Flooded LS, Any Advice would help!

well if the insurance will not total it, then you dont have much of a choice... have you talked with your insurance company? .... your not talking alot of money either way

I know its not a lot of money, I planned on selling the car in about a year anyways. This will make it harder for me to sell. or if i keep the car and just start a new loan on another car, I wasn't sure what i was going to do yet. This effinately put a damper on things.

"Finally, perhaps next time you'll be cognizant of your surroundings and call the city when the drains are covered. It only rains every afternoon in Florida..."

The car was parked right next to a big street drain, there was also another drain across the street. The street had never ever flooded before, never seen a puddle in the street before.

Totaling is a formula that is calculated by cost of repairs vs current value of car. If you can get it to the dealer to asses price to make the car "whole" again it should cross the threshold. I disagree with over reacting. There are plenty of cars that have flooded the market( sorry for the pun) that are being sold from storms like sandy and Katrina. It has gotten nationwide publicity. If I were you I would at the least have an attorney write them a letter with what you want to happen. They will usually fold their hand to your bluff that you have and are willing to get legal involved. Check your fluids that keep oils and see if their is any milkyness. Drop your oil and see if there is any trace of water.

I would want to get the car to the right shop asap, so they can get it dried out. That way you protect the electrical, mitigate mildew and avoid mold.

There are lots of places that successfully deal with flooded cars, and those cars work fine. The scandalous part is when they re-title the cars in other states and don't disclose they were flooded when they sell them.

I know its not a lot of money, I planned on selling the car in about a year anyways. This will make it harder for me to sell. or if i keep the car and just start a new loan on another car, I wasn't sure what i was going to do yet. This effinately put a damper on things.

"Finally, perhaps next time you'll be cognizant of your surroundings and call the city when the drains are covered. It only rains every afternoon in Florida..."

The car was parked right next to a big street drain, there was also another drain across the street. The street had never ever flooded before, never seen a puddle in the street before.

who are you trying to convince here??? we (this forum) has no control on what happens. It sucks, im sorry..

Some say keep,
some say try and push insurance.. do what you want

I agree with Bigboi... Its all a numbers game. But your wasting your energy on this site when you should be talking with your claims / dealership.

you know your options, so go do something about it

not trying to be a d!ck about it, It just seems your getting upset with everyones opinion...thats all it is though, so dont worry. Go get what you want done

who are you trying to convince here??? we (this forum) has no control on what happens. It sucks, im sorry..

Some say keep,
some say try and push insurance.. do what you want

I agree with Bigboi... Its all a numbers game. But your wasting your energy on this site when you should be talking with your claims / dealership.

you know your options, so go do something about it

I understand G-Rell, I have just never had any expierence with a flooded car. I have gotten some good advice here and im going to use it in my situation. Thanks for your support guys, I really appreciate it.

I understand G-Rell, I have just never had any expierence with a flooded car. I have gotten some good advice here and im going to use it in my situation. Thanks for your support guys, I really appreciate it.

It sucks buddy no doubt about it...

I think you'll be fine once it dries out and cleaned up... If you just dont want the car anymore... keep pushing

To me if I didn't want the car anymore I'd just pay to get it dried out and sell it.

Before I'd even call the insurance Co I'd ask myself 'What does my insurance policy say about flood damage?' To me the last thing I would want is to try and be rid of a 'flood' branded car even if they 'fix' it for you.

I would love to hear how this turns out. Good luck with whichever way you try and go.

not sure why anyone is being snippy with OP, seems like he is just asking some basic questions.

personally, i am shocked they didnt total it without a fight based on the pictures. if i were you i would definitely fight it. dont let their 'certified shop' determine the extent of the repair. they cut corners for the insurance company. you need an independent shop that despises insurance companies. the local one here in columbus is three c body shop. google them bc they have some interesting articles on their website to help educate consumers on insurance co tricks that you will see throughout the process. 3c does great work but for whatever reason, the insurance companies wouldnt give them contracts, so instead they fight for consumers. insurance company has a preferred shop to cut corners for them, you have the option to talk to an independent shop to spare no expense and replace absolutely everything thats even a question mark. you need to find a shop like this and get an estimate from them and go to the negotiation table.

i would say the things you need to tell the insurance co after you get an independent repair estimate are "sure it works now, but what about all of the premature corrosion that is going to occur throughout the electronic systems? yall and your shop are ignoring that. my car has suffered a deferred loss, this event has occurred, and it will devalue my car over TIME, not necessarily right now". that is at least goign to get you more money. i would show them the pictures you posted, i doubt there is much they can do to fight back. the alternator and the fuses in the front kick plate are two talking points. the lowish trunk-mounted battery is another talking point, there is another fuse box back there too. plus the flood thign will show up on history reports and de-value the Fair market value as well. thats even more loss caused.

once you get them to total it you are going to have to fight tooth and nail to get them to give you a good settlement for it.

if they do NOT total it you should at least be able to secure yourself a check from insurance to you. the amount would depend on the yr miles options and condition of the car at the time of loss AND your ability to negotiate. its a learning opportunity for you, if nothing else. play the game and see what you can get. most people just roll over and get fcked by the insurance co though, so be prepared for lots of high pressure and yelling on their end. just keep your cool and keep fighting

kbb.com is going to dam near match what they will offer to pay you if they total it, based on my experiences. make sure they include all of your options on the vehicle report, i think its called like a CCC report or somethin like that. they will leave a ton of sh_it off the report. go over it with a fine tooth comb and make sure its right. if its close enough to where you want to be just pull the trigger and get your check. if not, comb thru your policy and check your other options, like an appraisal clause, or hire a lawyer (if possible).

Just a side note here:
I had the finest of a hooker once in Cocoa Beach, Motel right beside the Ron Jon Surf shop.

~ just thought you's wanted to know!

Was on a 13 day tour through Florida on a full dresser HD rental, was visiting the space center the next morning.

back in 1997 - Money well spend!

Just a side note here:
I had the finest of a hooker once in Cocoa Beach, Motel right beside the Ron Jon Surf shop.

~ just thought you's wanted to know!

Was on a 13 day tour through Florida on a full dresser HD rental, was visiting the space center the next morning.

back in 1997 - Money well spend!

Big Rig, Theres a Clarion and a motel 6 on the corner near Ron Jons; also, I work at Kennedy Space Center. lol

not sure why anyone is being snippy with OP, seems like he is just asking some basic questions.

personally, i am shocked they didnt total it without a fight based on the pictures. if i were you i would definitely fight it. dont let their 'certified shop' determine the extent of the repair. they cut corners for the insurance company. you need an independent shop that despises insurance companies. the local one here in columbus is three c body shop. google them bc they have some interesting articles on their website to help educate consumers on insurance co tricks that you will see throughout the process. 3c does great work but for whatever reason, the insurance companies wouldnt give them contracts, so instead they fight for consumers. insurance company has a preferred shop to cut corners for them, you have the option to talk to an independent shop to spare no expense and replace absolutely everything thats even a question mark. you need to find a shop like this and get an estimate from them and go to the negotiation table.

i would say the things you need to tell the insurance co after you get an independent repair estimate are "sure it works now, but what about all of the premature corrosion that is going to occur throughout the electronic systems? yall and your shop are ignoring that. my car has suffered a deferred loss, this event has occurred, and it will devalue my car over TIME, not necessarily right now". that is at least goign to get you more money. i would show them the pictures you posted, i doubt there is much they can do to fight back. the alternator and the fuses in the front kick plate are two talking points. the lowish trunk-mounted battery is another talking point, there is another fuse box back there too. plus the flood thign will show up on history reports and de-value the Fair market value as well. thats even more loss caused.

once you get them to total it you are going to have to fight tooth and nail to get them to give you a good settlement for it.

if they do NOT total it you should at least be able to secure yourself a check from insurance to you. the amount would depend on the yr miles options and condition of the car at the time of loss AND your ability to negotiate. its a learning opportunity for you, if nothing else. play the game and see what you can get. most people just roll over and get fcked by the insurance co though, so be prepared for lots of high pressure and yelling on their end. just keep your cool and keep fighting

I think you're right. I feel like I'm being had, I shouldve said NO when the adjuster said "we reccomend this shop", then had it towed to the local Lincoln Dealership.

Big Rig, Theres a Clarion and a motel 6 on the corner near Ron Jons; also, I work at Kennedy Space Center. lol

Yeah, that was quite the trip/vacation. I was still somewhat of a young punk back then.
Cashed out some stocks after Compaq bought us out and we received our lay-off notices. A girl had just split with me so was out on my own to cleanse the soul.

Started in Clearwater, FL. rented a full HD dresser from Iron Horse motorcycle rentals and headed further south to Miami (got a tat), halfway down the keys, back up through Ft. Lauderdale along the coast on 1 & 1A to Palm Beach, got on the 95, hit Cocoa Beach, visited the Space center, Partied hard in Daytona Beach, went to the track. back tracked through Orlando, visited with Mickey and finished it off coming through Tampa to Clearwater.

13 days round trip ... bike/hotels. was a lot of fun.

s49.jpgs37.jpgs38.jpgs19.jpgs35.jpgs29.jpgs14.jpgs28.jpgs16.jpgs17.jpg

Must be fun working at JFK space center. I made it back home just in time to see the launch of the shuttle that I witnessed being transfer to the launch pad during my visit. This would have been around last week of December 1997.

Anyhow, sorry to jack your thread, just remembered the good times in Cocoa Beach, hope your LS all works/dries out.

s14.jpg

s38.jpg

s19.jpg

s16.jpg

s17.jpg

s28.jpg

s29.jpg

s35.jpg

s37.jpg

s49.jpg

Members online

Back