Faulty engine Temp. Help!

DublinGALSV8

LVC Member
Reaction score
:confused: Every morning when I go to work, my 2001 Lincoln LS steadily climbs towards "HOT" reaches the top where the temp light comes on. Less than a minute later it jumps directly (Very fast) to "NORMAL" like nothing ever happened. After this happens, it's fine the entire rest of the day. Does anyone know why it would do this?

maybe the thermostat is beginning to stick. have it checked out

Mine only did it twice before I brought it in. Dealership told me it was a faulty signal from the electric thermostst and that it needed replacement.

Maybe one of your Cylinder Head Temp sensors is faulty. One of mine was. Symptoms were similar. Cheap part, labor not so cheap, since they have to pull the intake manifold. IIRC, about 350 to fix.

electric tstat? never heard of it. But the tstat in the Gen 1 V8 LS was maybe 30 bucks with the gaskets. I can't remember, but it wasn't much.

"Maybe one of your Cylinder Head Temp sensors is faulty. One of mine was. Symptoms were similar. Cheap part, labor not so cheap, since they have to pull the intake manifold. IIRC, about 350 to fix."

What was the actual part cost? Do you know?

Just made a quick call to the stealership parts department. Their price is $19.68.

But I think their shop said 4 hours labor. Mine was covered under warranty, so I only paid a deductible.

no, for the CHT sensor. At least I think it was for the sensor. It's been almost a year ago, so I can't be positive. I remember they wanted to say it took some insane amount of time for the tstat too. The shop book they were using said to remove the damn intake for that too. Which when I changed it out, I did remove the intake TUBE, but that was it. Total time was under an hour to replace tstat, including bleeding the system. In my case, the tstat was not the issue, but there's a new one in there now.

Cylinder head sensor was 19.68 for a gen 1 (2000-2002) V8

Mine was doing the same thing a couple weeks ago, thing will slowly climb into the red, light comes on, keep driving for a bit ( maybe bring the RPM's up a bit ) and it would go back down like it never happened. I changed the thermostat hoping it wasn't opening correctly, topped off the fluid, bled the system, hasn't been a problem since. Total cost (me doing the work), $25 including antifreeze. Try here first, worst case, you have a new thermostat to not worry about. As for 4 hours labor, if they were going to charge you that they were going to pork you and not use a bit of lube. I did mine in under an hour.

I would never pay that much, when I called to order the part, they just told me what labor would be as well. Now I always ask, because it's nice to know how much I'm saving :D

Members online

No members online now.
Back