G-D Warranty Question

BostonLS

LVC Member
Reaction score
I have a question for all the experienced LS owners. My car has run PERFECT since I bought it last year used from a friend's friend that has a dealership in NH. It started sputtering at a stop light last night, and was slightly jerky leaving the stop light last night and wouldn't you know it, my warranty expires at the end of the month. So my question being, would you guys suggest:

A. Getting the extended warranty through Lincoln,
B. Getting a second/third party warranty or,
C. NOT getting a extended warranty at all.

Something tells me that if I don't get one I'll regret it and end up spending $10K on repairs over the next 5 years on stuff that would have been covered in an extended warranty, but that's just the way my luck runs. Thoughts would be greatly appreciated...Thanks everyone.

Keith

The only extended warranty I would EVER consider is one from Ford. All the others will gladly take your money then spend the rest of their time finding ways to deny your coverage.

Ford ESP Warranty

Ken,

Sorry to pick on the semantics of your reply, I'm not trying to be antagonistic, but, does that mean you have one, you would get one, or that you would suggest the FORD ESP warranty for people foolish enough to want one??? I am pretty wary of dropping $1200 on an extended warranty. This is my first NICE car that I could actually get a warranty on, so I would rather be a lemming and go with the crowd off the cliff and get one if that is acceptable...

GrayGhost1 said:
Ford ESP Warranty is the only way to go:

http://www.fordwarrantys.com/

BostonLS said:
Ken,

Sorry to pick on the semantics of your reply, I'm not trying to be antagonistic, but, does that mean you have one, you would get one, or that you would suggest the FORD ESP warranty for people foolish enough to want one??? I am pretty wary of dropping $1200 on an extended warranty. This is my first NICE car that I could actually get a warranty on, so I would rather be a lemming and go with the crowd off the cliff and get one if that is acceptable...

I bought the Ford ESP Premium extended warranty for my 2000 LS. 5 yrs or 100K miles. I paid, IIRC, $1700. It turned out to be a waste of money. The one thing that that went (coolant by-pass hose) wasn't covered. That wasn't a big deal as the repair was less than $150, including a new thermostat.

I have the Ford ESP, and with my 2000 LS I have had every problem ever mentioned on here...i.e. squeaky steering, no heat, coils, whining fan, and a few others. Everything was covered by the ESP but the coolant hoses. So I think it was worth the investment. I am pretty sure though that no matter what warranty you get none of them cover expendable items like hoses.

Oh yeah the Ford ESP has a $100.00 deductible

BostonLS said:
Ken,

I had a Ford ESP warranty up to 75,000 miles. It has since expired. If I remember correctly I paid like $1100 for mine when I bought my car. The extended warranty paid for two major things on my car. One was the hard starting issue which was in and out of the shop for one year trying to diagnose the problem. The other problem was the A/C issue of not cooling. Both problems would have cost me out of pocket around $2500 but ended up only costing me $200. So, it saved me money.

Your mileage may vary with an extended warranty. However, if you have to go with one I'd recommend the Ford ESP. You don't get hassled at the dealer and you only pay the deductible. Some people argue that an extended warranty is a waste of money. However, if you bought it and something major happened then it makes it worth while. If you do buy a warranty and you never use it then it could be considered a waste of money. It's basically an insurance policy IN CASE something happens.

Only you can determine whether or not you need one. I wasn't trying to sway you to get an extended warranty but if you do go with the Ford ESP.

I have an aftermarket warranty I would have to say be very careful if you go this route. I did not check mine out and got a crappy one. I am still going to get my money back because my a/c is going bad ($1200 to fix). you take ur chances, but i think it is worth the piece of mind. I would do some research if you do go aftermarket.

Thanks for the help guys. On the way home tonight, the check engine light came on and the thing drove like my first car, an 85 olds calais. I couldn't get the thing above 2000 rpm and when it did, it immediately dropped to 1500. Not fun. It's going to the dealership tomorrow, I still have the warranty, but I'm sure it'll still cost me a TON.

Members online

No members online now.
Back