exhaust setups.

95MkViii

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
ok, my exhaust is falling apart on my 95 :mad:. i have removed the 2 large resonators on the motor, under the air box. and the one closest to the TB on the inlet tube.

what exhaust sounds good on the car. i have searched a lot, and people say that cherry bombs (glass packs) sound horrible. im looking for a loud exhaust. and it has to pass emissions. so im going to have to have both cats. going to delete the 3rd cat, and going to need mufflers.

is there a place that makes a true duels kit for the first gen mk? :confused:

Thanks,

mandrelbentexhausts.com

see DLF's sig to his Mark... He's got a very nice exhaust under his... and vids.

Sup nooob, couldntfindthesearchbutton

How loud do you want your exhaust to be? In my opinion it depends on who you are trying to impress. High school girls I'm assuming? Just chop off the exhaust after the 3rd cat, that should do the trick. Careful your fingers don't get in the way

Cats will quiet the exhaust the most. Running high flows will help there a bit. I have Magnaflow Race series mufflers (which are straight thru mufflers) with built in tips on mine and everyone thats ever been behind me says they love the sound of it. With my stock cats still on though it's not overly loud (nice rumble that just the next door neighbours hate on one side if I leave it idling, lol) then open it up and all the neighbors are pissed off (ask me how I know ;) )

For the true duels
http://www.mandrelexhaustsystems.com/servlet/the-117/93-dsh-98-MARK-VIII-EXHAUST/Detail

Note that they don't fit perfectly, but a competent exhaust shop should still be able to make it fit for you.

As for the rest I'd recommend cutting out the crappy 3rd cat and putting an X-pipe in it's place. For mufflers you can go with whatever you like. Flowmasters give a nice sound imo, but they're not as good for performance as true straight-through mufflers like cherry bombs or magnaflow.

Sup nooob, couldntfindthesearchbutton

How loud do you want your exhaust to be? In my opinion it depends on who you are trying to impress. High school girls I'm assuming? Just chop off the exhaust after the 3rd cat, that should do the trick. Careful your fingers don't get in the way

well accualy i have bin readying peoples threads on this for about a month now. all that i have found is a couple people saying "cherry bombs suck, remember its a small block" or something like that. also i wanted peoples opines on there set ups.

actually i graduate this year... so theres no point. im more looking for drag strip, but still legal.

thanks for taking the time out of your day to post. :D have a nice day.

Mandrel exhaust kit, 3rd cat deleted, xpipe installed, and whatever mufflers of choice

Magnaflow, flowmaster, borla are all good brands

As was mentioned the mandrel kit is good but requires a bit of fabrication to fit correctly

Call me up our cat back kit is on sale right now too. If you want LOUD then get our Assassin Mufflers.

what is your number, ill give you a call after i get out of school. around 2:30 EST.

are they true duels?

thanks,

There really must be hundreds of threads like this one.
They include pictures, before/after video, diagrams, ect.

Easiest thing to do, go to a few muffler shops, get prices.
Replace everything behind the first two cats with 2.5" pipe. Mandrel bent is nice, but you're going to pay a lot more. It's snug, but if the muffler shop says they can't make it fit, they are lazy or incompetent.

Replace that 3rd cat with a 2 in/2 out muffler with an internal x-pipe from Dynomax of Magnaflow.

Then go 2.5" pipe out the back and put some tips on it.

OR add two high flow mufflers on the end and it will then pass any visual inspection you might face.

Replace everything behind the first two cats with 2.5" pipe. Mandrel bent is nice, but you're going to pay a lot more. It's snug, but if the muffler shop says they can't make it fit, they are lazy or incompetent.

Replace that 3rd cat with a 2 in/2 out muffler with an internal x-pipe from Dynomax of Magnaflow.

OR add two high flow mufflers on the end and it will then pass any visual inspection you might face.

im looking at the kit from geno. also im going to replace the cats on the car. the 3rd cat is going to be replaced with a X pipe. well see what happens.

Here's mine:)

The '96 has stock base model exhaust with straight pipes with stock tips in place of the original mufflers. But it still has all 3 cats and the resonator.

The '97 LSC has an H-Pipe in place of the 3rd cat and cherry bomb mufflers with stock tips.

The LSC is louder with mufflers than the '96 is without them! Personally, I like the sound of the cherry bombs. It kinda gives it that 60' muscle car burble that I love so much. But that's just a matter of taste.

YouTube - Lincoln Mark VIII LSC On The Road Short Version

YouTube - Lincoln Mark VIII Exhaust

YouTube - 1997 Mark VIII LSC Cherry Bomb Dual Exhaust

*not to steal this thread or anything* but.....I got a lil carried away with watching the other vids with this one and say mlshchultz mark run. What happened to it??

for installation try the Midas in Sterling park see if Dave Mason is there he's the best in that area he did all my cars since72. he may be retired but if he's around get him to do it.nobody better. you will like Genos set up

KOOKS HEADERS!!!!
this is my 97 with kooks headers, magnaflow high flow cats, bassani x pipe, 2.5 inch pipe and magnaflow oval mufflers.
jamies97two.jpg

jamies97three.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/user/LincolnAutoParts#p/u/8/Q0d3vE59mWc

I was pretty happy with the setup I described,
The first two cats remain stock, 2.5" from their back, 2in/2out Dynoflow with an internal X, then 2.5" staight out the back.

While I did enjoy the sound, it did get a little tiresome when driving from Florida to the North East and it did make conversation a bit of a challenge.

I think I would have added two of the high flow, inexpensive flowmaster mufflers if I were to do it again.

KOOKS HEADERS!!!!
this is my 97 with kooks headers, magnaflow high flow cats, bassani x pipe, 2.5 inch pipe and magnaflow oval mufflers.
jamies97two.jpg

jamies97three.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/user/LincolnAutoParts#p/u/8/Q0d3vE59mWc

I got kooks for my 98 and I've loved it ever since. Real power gains that you can feel and the sound is to die for. When you get on the pedal it's got a super mean true performance sound while still being decently quit at idle and when cruising around. Not sure if I could be happy with a different mark VIII without headers now. They definitely don't come cheap though. $1500+ for parts alone(headers/gaskets/O2's/cats/catback/mufflers) and then more if you have a shop install the headers and weld the exhaust together.

+10000, I could not have said it better. When I had my 94 a dualin/out muffler in the center with built in x-pipe and no rear mufflers was best for me. And for cost I think this is the best option.

I didnt see on here if you are going to install it your self or if you were going to take it some were to be installed. But if you like loud mine is a custom exaust done buy my brother at his garage in Fayetteville N.C. . It is Kooks headers into a magnaflow X-pipe resonator with two 2 1/2" inlets and two 2 1/2" oulets and two 2 1/2" outlet pipes and duals all the way back. Here is a video of it. If your interested contact me and I'll give you his number. YouTube - ‪Don's Supercharged Mark VIII Vs Callenger SRT-8‬‏ I also have a custom Magnaflow 2 1/4" exhaust barely used that Barry will insall for 350.00 total. http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=70803

Man, really? That sucks, cause that would require someone to do a search. And that is called reading and typing, that seems to put a dampener on this.

It is really hard to get people to search these days, a real bitch. Sometimes it is just best to ignore some posts.

It is like preaching to the freakin drug addicts, never gets you anywhere.

Do you realize how much bandwidth and space used by always asking the same ass questions and posting the same ass pics to the same ass questions. A F**king lot.

Man, really? That sucks, cause that would require someone to do a search. And that is called reading and typing, that seems to put a dampener on this.

It is really hard to get people to search these days, a real bitch. Sometimes it is just best to ignore some posts.

It is like preaching to the freakin drug addicts, never gets you anywhere.

Do you realize how much bandwidth and space used by always asking the same ass questions and posting the same ass pics to the same ass questions. A F**king lot.

hey bill, thanks for taking time to comment. but next time, you should try a PM. you know you click on the name of the user you want to message, and click "send private message" :rolleyes:

i know i hear you, but the only thing about search, is that you get all the other post with the word exhaust in it. so you might find 1 post every page. (im not complaining.)

i guess the answer is, is that im a teen. and im impatient. i dont have too much free time to spend surfing LVC. i wake up a 5:00am every morning to go to school. i get home a 3pm work till 8:30 sometimes i work till 9:30 i have my laptop with me. and all my free time at school i spend in autoshop, working on my cars. my front sway bar is falling off. and i need to rebuild my front suspension. and my exhaust has holes in it. and the second car i got is a total restoration. so im sorry if i post threads to save an hour of my time. im just trying to get edimicated (spelled wrong for a reason) and get on with my busy life. ill be leaving for collage soon, and i wont have time to work on my car. or a place for that fact.

my apologies, if you need to complain that much, then send me a PM.

Good day. :yuck:

It is poking at you, but at everyone else too, so a PM is not just. Like I told others on here, if you want great search results, use Google, Google will give you the links in here for your questions. Google works so much better than our search engine.

Not being a dick with ya, but it is just like damn. But do give Google a try and let Google give you the LVC link to go to. It works for me everytime. :D

Honestly what does it hurt for him to ask stuff like this. If you don't care for the thread then just avoid it or don't post in it. Lots of people don't mind posting info and sharing to help a guy out. If everybody used the search for everything this forum would be pretty dead. A lot of times new and interesting ideas/discussions come about from initially unnecessary threads.

Here's an example of a truly bad thread from someone who just wants to be lazy.
"Hey all I wanna make my mark VIII louder and I've been thinking about chopping off the mufflers. Will that sound good?"

I'm so glad there is no emissions here and I can park it underground. :D

Interesting fact for ya, my mufflers were $84/piece:D and sound fantastic with the Kooks headers. And they look good too. Kooks headers are worth the investment and make the exhaust sound way better than it ever would with any setup on log manifolds and you can expect to see an easy 20 rwhp with the exhaust alone with headers, x-pipe, mufflers. I run no cats in my setup, but we have no emissions here. The downside, is my car is pretty hard to shut the hell up even on light throttle, but I have grown to like it.:p

Mufflers.jpg
Lincoln Tailfeather.jpg

YouTube - ‪Exhaust Grunt‬‏
YouTube - ‪fun night before storage 019.mpg‬‏

Mufflers.jpg

Lincoln Tailfeather.jpg

Members online

Back