Exhaust / Engine idea's from work.

TKEx510xTKE

New LVC Member
Reaction score
While at work today I ran the idea thorugh my head of a sidemount exhaust on an LS. Now im new to this side and not the smartest guy when it comes to cars so im not totally sure if this is at all possible. If anyone knows and could help me it would be much appreciated.

Also, does anyone have the slightest idea on what it would take to swap out my 3.0 for a 3.9?

thanks for the help guys

*slaps TKE on forehead*

Could've had a V8!

just kidding man. :D

No reason why it wouldn't work but I can name one on why it wouldn't look good.

IMO you would need a nice aftermarket side skirt that adds some drop to the car ( in which you would then need the rest of the kit ) and then need to cut out a good hole for the exhaust tip.

Older cars look good cause of the body styles but most newer cars with pipes out the side are set up the same way I explained.

Thats one of the things that crossed my mind. However, From the pictures I have the Wings West kit for the 2000 ls looks like it has the type of skirt that I would need.

Now realize this is not exactly what im going for but it shows the idea of what I see the cut outs looking like and im still deciding if I want to do a stack with both on one side or do a slightly larger tip and have one to a side.

*edit* Werner, what type of wheels do you have on your LS, its hard to tell from the picture but they look good.

Thnaks, they are ADR M-Sports.

ADR-MSPORT-HS.jpg

If you do a search for some of my posts you can find a better pic. Not to be rude I just dont feel like digging them up right now:) .

i dont know how good it would look coming out infront of the rear tires, but maybe something coming out behind them. maybe

You could always ask Kleen LS to photoshop some side pipes on in his photoshop thread...:lol:

I'm talking like muscle car side pipes...lol! Not just cut outs with them dumping out the side. That would be funny!

The heat from the exhaust would melt any plastic side skirts. Like this:

G5WCNK93.jpg

OK well then what about those of us that have cut outs on our bumpers. Those don't melt. My black valance melted but now that I cut it out more added tips and placed them close to the bumper ( right on it ) I don't see anything melting.

Last edited:
There's gotta be some kind of wrap or something that protects the plastic etc. from the heat. Wouldn't this LS460 be having the same problem?

lexus_ls460_fabulous_back.jpg

I think its a koo idea....but....JUSS ONE BIG THING!!!ITS A 4 DOOR!!! People in back seat better watch their legs when they get out!!! hahaha I did a lil custom kit, and threw a lil sumthin sumthin on there, hehe. It was a quicky, so eh...hope ya like....here ya go:
WOW_LS_web.jpg

ok....
PEACE!!!JJ

There's gotta be some kind of wrap or something that protects the plastic etc. from the heat. Wouldn't this LS460 be having the same problem?

I have seen a ton of tips if not against the bumper pretty damn close to it at least. I dont see melting and mine are closer to the bumper then they were when the heat from the exuast fumes was melting my valance.

i dont have my bumper cut out but like I said my tips are right up against and the bumer dont melt. Also any valance that touches the tips is not melting either. Im sure you would have problems if it was just the tail pipe or somthing but some tips keep heat down I think.

was skeptical but with that kit i like how it looks... you don't have to necessarily run the length of the pipe through the body kit, just bend the tubes out at that point... so i wouldn't worry about heat being an issue as for back seat problems... well viper owners survive

If you don't, to my experience like I was trying to explain, you would end up melting it from the fumes. From what I have gathered and experienced with the first gens and the Magnaflow exhaust since the tail pipe does not go all the way out the rear it melts the valance from the fumes but with a good tip put on it wont hurt if its flush or just pokes out about a centimeter or so.

Like I said my tips don't melt anything and they rest on it but my tips are freebie cheap tips from a friend. They are thick and have the preferrated resonator inside and I am sure that is what helps keep the bumper from melting. Something like that is all you need and the side skirt would be fine.

I think its a koo idea....but....JUSS ONE BIG THING!!!ITS A 4 DOOR!!! People in back seat better watch their legs when they get out!!! hahaha I did a lil custom kit, and threw a lil sumthin sumthin on there, hehe. It was a quicky, so eh...hope ya like....here ya go:
WOW_LS_web.jpg

ok....
PEACE!!!JJ

Okay, wasn't too sure on the idea at first but... that thing is HOT!

WOW_LS_web.jpg

ok....
PEACE!!!JJ

Yeah... wow... man.... just wow....

what wheels are those?

WOW_LS_web.jpg

ok....
PEACE!!!JJ

thats super phat! but besides the back seat passengers....wouldnt the exhaust make the back wheels all nasty...if they were black wheels it wouldnt be as bad but some polished wheels might discolor. the f-150's had a recall in 94 or 95 because of this. it was messin up the paint on the rim cuz the ehaust was blowin right on the back wheel. maybe u could photoshop a kit that has the tips come out behind the back wheel....that could be interesting

thats super phat! but besides the back seat passengers....wouldnt the exhaust make the back wheels all nasty...if they were black wheels it wouldnt be as bad but some polished wheels might discolor. the f-150's had a recall in 94 or 95 because of this. it was messin up the paint on the rim cuz the ehaust was blowin right on the back wheel. maybe u could photoshop a kit that has the tips come out behind the back wheel....that could be interesting

it was the 97-98 f-150's, it would turn the centercaps green and rust the hell out of the lug nuts

Cars have been running exhaust like that for years. Would it not have been more of a problem with the lugs and center caps?

That reminds me of some kind of Super Touring Cup Car.

A nice set of CHROME 20's shouldn't be bothered by it.

Like I said, many cars in the past and I have seen some newer ones have exhaust like that. I don't know if I would ever do it but even BMW's in the Touring Cup and such as well as Volvo's I think have a exhaust rig like that.

When I said it looks like something out of the Touring Cup I really meant that it looks exactly like something from the BTCC. That wing could do but slap on a real Touring style wing (unlike that cheap aluminum one the SEMA Can-Am LS had) along with a championship sponsor style paint job and it would be perfect.

Members online

No members online now.
Back