Gas Mileage ?

05'LSRN

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I drive a 2005 LS V8. I don't have to drive very far. I drive like 4 miles to work. I figured the V8 would be ok re:gas Because I don't go far. I'm getting 15.5 mpg, I don't usually drive over 45mph. Is it just that this car does better when you drive highway miles? Or is there something I could do to make mileage better? Has 28.5k on it now

i take it you haven't owned a V8 or a luxury car before ;)
that's pretty normal mileage for how you're using this type of car. i drive mostly city miles and average 14-15. on highway, anywhere from 20-23. because all our LS's are different, YMMV of course. but those are pretty normal numbers for a V8 sedan.

this was after 112miles on hwy with k&n slip in and flowmaster exhaust..

pic032908_2.gif

you probably a) don't have huge wheels and b) don't live in a super congested city and c) drive like a gramma. hehe just kidding ;)

I don't, though, that's the thing. I'd be better off with an SRT-8. Get the same mileage but more room and more power lol

During my commute here in Atlanta my 2005 v8 will average 21.1-21.2. My 95 Mark VIII I had before on the same drive would average 24.3.

My last V8 was a 1978 Mercury Cougar XR7, 20 ft long but lots of power! I think probably why I'm noticing the difference, is I didn't have to put premium in the Cougar. Seems like it got better mileage. These gas prices just get ya thinking about it I guess. Thanks all.

78 cougar, damn, haven't seen one of those in ages. so i take back my v8 comment! yes the higher prices will make you think. it will be $4 nationwide by the end of the year and will never sink below that again. for those of us on a budget, we'll have to cut back in some other area to keep our LS's purring nicely. aww... who am i kidding. drive it like its meant to be driven and forget about the cost! :D

Loved the Cougar, got it in 92 from g-ma's friend w/ 20k miles on it. Had an eight-track stock. lol. She only drove it to the store for 14 yrs.

I don't, though, that's the thing. I'd be better off with an SRT-8. Get the same mileage but more room and more power lol

You're really thinking about getting that Charger, aren't you? :D I think this is the second post I've read where you've mentioned it. Are you thinking about trading in your LS for it? They are really nice cars, especially the SRT-8... mmmmh 6.1L 425HP; it just might be able to keep up with my Chevelle. :D

Sorry for getting off topic... carry on.

Yessa!! It's consumed me as of late. lol Even went to go look at a few over the weekend. And yes, I'd be trading in the LS (and taking a beating on it, to boot). But it's worth it to me to have something a little newer (and more powerful to help with my need for speed) and not have all these little things going on with the car that are starting to get on my nerves.

Must.....have.....an....SRT-8!!

:D

Yessa!! It's consumed me as of late. lol Even went to go look at a few over the weekend. And yes, I'd be trading in the LS (and taking a beating on it, to boot). But it's worth it to me to have something a little newer (and more powerful to help with my need for speed) and not have all these little things going on with the car that are starting to get on my nerves.

Must.....have.....an....SRT-8!!

:D

LMAO. Yeah, you might be paying a bit more to Mr. Insurance Man, but that extra HP would be worth it. :D Make sure to post up plenty of pictures here when you get it!

Mr Insurance Man and Mr Finance Man lol

But yeah, if I can get something worked out, I'll definitely throw up some pics. We shall see!!

/thread hijack

:shifty:

when was the last time you changed your fuel filter? last time i swapped mine i got a +3mpg gain both city & highway. of course this isn't the only thing that contributes to more efficient mileage but it's a good starting point.

Made a road trip to SoCal two weeks ago and on the way back I registered 29.4 MPG running around 70+. I checked the math at time of fill up and it was correct!

My gas mileage has improved after the trip as well. When I bought the car it only had 8,300 Miles on it and now has approx. 17K. My guess is that it hadn't been on a "Long" Road Trip in its life and so my ECU must have adjusted.

I just bought an 06 LS about 2 weeks ago. So far around town, the actual fill the tank, do the math, mileage has been a low of 18.0 to a high of 21.3 mpg. Now my wife and son are on a 800 mile, check out a college, road trip to the mid-west. At the first fill-up, they called and reported :) 26.2 mpg! I was happy with that. Then later after another fill-up, my calls and said they got 28.4 mpg!!!!!:D I asked her how fast are you going and her answer was between 70 and 80 mph. I gotta say I really dig this car so far:D

I'm averaging about 18.5 city/highway combined.

thats weird I get like 19-20 and thats after my calculations. not by going on what it says on the screen.

The faster you drive an LS V8, the better the mileage; hard to beat that.
2000 Ls V8 with 117,000 miles

Yep, I have a 2003 V8 with a K&N CAI and @ 70 mph on Hwy I get 28.2 miles per gallon. Before I put the K&N on it, I was getting 26.5 mpg.
City 16-18 miles per gallon.

Members online

No members online now.
Back