First time at the dragstrip

jayblev

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I recently went to Bristol Dragway in TN for one of their Street Fight nights. It was my first time with the LS on the strip. It is a 2000 V8 and all stock. I was expecting around a mid to upper 15 sec run but i ran 16.5 @ 88 mph both times i ran that night. Is this about right or is there something amiss. I have searched the website and everybody seems to be running in the 15 sec range unless they are modded.

Your 60' times probably suck. It takes practice to get good at launching, and the LS is not a great platform to learn on anyway. Street tires compound the issue, especially cheaper/older tires with too much pressure in them for launching. Post up the timeslips and we can tell you more.

Regardless, it was fun right? Are you hooked?

i had no wheelspin at all. I know these cars dont get into the powerband untill way up in the rpm range so i know a good launch is probably the key. I will post my slips asap. Yes it was fun. I have been running up there for years in various cars. Ive been addicted for awhile. Dont know if this will help eaither but i manual shifted both runs around 6100 rpm or so.

i had no wheelspin at all. I know these cars dont get into the powerband untill way up in the rpm range so i know a good launch is probably the key. I will post my slips asap. Yes it was fun. I have been running up there for years in various cars. Ive been addicted for awhile. Dont know if this will help eaither but i manual shifted both runs around 6100 rpm or so.

Did you turn the nanny off? I would suspect that is why you did not spin.

I bet his 60' time was at least 2.7, 2.8 or more. I find when you launch in an automatic it's best to start at half throttle, the engine seems to have more torque at lower rpms when not at WOT.

heres the info from my time slips.

60'.... 2.486
330... 7.039
1/8... 10.734
mph. 66.81
1000.. 13.883
1/4.... 16.538
mph... 84.49

thats the first run heres the second

60'... 2.467
330... 7.052
1/8... 10.744
mph.... 66.94
1000... 13.887
1/4... 16.534
mph... 85.15

let me know if there might be any reasons why i didnt run that fast. thanks. btw i did turn the advancetrack off. dont know if that would help either

Does anyone have any suggestions on why i ran as slow as i did? i would appreciate any and all help or tips.

Does anyone have any suggestions on why i ran as slow as i did? i would appreciate any and all help or tips.

The 60' was not great, and we can assume that the weather was not that good either. That should account for the times.

did you hold the gas and brake down at the same time until the rpm's reached about 2500-2700 rpm? it launches better with the boost

I don't think mine goes above 2200. The new converter will change that though. Just gotta come up with the $350 and the time to change it out. Will not be fun without a lift.

The LS is hard to launch if you want 2.1 60's, but it can be done. But just a random driver should be able to get 2.3s easily in a LS, come on guys its a auto and hardly has traction issues.

This car and most stock converters like to be launched of idle. brake reving it to mid 2ks is a complete waste of time and will get you terrible 60s.

If you were brake revving it and had the Advance track on....well that would be a worse than terrible and could explain the bad 60's.

Even with that 60' you should still be under 16 secs with 90ishmph.

Members online

No members online now.
Back