Exhaust Clips 2016

in the ultra high performance exhaust world, there are many brands that flow better than flowmaster, but with this engine, its not going to be any high point of restriction, but they are a chambered muffler and IMHO they tend to always one one of the best sounding mufflers if your looking for the more big engine muscle car sound, for people looking for the best flowing mufflers its always going to be a straight through muffler, however they tend to have a little more drone...

no I do not have any sound clips, and since one muffler has rusted off, I cant make one at this point... good news is that if you've heard one car with flowmaster, then you've pretty much heard every other car with flowmasters! lol

Just got done watching all the videos I could find. Hard to tell which setups they have on YouTube because no one seems to be descriptive. I like a few of the flow master videos, others I could hardly see a difference. Magnaflow was ok, didn't really impress me to what I want. I watch a video with a white Ls that had bassani exhaust which sounded amazing. I love the sound when it starts up and idles. Mags didn't seem to make much of a difference in some videos at idle/ startup. Wasn't much of a description at all other than saying bassani exhaust. Have you had any experience with bassani mufflers? I'll check some out and see. I don't want drone so I'll look for something not straight through. Ima rookie on exhaust systems if you haven't noticed. :rolleyes:

I measured my resonator-to-muffler pipe on my Gen 1 V8 at 2". Looks like 2.25 from the cats to the resonators, but I haven't measured

Alright did some more looking around. Since GEN II is 2.25"^^, would ordering a 2.5" muffler be ok? You can make it up with weld or would it leak? I'm looking at these in the link, they have been mentioned on here and guy say they have a nice sound. It's a little more than i want to spend right now so I'm going to wait a little but if these are the best choice for a good rumble then I can wait. :)

http://marylandspeed.com/bassani-bx-performance-4x8x16-oval-universal-muffler-aluminized-p-4160.html

2.5 is what I just ordered, for it to fit, the installer will either need to flare out the pipe a little or weld in a reducing adapter.

BTW, if you plan on keeping this car for some good time, don't bother with the aluminium mufflers, mine rusted completely and broke off at the inlet, living in the mitten, I would op for stainless. (had I, I wouldn't be redoing my entire system) not too mention, my car did not see road time most of the winters, maybe the first entire one or two but then was parked except for those few clear sunny winter days.

2.25 pipe slides right into 2.5 pipe, no need to spread or reduce anything just gets tacked in place and welded up with a bead.

IMO the latest graze of one MagnaFlow true x design passthrough in the tunnel with 2.5 piping out the back and some nice tips is the way to go.

When you get on it, it sounds the way it was mean to be.

If someone would pull up my post from the what you do today thread for pics. (I'm on the road with the tinny tablet buttons)

If someone would pull up my post from the what you do today thread for pics. (I'm on the road with the tinny tablet buttons)

lol, I was just looking at those earlier today

hang on a min...

page 193

http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/fo...-today&p=2037398938&viewfull=1#post2037398938

1 single Magnaflow # 11386 - 4" x 9" x 14" Dual In/Out Satin Stainless 2.5" True X core design,
positioned in the tunnel, third CAT and resonators deleted, 2.5" piping w/ chrome Magnaflow tips.

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

Thanks Bud ... when my dual Bassani's are done on my 01 I'm going to duplicate the 04 setup as pictured above to the 01

have to? no...

its all up to how you want it to sound, also some mufflers are quieter than others...

honestly, your best bet would be to change the mufflers, then drive it for a month or two and see how you like the sound, then if you want it louder with a little more rasp, then get rid of the resonators.

Yeah and give your chosen set up a month or two to settle in, mufflers need a chance to settle in, sound will slightly change somewhat. Adding a cold air intake changes it even more.

Bigrig - quick question - why did you decide to place your muffler where you did? Clearance? Sound? Science? etc. Just curious. And I forgot to take measurements when I was under mine.

Liking my setup now but will ultimately still go with a setup like yours, maybe even add a pair of small resonators after the muffler for reduced drone.

Bigrig - quick question - why did you decide to place your muffler where you did? Clearance? Sound? Science? etc. Just curious. And I forgot to take measurements when I was under mine.

Liking my setup now but will ultimately still go with a setup like yours, maybe even add a pair of small resonators after the muffler for reduced drone.

It's simply the most widest part in the tunnel and the heat shielding is optimum in that spot. Other then that, it's because it replaced the resonators and third cat, also looks coolest in that spot and gives a good overall deep throaty sound like you'd expect from a mid cross muffler.

that is where it fits best (all together its not really that much larger than both of the OEM resonators).

my biggest two rerasons for putting the muffler there (soon) is that A: by putting it there instead of in the back OEM muffler location, I was able to buy one $100+ muffler instead of having to buy two $100+ mufflers. and B: from many other cars that Ive heard, I think there is a little better sound when the muffler is in the middle of the car VS at the back... so its a win win!

How do you think this set-up (big rigs) would compare performance wise to the cat back set-up? I want all the power i can get and don't want it crazy loud. I already have a CAI and will tune it later after the exhaust. Thanks

I would imagine that all of them flow just as well as the OEM system, the OEM system flows exceptionally well. you're not really going to see any real power difference no matter what you use for an exhaust (unless you choose something that is unusually restrictive and it drops the power down). this will be louder than the cat back system.

Well ok, I have a Gen1 v8 and hear that the exhaust is better on a Gen2 v8. There arn't any around here to compare to except stock. I was thinking about a Magnaflow set up with thier resonators and mufflers and up grade my piping from 2'' to 2.25". Untill I saw this and went HHMMMMMM.

You already have 2.25" piping stock.

Trust me just gut it and put one in the tunnel. Easier, cheaper ... LOUDER !!! :shifty:

PM'ing you some links to raw video sampling of my exhaust tone of my 04 LSE

Gen 1 is 2" between the resonators and mufflers

I only have a pic left of my 1st gen stock exhaust but I didn't think so, pretty sure it's 2.25 throughout ... I'll have to double check sometime at a pull it yard to confirm I suppose.

Members online

No members online now.
Back