. Now I'm only 20 years old and I'm still paying on my LS loan (I am not upside down, loan amount = $10000, priv party value $12000+ easy) so I don't have a ton of money to throw around but because I work on commission things go up and down. Last year I made 26k...13 of which came in the first 3 months (I'm a bill collector and tax season is like xmas).

Anyways I wanna purchase a 2nd car to sup up instead of beating on my LS and risk losing it. I can't really afford to shell out more than $6,000 for the car initially and the mods will come overtime thereafter...

Some say I should go for a car with no engine and swap a crate motor into it in order to get the best bang for my buck.

Others say I should get a '85+ stang/camaro for 3-6k and go from there.

And of course others should say I should go rice style with a Honda, Mistubishi, or toyota of some sort. Problem is I don't really like ricers and I don't know much about the cars themselves.

I want something that looks good, or at least has potential to look good. I also want something that could be a 11-12 sec car with an initial spending limit of $5000-$6000(not including everything I dump into thereafter...but I'd like to be as costeffective as possible)

Most seem to agree that a late 80s mustang is the easiest and cheapest car to sup up. But what about factors like longevity and uniqueness

What do you guys think?

Ok i used to have a 1995 Honda Civic EG, get that for around 2-3K and go LS-VTEC or d16z6 TURBO, cheap way to get into 13's but if u want to go 12's then just swap for a b18c1 GSR engine and turbo that and u should have one hell of a beast for around 10K, oh and keep it stock but fix the body and lower it with some nice 16's rims.... oh and most people go with the Hatch because its lighter, but i had a Coupe EX with all power option and it was way better then my friends HB DX peace of :q:q:q:q..

StinkinLinkinLS01 said:
The civic wouldn't be a bad idea but I don't want to look like every ricer around....

true...
get a early ninties mustange lx, even a 4banger and build it up. they're light cheap and easy to mod. not much for originality though, atleaste in my central FL.

Dude...get a 5.0 Mustang GT. If I had the money for another car, I'd be al over one of those.

Here is my opinion, more cubes make more power. Buy a Stang or Chevy and do a top end kit . . . heads/cam/intake then put some straight pipes on and call it a day. Have fun and go racing!!

Late 80's to mid 90's Mustangs, Camodes, Firebirds are definately the cheapest and easiest.

Others to consider, Mazda RX-7's, Merkur XR4ti's, Nissan 300Zx's, Porsche 944's...There are a lot of older sports cars out there in that price range. I have been kicking around the idea of a 944 for a couple of years myself.

I found a 1985 Buick Regal with 8,000 miles on a professionally rebuilt 455 moto with heads/block shaved to make 10:1 compression, hyper ectic pistons, 350 turbo trannny, shift kit, B&M hammer shifter, full length headers, true dual exhaust, eddlebrach 4 barrel carb and intake, custom aluminum radiator AND a cd player for $5,000. Comes wtih 390hp and 485 ft lbs torque easily running 13s and possible 12s with minor modifications.

I'm thining of a cutlass, regal, or monte, something that will be unique but fast. I wish I could afford a grand national. All my buddies have 5.0s and they all agree that a late 80s early 90s LX with 5.0 would probably be the easiest to sup up but I wanna be a little different....

that regal with the 455 wouldn't be a bad idea...but with such a big heavy motor their isn't much more I can do to it I'd imagine...

i didnt say this but a light car with a chevy 350. cam, headers, exhaust, intake, good set of heads, rollers, posi rear end, good carb. this is the formula to a fast car and it is all cheap. oh yeah, big tires and a chevy 350 with a shift kit. and then theres the 5.0 bolt on supercharger, exhaust, intake, posi and gears, wide tires. if you want to cheat all you have to do is spray a little.

455 is a nice motor and they are never done there is always more . . . in the future if you wanted you could do anything . . . roller rockers/nitrous/supercharger/bigger cam/bigger heads/single plane intake/holley carb/spacer plate/high stall converter/gears/slicks/rear control arms/shift kit . . . and that just off the top of my head but, it is a big heavy car
other idea . . . if you want a monte, buy a LS not an SS with a junk motor and drop a 383 stroker in there . . . aka . . . SLEEPER!!

I have a 97 civic coupe with an H22A swap. (Prelude motor) Makes around 220HP and runs low 14's. Selling for $4500 Firm. I put over 10k into it. Red, no rust, runs excellent. The shop that did my swap did a turbo version of my exact car just after finishing mine as an inshop project. Car made around 400WHP if im not mistaken and ran in the 11's. My civic is not all riced out either. Total sleeper.

http://www.aerosdesign.com/civic

J3FF said:
Dude...get a 5.0 Mustang GT. If I had the money for another car, I'd be al over one of those.

:I I had an 87 GT 5.0 which was so easy to get HP on. Anything i added gave me ponies not only that but the body was light as a feather. :D

Bang for the buck you cant beat a 5.0 mustang, camaro's and firebirds are a bit faster, but alot more, you can buy a 4cyl mustang, swap in a 5.0 or 5.8 and drop in a few mods and slicks and youll run 12's 13's easily.

I don't know how expensive one cost but they seem pretty cheap to hop up and that is a Grand National. I got two friends with them and they are exteremly fast. I personally would go for the 5.0 Mustang but the Grand National would be my second pick. Also a turocharged Probe might be a cheap car to sup up.

if u want a ricer for speed get a honda.. (civic or accord)

if u want a power car.. get a mustang.. 5.0

if u want a car for looks.. get a truck.. u can get it cheap and most trucks have books and books of cheap mods that uc an do to it.. or an SUV.. (chevy suburban 02 would be great)

its all about preference..

Im on a $5000-$6000 budget...lol...i didnt think an 02 Suburban is practical.

Read from the top.

The Grand National is basically a suped up Buick Regal, which is what i was all ready looking at getting. i'm thinking im looking at at least 10k for a good grand national if i'm lucky...

Here is the 1985 Buick Regal with a rebuilt 455 I am looking at:

1G4GM47A2FH436315%2D1.jpg

"Could be a 12 sec car very easy with some minor modifications!
Car has 82,500 miles on body and about 8,000 miles on Professionally rebuilt Buick 455 motor. :D The motor has had the block and heads shaved to make the compression 10:1, hyper etctic pistions, high volume oil pump, slotted holes in the intake for better flow! All said and done it has 390 horsepower and 485 foot pounds of torque. :D Has a built 350 turbo tranny with a shift kit and B&M hammer shifter.Custom full length headers, true dual exhaust with crome tips, eddlebrach 4 barrel carb and intake, custom aluminum radiator, cd player
VERY FAST!!:D :D "

Right now I could get it for $4750!! little to no rust... slight fading in the paint...interior overall good...

What do you think? Should I jump all over this or what?

On a side note:

This car originally came with a 3.8L V6 and would register as such to the insurance man! :D This would save me a ton on a potential 12 sec car!

Bump. Any opinions on this would be great. If I'm gonna do it I gotta pony up the cash within the next 2-3 days or someone else is gonna jump on this. Thanks.

That regal is nice looking my only reservations would be the condition of the body. They are notorious for rotted out floors and rust infront and behind the rear wheel wells. Too bad your not in the New England area, a good friend of mine has a Camaro (drag car) and a convert. 5.0 stang. Both cars are awesome and cheap. I think he has them both posted on craigslist.com (fitchburg). Check them out if you are interested. Both are well worth the money he is asking.

If you want something cheap, get a late 80's Mustang 5.0. I had an 89 LX 5.0 I picked up for $4500. Mods are super cheap too...you can have a 10 second car for under 10 grand lol.

If you come into some money later, get a 93-98 Toyota Supra twin turbo but I warn you... used ones on the LOW end still go for low 20's and that's with over 100k miles :eek: They're very sought after. They'll never break and you'll have something not a million other people has.

They run mid 13's bone stock and with VERY mild mods (boost controller, exhaust, downpipe) they run 12's. Bolt on a single turbo and you can make over 800 TO THE WHEELS RELIABLY on stock internals. What other car can do that?? Plus they're not seen everywhere like Mustangs, Vettes etc....

Members online

No members online now.
Back