engine coolant filler cap

MarkVa1

LVC Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately I have buggered the fill cap for the engine coolant on my 2001 3.9 liter as I've started the process for replacing the Degas bottle. I thought the10mm hex nut wasthe right size and I did get it off - put it back on and then just hand tightened it as I was doing some otherthings. 20 minutes later and the same hex nut twisted inside and removed some of the plastic. Perhaps its 11mm - which I dont have.... but it is on there remarkably tight! Any suggestions on ways to get it off? I suppose a trip to the dealer to get a new one is in my future... surprised how soft the plastic is around the hex opening...

Thanks

Mark.

If you are going to replace it then use a pair of channel locks to get it off. If I recall you put it on hand tight and then tighten another 1/8 turn with an allen wrench. I believe 10mm is the correct size.

Rock Auto sells an aluminum version of the cooling tree for the Jags. If you have the time to replace the assembly, that's the way to go.
Otherwise, the dealer will have the cap. Expect to take a few tries to get what you need. They always pull the degas cap first.

I called the local dealer and he indicated they can't sell the cap as a stand alone part... sounds odd. And I can't get my CD to work on my computer to look up the part number. Anyone know the part number for the coolant filler cap - with the hex opening in the center? Or even the Jaguar part that's metal to replace it?

Thanks

I called the local dealer and he indicated they can't sell the cap as a stand alone part... sounds odd. And I can't get my CD to work on my computer to look up the part number. Anyone know the part number for the coolant filler cap - with the hex opening in the center? Or even the Jaguar part that's metal to replace it?

Thanks

They can. I've bought one. The counter dude just didn't want to look it up. ;)

Sorry, I don't have the part number handy. Try a different dealer.

Members online

Back