Factory stereo Replacement?? how to know if it fits??

PrOjEcT_LS2000

LVC Member
Reaction score
I need a quick answer about, if there is anyway to find out if a factory oem Lincoln LS 6 CD AM/FM stereo will fit my 2000 Lincoln LS. I can't find out with my original one because it was stolen (why someone would steal a factory stereo, who knows) I found one i want to purchase which was described earlier, i don't know if i should just take the risk to purchase and see if it works, or what should i do. I know the LS's have options of a cassette and a Alpine 6 CD stereo depending on the model of the LS you have. I have the model # of the stereo i want to purchase, called the dealership, couldn't tell me much. What to do?

If it's from the same generation car, it should fit. One exception is the 03. Some of those will not exchange with other gen II cars, including some other 03s.

If it's from the same generation car, it should fit. One exception is the 03. Some of those will not exchange with other gen II cars, including some other 03s.

yes the early 03's used the 98-02 ford harness, while the later 03's use the 03 and up ford harness.

this should be very easy for you since you have a 2000 LS, if the radio is black, it should fit no problem, if it is silver, it will fit but the harness wont plug in (unless it just happens to be out of an early 03)

I need a quick answer about, if there is anyway to find out if a factory oem Lincoln LS 6 CD AM/FM stereo will fit my 2000 Lincoln LS. I can't find out with my original one because it was stolen (why someone would steal a factory stereo, who knows) I found one i want to purchase which was described earlier, i don't know if i should just take the risk to purchase and see if it works, or what should i do. I know the LS's have options of a cassette and a Alpine 6 CD stereo depending on the model of the LS you have. I have the model # of the stereo i want to purchase, called the dealership, couldn't tell me much. What to do?

Look on ebay. Factory stereos are there all the time. Just be aware that you must replace like for like. An Alpine unit won't work with a base system and vice-versa. Years ago I replaced my cassette unit for the six disc in-dash unit. It was plug and play.

Just be aware that you must replace like for like. An Alpine unit won't work with a base system and vice-versa.

i have seen this mentioned a lot, and seeing how i havent tried this, i can not confirm or deny it...

but why would it make a difference, they both use the same harness, with the same pinout, and for all four door speakers, the wire goes directly from the radio to the speaker, also both factory options are a standard 4 ohm speaker.

now what i can understand not working, would be a base radio, not having the outputs for the factory subs or the center console speakers, but i would imagine that everything else would be the same.

i have seen this mentioned a lot, and seeing how i havent tried this, i can not confirm or deny it...

but why would it make a difference, they both use the same harness, with the same pinout, and for all four door speakers, the wire goes directly from the radio to the speaker, also both factory options are a standard 4 ohm speaker.

now what i can understand not working, would be a base radio, not having the outputs for the factory subs or the center console speakers, but i would imagine that everything else would be the same.

The harness' are different. The Alpine uses external amps and the base system, internal. Look at the back of each radio......

http://cas07.businessflow.ms/Curren...age_guid=9e483dba-043f-4709-949e-8c46902d1462

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/00-0...704206?pt=Car_Audio_Video&hash=item1c1f35ce4e

The harness' are different. The Alpine uses external amps and the base system, internal. Look at the back of each radio......

http://cas07.businessflow.ms/Curren...age_guid=9e483dba-043f-4709-949e-8c46902d1462

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/00-0...704206?pt=Car_Audio_Video&hash=item1c1f35ce4e

On gen II, all headunits except for the THX (navigation) have internal amps for the door speakers. The woofers and console speakers always have external amps, if they are present. I didn't know that gen I was different about this.

the harnesses are not different, the premium radio, just has one extra connector, the connector for the factory subs and the center console speakers,

both radios have an internal amp that drives the door speakers, the only external amps (other than the THX systems) is the one under the rear deck lid for the subs, and the amp under the dash next to the steering column for the center effects speakers.

the far right connector is the main radio harness, this supplies the radio power and the speaker outs

the middle connector (or left connector for base radio's) has the steering wheel controls wires along with any external source wiring (cd changer for example)
and the far left connector (which is not on the base radio, and was exactly what i was unsure of, and was what i was asking about) is the signal wires and turn on for the two amps.

so if you have the factory subs, then you would need an alpine radio for them to still work, but a base radio still should drive all of the door speakers just fine. and an alpine radio should work fine for both systems, and if put into a base car, just wouldnt have anything plugged into the sub connector.

I didn't know that gen I was different about this.
Its not, both my 00 with alpine, and my cousins 01 with alpine, had internally amplified radios, the only amps where for the subs and centers, just like the 2nd gens.

Its not, both my 00 with alpine, and my cousins 01 with alpine, had internally amplified radios, the only amps where for the subs and centers, just like the 2nd gens.

Okay, thought I was losing it...

So i should be fine purchasing a Alpine 6 disc stereo even though i have no clue what my LS had before??

So i should be fine purchasing a Alpine 6 disc stereo even though i have no clue what my LS had before??

does your car have two speakers on the sides of the center console?

does your car have to two 6x9 subs mounted in the rear deck with an amp in between them?

is there two or three harness and an antenna for the radio?

Yeah, you'll be fine.

Note that it is VERY common for the CD changer to fail, yet sellers continue to list them as working. Make sure the seller has a good return policy and looks like they honor it. I had to send one back, gave up trying after that.

my LS does have the two speakers on the center console, but my rear deck speakers are 6x8s and it does have the amp( if your referring to the one you see from the trunk underneath the rear deck), at least that what couple websites say that fit my LS cause im going to get these 3-way Rockford Fosgate speakers. about harnesses not to sure, would have to pull the stereo out in there now, its a pioneer one.

my LS does have the two speakers on the center console, but my rear deck speakers are 6x8s and it does have the amp( if your referring to the one you see from the trunk underneath the rear deck), at least that what couple websites say that fit my LS cause im going to get these 3-way Rockford Fosgate speakers. about harnesses not to sure, would have to pull the stereo out in there now, its a pioneer one.

Those speakers in the rear deck are subs. You won't be able to use the factory sub amp and will have to do some rewiring if you change them out for full range speakers.

Members online

No members online now.
Back