Front Wheel Bearings?

LS_is_my_girlfriend

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
For the last few weeks my front right tire has been making a scratching sound (like rubbing plastic). I looked under the car and felt around the tire and nothing is touching. So I jacked up the car and spun the wheel, with no sound. I then pulled the tire and it tilted with a small squick. Thinking my wheel bearing is going out.

Any one know if the front wheel bearings are an easy job to replace, most other cars I have owned they just pop right out. Any advice would be great, thanks everyone.

Let me tell you if you have to save the front wheel bearing to reuse they can be a pain to get out. They like weld into the spindle on older car. If your getting new hub you can hammer the thing off spindle. Not so bad.

I recently had a rear wheel bearing go out and the dealer said I had to buy the hub/knuckle assembly at $900 and change. They said there was no other way, but the bearings are sold separately, and I found a machine shop to install it in my hub, and total. out the door installed was $300 (including having someone do the removal of the hub).

hubs are easy to swap, but the ABS sensor is kind of a pain in the ass. I woud buy the ford one not an after market. I think you can do both front hubs in an hour or two.

+1 :I

I did the hub/wheel bearings and the lower ball joints at the same time. Knowing I was putting in new hubs, I just smashed the old ones out :D. And, that made it easier for the machine shop to press out/in the old/new ball joints.

Cool, well I am trying to get new bearings from one of the many salvage cars being pulled for parts on here. Would prefer a car with under 100,000 miles, and no front end damage. Thinking it might be worth the extra $50 to buy new ones and not deal with a (possible) damaged bearing.

imo I wouldnt mess around with used parts. most LS's are getting up there in age and you wont get the same mileage from those hubs as a new one. buy new ones and definitely get the Ford ones

the O/E are a P/N 5w4z-1104-ba listing at 149.98 and LVC cost is 107.99 ea plus shipping.

max

Put the new bearing in this weekend... and it fixed the ugly noise. Also replaced the fuel filter since I had to bull the wheel panel to install the speed sensor wiring. Thanks for all your advice guys.

hubs are easy to swap, but the ABS sensor is kind of a pain in the ass. I woud buy the ford one not an after market. I think you can do both front hubs in an hour or two.

My hubs were an absolute pita to get apart. Because the hub and knuckle are two different kinds of metals, the corrosion is exaggerated and they just about fuse together. I was unable to hammer the hub out using bolts and a large brass hammer. I ended up having to take them to a machine shop and get them pressed out (along with the ball joints). The mechanic absolutely destroyed both speed sensors pressing them out so it was a good thing i was intending to replace them.

Members online

No members online now.
Back