failsafe mode is COOL!!!! GARRR@#$!@#

There's a cylinder head temp sensor, that if it's defective, would give a false overheat. You hve to pull the intake manifold to access it I believe.

mine did the same thing i was on the highway doing 85 next thing i know the temp gauge went to its max check engine light came on and "reduced power" popped up i was like wth it let me go a mile or two down the road before shutting off. i popped my hood coolant leaking from the bottom and steam from the top come to find out it was a busted freaking radiator hose (top) gotta have a lot of patience to put on

whinning noise

I have the same whining noise,sounds like waterpump bearing also,no overheating problems yet,just getting very noisy,2000 non-sport ls

Need help - again

Have similar problem: 2001 V8, 120K miles. 30 minute commute to work via interstate - everything is fine. 15-20 minutes of driving in stop and go traffic - temperature gauge begins to rise - once all the way to the "H". Pulled over on side of road for few minutes. Turn heat to 85 degrees and eventually head back to office parking lot. Get in car for afternoon commute home - no problems. No visible leaking coolant; mechanic replaced thermostat, says hydraulic fan "ok", sees no crack in coolant reservoir, has bled the system and ckd cap for pressure issues. All OK. So - what gives? Trying to avoid taking car to dealership if at all possible - but will do so if necessary. heard there is a coolant sensor that could be bad - can anyone tell me (show me) where this part is located and how to replace it? Also, where can I get a repair manual for the 2001 LS V8? Thanks for the help.

4/30/09 - update: took car to dealership. reason for overheating in city traffic: hydraulic cooling fan and hydraulic pump failing, also recommended replacing t-stat. T-stat replaced 3/13/09, dealership says it may be bad since car has continued to overheat since initial replcmt. Total: $2,250! ($1400 parts, $850 labor) Questions to you guys: has anyone heard of both the hydraulic fan AND the pump failing? Is the $$quote reasonable or ridiculous? Appreciate any advice.

Members online

Back