Fuel DTE reading

97 Continental

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey fellow owners,
I wanted to know what your DTE indicates after filling up your fuel tank? I've filled up twice since I bought my Conti and get "296 miles to empty." Is this about the norm? My 95 T/C would usually show about 398 miles to empty after fill up. Just curious as it seems kinda low to me.

Thanks!

It all depends on how you are driving and the average mpg being achieved. On the highway on cruise I can keep my average mpg at 25 and go 450 miles. City average mpg is 18 and I go the 324 miles. The average mpg has a memory that records the last 500 miles if you don't reset it. To drive this car economically, don't accerlerate with an rpm higher than 1800-1900 rpm to let the torque converter lock up asap.

Okay, thanks. I just wanted to make sure that my Conti wasn't suffering some type of problem. Also, in light of the rip off gas prices, I've been using regular 87. Is there a big difference using 91?

You don't have to reset your average mpg, you can let it record 500 miles worth of info. It takes about 300 miles of highway driving to start changing the average mpg figure from the city average mpg. My car is great on gas, my summertime average of 50-50 city highway gets up to 25, where the highway runs were long like 500 miles and you can fill the memory full of highway high gas mileage numbers, and winter city is 17.

Okay, thanks. I just wanted to make sure that my Conti wasn't suffering some type of problem. Also, in light of the rip off gas prices, I've been using regular 87. Is there a big difference using 91?

i assume you dont have the owners manuel, it does state you should use 91 or better octane for best MPG. of course some people may say it doesnt matter, but then again they dont make these vehicles, so yeah i use 91 or better myself.

Since the car has knock sensors, it can handle 87 octane gas just fine. I do not notice any difference in mileage or power between 87 or 91 octane gas. I put a tank of premium in every third tank or so.

You don't have to reset your average mpg, you can let it record 500 miles worth of info. It takes about 300 miles of highway driving to start changing the average mpg figure from the city average mpg. My car is great on gas, my summertime average of 50-50 city highway gets up to 25, where the highway runs were long like 500 miles and you can fill the memory full of highway high gas mileage numbers, and winter city is 17.

That works out fine for me as I have been getting right at 500 Miles to a tank on the Highway. ;)

Members online

Back