Fiberglass Sub Box Complete!!

blwnbyu

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
2.5 days, $250 in supplies later, she is done and I'm VERY happy!

If you guys want, I can make a how-to if anyone is interested. The sub is a JL10W6. A 12 will not fit in this configuration.. Let me know what you guys think :D

IMG_5354_zpse4dcbff9.jpg

IMG_5355_zps339a6349.jpg

IMG_5350_zpseadf32d0.jpg

IMG_5351_zps0c1cd2d9.jpg

IMG_5349_zpsbd82fcec.jpg

IMG_5341_zps585d1ab8.jpg

IMG_5337_zps2a5fa8b6.jpg

That is awesome! Been wanting to do something similar to my LS, im all for a write up. Hows that W6 perform in the car?

Looks good man! Great job! Also if you havent already I would add some poly-fill, it does a great job at widening your bandwidth with sealed enclosures.

Looks good man! Great job! Also if you havent already I would add some poly-fill, it does a great job at widening your bandwidth with sealed enclosures.

Big fan of Poly.. She's already packed :)

Cool man! Fiberglassing is one of those love/hate relationships. I do good until it comes to the finishing work. I just don't have the patience for it :(

Nice job, but $250?

You must have really wanted that trunk space. You can make a nice birch box deep in the trunk - and it looks like you have the DIY skills.

Nice job, but $250?

You must have really wanted that trunk space. You can make a nice birch box deep in the trunk - and it looks like you have the DIY skills.

Yes, I refuse to have anything obstructing trunk space. This is my travel car. I already had a 12" type R in a nice wedge.

So I basically spent $600 to keep my trunk free and clear, but it was worth it. Have you looked up prices on the deck I bought!!! :eek:

I don't want anything obstructing the front of the trunk where the seats fold down, need I haul something long. The amp is hidden in the tire well, and this box takes up very little useable room.

There is no wood box I could make that could come close to looking as good/fitting as well as fiberglass, and $250 is cheap.. A shop would have charged at least a grand for the box and sub installed.

The work looks great man. Does the box have to be moved to access the spare tire? It appears, at least to me, that it would have to be.

The work looks great man. Does the box have to be moved to access the spare tire? It appears, at least to me, that it would have to be.

I took a picture in preparation for your question :D

Spare tire cover slides right out from under it

IMG_5353_zpse454d6b3.jpg

That is awesome! Been wanting to do something similar to my LS, im all for a write up. Hows that W6 perform in the car?

I'm extremely impressed with the 10W6.. It's tight and deep, and is just as loud as the Alpine 12" Type R I threw in there for the week that was in a sealed wedge box. I made the box as large as possible because a 10 is pretty undersized, but I'm happy with how it hits.. Now I just need to get my components in, and find a digital 4 channel amp to throw in the glovebox where the CD changer was..

Cool man! Fiberglassing is one of those love/hate relationships. I do good until it comes to the finishing work. I just don't have the patience for it :(

There's very little love and alot of hate... till you see the end product.. It's a lot of work, alot of mess, expensive and time consuming, but there is no other box that I would have been happy with

I took a picture in preparation for your question :D

Spare tire cover slides right out from under it

IMG_5353_zpse454d6b3.jpg

Okay mind reader, what is my next question. I have one. Have a pic ready for it too? :)

Okay mind reader, what is my next question. I have one. Have a pic ready for it too? :)

lol.. I'm no mind reader.. I just knew the topic would come up, and it was something I thought about :) Since the battery is there as well, there is no way I'd block access to the spare tire well.

The amp is also on a hinge that flips up, allowing the tire to be removed without removing the amp

Yes, I refuse to have anything obstructing trunk space. This is my travel car. I already had a 12" type R in a nice wedge.

So I basically spent $600 to keep my trunk free and clear, but it was worth it. Have you looked up prices on the deck I bought!!! :eek:

I don't want anything obstructing the front of the trunk where the seats fold down, need I haul something long. The amp is hidden in the tire well, and this box takes up very little useable room.

There is no wood box I could make that could come close to looking as good/fitting as well as fiberglass, and $250 is cheap.. A shop would have charged at least a grand for the box and sub installed.

Yeah lots of us use this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2000-2006-L...er_Sub_Enclosures&hash=item58902a1dd7&vxp=mtr

You lose the folding seats, but the LS trunk is small anyways.

....and find a digital 4 channel amp to throw in the glovebox where the CD changer was..

have you looked at the massive audio nano amp line up. IIRC the nx4 is 100 watts rms per channel. i have an n4 2000 watts rms to power 2 10" jvc arsenal cs-aw8040

just to give you an idea, the nx4 is smaller, I've never seen the cd changer of an ls but the nx4 is smaller than this amp
2012-10-06_20-34-00_933.gif

Yeah lots of us use this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2000-2006-L...er_Sub_Enclosures&hash=item58902a1dd7&vxp=mtr

You lose the folding seats, but the LS trunk is small anyways.

Yeah thqt absolutely would not work for me, but does look good.

....and find a digital 4 channel amp to throw in the glovebox where the CD changer was..

have you looked at the massive audio nano amp line up. IIRC the nx4 is 100 watts rms per channel. i have an n4 2000 watts rms to power 2 10" jvc arsenal cs-aw8040

just to give you an idea, the nx4 is smaller, I've never seen the cd changer of an ls but the nx4 is smaller than this amp
2012-10-06_20-34-00_933.gif

Funny you mention that. I used to sell massive audio back in the day. They made a solid amp. I Havent looked into 4 channels yet but will be soon.

Wow great work. I like that! How does it sound?

It sounds great! Far louder and deeper than I expected for a 10

I have a jvc 7004 amp located where you have your sub box. it's pushing 4 6x8's, 2 6x9's, 2 5.25's. its rated at 100x4 at 4 ohms and 140 at 2ohms that i want to replace with two nx4's. hopefully both will fit in the same location

I have a jvc 7004 amp located where you have your sub box. it's pushing 4 6x8's, 2 6x9's, 2 5.25's. its rated at 100x4 at 4 ohms and 140 at 2ohms that i want to replace with two nx4's. hopefully both will fit in the same location

I really do like the new digital amps these days.

The 4 channel in my Cobra is 520x4 RMS :eek: I had to build a false wall in the trunk to conceal it and the 2500W RMS Class D. If you can't tell, I don't like looking at audio equipment.

Ok, I looked at the Massive NX4. I see they still come in the same nice boxes.. I may have to get one. Looks like a quality piece. I'm going back to work, so it will be a bit till I get around to installing my components.. Will keep researching 4 channels, but the massive wins so far. 100W RMS is perfect.

Members online

No members online now.
Back