Electrical problem?

bobslydel

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I get in my car tonight and start it up no problem. Start heading down the road, radio starts coming on and off and all the lights on the radio head unit blink as it turns on and off. Eventually they all go out and stay out. Next, 30 sec later check traction control light comes on as well as the ABS light. Then the entire dash goes out including all the lights on the shifter. The only lights left on was the display showing the trip and odometer, traction control icon, abs icon. Next, headlights start blinking on and off for about 20 seconds and go out completely.

Turn around, drive home (luckily never got out of the neighborhood) and turn the car off. By this time the airbag icon is lit on the dash as well. When I turn the car off the alarm starts going off weakly, little bit of honks. Try to turn the car back on, nothing but clicks. The car is officially dead in my driveway. I have a 2K V8, had the battery replaced no more than 15k miles ago. Drove the car earlier today about 20 miles, no problems. Any ideas?

Thanks

Sounds typical of a failing alternator. Charge the battery up and drive it to the dealership if you want to go that route.........or, order an alternator and put it in yourself and save some money.

It definitely sounds charging related. But before you go plop down big bucks for an alternator, spend some time checking out the charging system first. Maybe it's a dirty battery terminal or ground. Charge the battery, start the car, turn on all the lights, a/c, heated seats, etc. so you put a good load on the system. Check your voltage at about 1500 rpm. It should be between 13 and 14 volts. If you have the equipment to check current output, that's even better. You can have voltage, but minimal amps.

Ok, so I get in my car tonight and start it up no problem. Start heading down the road, radio starts coming on and off and all the lights on the radio head unit blink as it turns on and off. Eventually they all go out and stay out. Next, 30 sec later check traction control light comes on as well as the ABS light. Then the entire dash goes out including all the lights on the shifter. The only lights left on was the display showing the trip and odometer, traction control icon, abs icon. Next, headlights start blinking on and off for about 20 seconds and go out completely.

Turn around, drive home (luckily never got out of the neighborhood) and turn the car off. By this time the airbag icon is lit on the dash as well. When I turn the car off the alarm starts going off weakly, little bit of honks. Try to turn the car back on, nothing but clicks. The car is officially dead in my driveway. I have a 2K V8, had the battery replaced no more than 15k miles ago. Drove the car earlier today about 20 miles, no problems. Any ideas?

Thanks

so i was searching threads related to mine and saw this...

sounds similar to what mine did, how the radio and lights started to go off then it died...then the clicks, wow

check your fuses, my dash and headlights went out about a month ago, and one of headlights went out, the dealership replaced a fuse in the rear power disrtibution box and it was fixed.

Members online

No members online now.
Back