Getting new paint....What to do with Chrome side moulding

$500_Mark_VIII

LVC Member
Reaction score
The $500 Mark VIII (1994) Black on Black goes into paint next week. the chrome (like) insert in the side moulding and both bumpers are toast. Let me here it from the crowd.....what do I do??

Does anyone know of any way to "recondition" or "rechrome" the side moulding. . . Surely there's some type of stick on insert.

color match them. that is what im gonna do with mine when the time comes.while your at it color match the grill and the front chrome piece above the grill. several members have done this and i think it looks hot.

Yeah, I've certainly considered that and may very well do it. I've looked at alot of the pics on here and do like the color matched ones on the black gen ones.

But was curious if there is a real option out there to keep the "chrome".

first time you slam the door you can watch the fiberglass or bondo fall off lol.

not if you do any prep work at all. i bondoed over a front bumper emblem a few years ago. the only prep i did was clean the area with alcohol first and it has held up great, i couldn't believe it. not even as much as a crack has shown up.

how do you paint chrome i have wanted to do the chrome around my windows but are there any special steps or products for chrome?

not if you do any prep work at all. i bondoed over a front bumper emblem a few years ago. the only prep i did was clean the area with alcohol first and it has held up great, i couldn't believe it. not even as much as a crack has shown up.

putting bondo over an emblem location is much different than putting a 1/4 thick x 1 inch wide strip around the entire car, thats not the right way to do it, sure it can be done, but its totally half ass. they have bumper covers and moldings without the groove, they were LSC's, thats the right way to eliminate the chrome body strips. but then again, it isnt my car so bondo away if thats what floats your boat lol. bondo is for backyard bodymen, its a halfass way to bandaid a problem! you can prep all you want, bondo will crack and come off.

I just bought the piece from flex-chrome and it works great. You'll need a quantity of two however to fit properly. If you do buy it let me know and I'll give you tons of tips on how to do it.

I'll take a pic after it's done. I finished the two long strips, but realized I didn't have enough so I'm awaiting the second shipment to finish it up. I'll l post pics as soon as It's done.

Out the door price with shipping will be a hair under $75

Thanks for the advice and loved the pics of the Green and Red VIII. They do look beautiful. Still undecided.....but leaning to the painting them the color of the car. No bondo though.

In that post with the red and green Marks, That part number is a typo, sorry it's supposed to be HR018C.

Members online

No members online now.
Back