Fuel Pump problems?

YouthKwest

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Today when I went out to start my car (98 LSC), it wouldn't start. It would crank fine, just not turn over. Checked the system check, and everything checked out except for being low on fuel. I park on an incline (driveway) and this hasn't ever happened. I am curious about it maybe being the fuel pump. Cause the indicator reflected 41 miles left, but the pump wasn't getting fuel in to start the car.

Has anyone else encountered this and if so, what was the verdict, how much was it to fix??? Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Joe

go get gas. one time i had 72 miles left, and it wouldnt do anything...eventually i just got some gas for it, and it started right up, and continued to say 72 miles till empty till i drove it for a few min.

The pump basket is located in front of the tank, on the right side.

So if you park on an incline that would result in pulling the fuel away from the basket, you will have a problem.

something to think about, don't run your tank that low to begin with, you'll burn your pump out quicker. The pump stays submerged in the basket to cool it off and prolong its life. As far as replacing costs, do it yourself on a weekend and save your money.

Jibit said:
something to think about, don't run your tank that low to begin with, you'll burn your pump out quicker. The pump stays submerged in the basket to cool it off and prolong its life. As far as replacing costs, do it yourself on a weekend and save your money.

Unfortunately I am a "checkbook mechanic". I kinda suck with tools. So I just hire "professionals" to handle the installation.

Just need to add gas. The computer is not 100% and if at an incline you re toast. Wife used to do this all the @#$$ time in the 95.

"But it said it has 50 miles left on the computer"...sigh

Pump replacment to pay someone -I guess is $500-$750.

so if the car hesitates while starting on low fuel you do not nessarly need a new pump?

Frat-man-du said:

Pump replacement to pay someone -I guess is $500-$750.

:q:q:q:q i was think of getting a new one is that a total guess or like an estimate?

Well that was the culprit....dirty lil incline, leveled the car off and it started right up, then i filled the tank. Thanks guys for a great forum and excellent answers!

Joe

YouthKwest said:
Well that was the culprit....dirty lil incline, leveled the car off and it started right up, then i filled the tank. Thanks guys for a great forum and excellent answers!

Joe

When was the last time you changed or had it changed, $$$ your fuel filter?

Members online

Back