El Camino/Ranchero: Car with a bed, or a very very low truck

Moby and Lucille

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
The Psuedo-Metropolis.....Des Moines, IA REPRESENT
I know, I know. Mullet, right? :) (just kidding, El Camino/Ranchero fans...and my humble apologies to all mullet enthusiasts everywhere) :)

This is really a chicken or the egg type question and there really is no right answer, it's more of an opinion thing, a matter of perception, like, is a zebra a white horse with black stripes, or a black horse with white stripes?

The reason that there is no right answer is that this car is simultaneously both a car and a truck, and neither a car or a truck, it's got elements of both, while not really conforming completely to either. It's a car and truck's love child.

But that's what makes this more interesting a question for me, it's all subjective, it's all opinion.... so, lets do this.....in your mind, is the El Camino/Ranchero a truck, or a car? (if it can only be one or the other)

My vote: Car. It's built on a car body, with a car front end and a car cab. It's less a truck and more a topless station wagon two seater........(mullet!!!!) :)

I believe that because the El Camino is more of a truck than, let's say an S-10 or Chevy LUV was, and this may spark another debate, but look at power:weight ratios and so on... that we must classify the Elky / Ranch'er as a truck... otherwise a S-10 would be a car. An Elky can tow more, accelerate faster, and POSSIBLE have a higher payload than a mini truck...

Hi Moby and Lucille

Moby and Lucille said:
.......The reason that there is no right answer is that this car is simultaneously both a car and a truck, and neither a car or a truck, it's got elements of both, while not really conforming completely to either. It's a car and truck's love child.....

Schrodinger's cat!!!!! :D

I believe Mespock is the teacher around here, I will let him explain ;)

Regards

Dereck

Dereck said:
Hi Moby and Lucille

Schrodinger's cat!!!!! :D

I believe Mespock is the teacher around here, I will let him explain ;)

Regards

Dereck

I can't begin to do explain, as this would make me look intelligent. If I look intelligent then it would change the way people look at teachers!

It's kind of like an attorney using ethics! If one would use it then it would ruin everyone's image of Attorneys.

If a teacher looked intelligent then what would people have to complain about!

Hello Dereck. Love the Lincoln!

As far as the El Camino/Ranchero (El/R) The reason I believe they are a car is because they are built on a car platform. The "hickup" trucks like the S-10 etc, are not built on a car platform. All other considerations combined weigh less then that in my opinion.

Yeah, I've got to admit, that I kinda like the El/R too...and I don't even have a mullet!! (alright, alright, I'll stop with the mullet jokes!) :) But I'm not a super huge fan, as while I like them, I like the coupes and sedans they are based on better.

You know, I actually almost bought one once. It was a 1979 Ranchero. The thing had been totally neglected and turned into total crap, it actually died and wouldn't start during the test drive.....I finally got it to after about 15 mins of trying....

I figured that was a sign. :)

To clarify, the('65-'87) Elky(El Camino) is based on the Malibu/Chevelle Wagon , underpinnings, and all: and the Ranchero was based on (pending the year of the model) the full-size Ford Wagon('57-'59), the Falcon wagon('60-'67{?}), the Torino wagon ('68-'79)* (*consequently the '77-'79 LTD II was merely a facelifted Torino platform with new sheetmetal) (The '59-60 Elky was based on the full-size Chevy also.) I like the '70's models of both best. But they both are essentially little more than hollowed-out station wagons.
(BTW, If I was going the way of the Pachuco with a truck, there'd be no other way except an Elky or Rancho! Especially with a set of 100-spoke Daytons!) (I'll pass on the Mullet, had one 10 years ago and hated catching my hair in the door! :q )

you can get B class plates for them so as far as the gov. is conserned they are not a car at all

The LTD II and the Torino split sooner than that, for a while it was called the Ford Elite, then it became the LTD II. I really liked the front end of it.

I also liked the 70's El/Rs better than any before or after.

For the El, I like the early 70's best and late 70's least, for the R, I like the late 70's best and the mid 70's least. I like the early 70's El better than the late 70's R, but the early 70's R better than then mid 70's El. I like the mid 70's R better than the late 70's El.

My head is spinning. :)

Moby and Lucille said:
The LTD II and the Torino split sooner than that, for a while it was called the Ford Elite, then it became the LTD II. I really liked the front end of it.
Actually, the Ford Grand Torino Elite came about in mid-1974 for 1975, as Ford's answer to the Chevy Monte Carlo/Pontiac Grand Prix personal luxury coupes. You see, GM Re-bodied their intermediate cars in 1973, and the Grand Prix/Monte Carlos were selling like wildfire at that time.(even with the OPEC gas crisis raging on at that time.) Ford, in 1973 had only the Mercury Cougar XR-7 as a personal luxury intermediate at that time. The Thunderbird was available at that time, but it had been elevated to what was considered a luxury-car status ( many went for 10 grand or better, in 1973, you could get an Eldorado or Mark IV nicely equipped for 10 large then.) When the average new car was going for 5-6K then, who was going to spend the extra money for a Thunderbird at that time, especially (as mentioned before,) when OPEC was driving the gas price up to a then astronomical $.75 a gallon (think$3 a gallon,today.)(the '73 T-bird only got 9MPG, while the GP got a then, OK 16MPG ) So, Ford needed to come up with"another Bright Idea" to compete in the ferecely competitive mid-size segment, hence on May,21st 1974, Ford had introduced the Grand Torino Elite to keep up with the competition. The Elite remained on the market for the 1975-76 model years.
(Basically, the Elite was a Grand Torino coupe with a Grand-Prix inspired front clip and "opera windows" and marketed as an alternative to the Thunderbird.
"In The Thunderbird Tradition..." was what the ads had proclaimed, to be exact. Incidentally, the LTD II/ Mercury Cougar (&XR7)/Ford Thunderbird/Ranchero were the replacements of the Torino/Montego/XR-7/Elite family in 1977. They were basically "re-skinned" chassis of the former,(with exception of the T-bird which was "downsized" for '77 to the Torino/Montego chassis.)
Sorry to sound like a long-winded Collectible Automobile article. But that's what happened . :Beer Hope I didn't make your head spin further. I think my head's spinning now. :rolleyes:

Randeaux said:
Actually, the Ford Grand Torino Elite came about in mid-1974 for 1975, as Ford's answer to the Chevy Monte Carlo/Pontiac Grand Prix personal luxury coupes. You see, GM Re-bodied their intermediate cars in 1973, and the Grand Prix/Monte Carlos were selling like wildfire at that time.(even with the OPEC gas crisis raging on at that time.) Ford, in 1973 had only the Mercury Cougar XR-7 as a personal luxury intermediate at that time. The Thunderbird was available at that time, but it had been elevated to what was considered a luxury-car status ( many went for 10 grand or better, in 1973, you could get an Eldorado or Mark IV nicely equipped for 10 large then.) When the average new car was going for 5-6K then, who was going to spend the extra money for a Thunderbird at that time, especially (as mentioned before,) when OPEC was driving the gas price up to a then astronomical $.75 a gallon (think$3 a gallon,today.)(the '73 T-bird only got 9MPG, while the GP got a then, OK 16MPG ) So, Ford needed to come up with"another Bright Idea" to compete in the ferecely competitive mid-size segment, hence on May,21st 1974, Ford had introduced the Grand Torino Elite to keep up with the competition. The Elite remained on the market for the 1975-76 model years.
(Basically, the Elite was a Grand Torino coupe with a Grand-Prix inspired front clip and "opera windows" and marketed as an alternative to the Thunderbird.
"In The Thunderbird Tradition..." was what the ads had proclaimed, to be exact. Incidentally, the LTD II/ Mercury Cougar (&XR7)/Ford Thunderbird/Ranchero were the replacements of the Torino/Montego/XR-7/Elite family in 1977. They were basically "re-skinned" chassis of the former,(with exception of the T-bird which was "downsized" for '77 to the Torino/Montego chassis.)
Sorry to sound like a long-winded Collectible Automobile article. But that's what happened . :Beer Hope I didn't make your head spin further. I think my head's spinning now. :rolleyes:

Spinnin alright.. :) No actually, I did know most of that. But what I was saying was that the LTD II was an offshoot of the Elite and the late 70's Ranchero was an offshoot of the LTD II (thought that was already said before I said it) The Elite and Torino ran side by side in production, but they had different fascias. I didn't know the pricing or the fuel econ. I would've guessed about that for fuel on the T-Bird based on Moby only getting 8, but I would've guessed the Monte/GP to be lower than they are, I would've guessed them to be closer to the T-Bird

Yeah, the GM redesign in 73 was cosmetically significant (at least to the chevelle/el camino) Which did you like better look wise? I love em both (at least the chevelles) but I think I've got to go older is better on that one.

Guys we are arguing as to if it's a car or a truck right? So because it's on a car platform, it makes it a car? If it has truck features (I.E. a "bed") and there are "TRUCKS" on the market (at any given time) that it outperforms? Why not give it the classification of a truck? In NY you can get "Commercial Plates" for an Elky/Ranchero....

I like the elky's....not the 80's joints, but the older ones. Like the 59 version with the fins and all....that is kool looking. IMHO. :Beer

Guys we are arguing as to if it's a car or a truck right? So because it's on a car platform, it makes it a car? If it has truck features (I.E. a "bed") and there are "TRUCKS" on the market (at any given time) that it outperforms? Why not give it the classification of a truck?

Yes, it outperforms certain trucks, but those trucks are still built on a truck platform. The hood is a car, under the hood is a car, the cab is a car (a two seater, a deuce coup!) :) The only thing that's truck about it is the bed, and even then, the underpinnings are still car.

I've got it! The El/R are a tomato. They are used like a vegetable, but are technically a fruit. The El/R is used like a truck, but it is technically a car. :)

It doesn't matter to me whether it's a car or truck i think they are cool, i happen to like the El Camino the best. :cool:

Stopped over to visit Eric1 today, and there is a Pea Green Ranchero around the corner from his house and I laughed and laughed for the next 100 feet. :)

Members online

Back