Flashing Check Engine Light

Stevemata

LVC Member
Reaction score
2004 V8

My check engine light illuminates and flashes when I accelerate or go up a hill. It feels like it's misfiring.

This was intermittent.

It started right after I filled up with some shell 92, I have since filled up again and it continues.

It's all the time now. However the check engine like has gone off and the car continues to misfire.

I took it to the Lincoln dealer and they gave me some line about about bad coils and having to run a $250 stress test + $50 to put it on the rack + 3 hours of work at $50 an hour.

I left.

I have been looking at ordering auto-tap + the enhanced ford parameters package. $300

Any suggestions?

This is now covered by extended factory warranty. You should have received a letter about it.

If you still have the factory warranty, this shold be a non-issue. If you don't, Ford put an extended factory warranty on the coils, boots, and valve cover gaskets. Like was mentioned, you should have or will receive a letter about it.

I posted the info for the 2003 LS. Do a search on here for the word "program" and you should find newer threads with the information for the 2004s.

Update:

The dealer replaced seven coils under the extended warranty, they said the eighth didn't qualify. I'm greatfull for the warranty, but I wish they had called me, I would have foot the bill to replace the eighth.

...they are basically a recall on all the ones that went bad in the 2nd gens
It's just a warranty extension, which is not at all like a recall. If it were a recall, you'd get a letter telling you to take the car in so they could replace the COPs, failed or not; as it stands, you can only get them to replace the COPs after they've failed.

These warranty coils, should I expect them to fail in 50k miles like the originals?

Yeah pretty much. There were a few people here working on getting tougher, more reliable, after market replacements made but the projects have yet to make it to fruition.
But you can get 8 coils on Ebay for about 150 bucks plus shipping if it ever comes around to needing them again.

Members online

No members online now.
Back