GMANjr Needs Help

GMAN

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey all you guys on the east coast. My son is in Virginia Beach, and I am in need of a member to give him some help. His 93 is not getting into 2nd gear. Is anyone close by him to give him a hand with this? The transmission was rebuilt last year, but none of the solienoids were replaced. Is there something that is causing his tranny not to go into 2nd? I am thinking a bad MLPS switch.

Does it do so manually or not at all. If not at all it may be more than the MLPS. How about third, OD, etc?

My gut says its not the MLPS then. Sounds like 2nd may have gone. I suppose putting on a $40 part is cheaper and easier than dropping the trans though. If it were me I would replace it and cross my fingers.

Pulling the codes may help lead him in the right direction, there are many codes related to the trans & solenoids within...

The man that did the tranny would be your first guy to go to. He knows what he did or didn't do, and about what it should cost to fix. Then there is the dealer who for a fee will put a computor on it to anaylize the problem.

one way clutch gone!

it sounds like mine when it went,
unless the rebuild included a mechanical diode one way,i bet thats what dumped on him.

Man, I lived in Norfolk, VA and Va Beach (in the Navy) for the last 5 years, but I just moved to SC a few months ago. I would have loved to help.

Sorry.

I do have a friend there still that may be able to help him....he's got a 94 Mark VIII that runs low 12's and he's ASE certified. Let me know if you need me to get ahold of him. He's in the Navy too. I think you told me once that your son is also in the Navy.

Does it do so manually or not at all. If not at all it may be more than the MLPS. How about third, OD, etc?

Man, I lived in Norfolk, VA and Va Beach (in the Navy) for the last 5 years, but I just moved to SC a few months ago. I would have loved to help.

Sorry.

I do have a friend there still that may be able to help him....he's got a 94 Mark VIII that runs low 12's and he's ASE certified. Let me know if you need me to get ahold of him. He's in the Navy too. I think you told me once that your son is also in the Navy.

it doesnt when i try manually. i tried today and i can tell when the tranny goes from 1st to 2nd. the only thing about it is that when it does shift to 2nd and i try to go any faster, thats when it seems like the i dont go anywhere and my engine just revs...i accelerate some in 2nd but it doesnt accelerate me all the way through.

if it is the MLPS switch and your friend can help, i am in NAS Oceana. tell him to give me a call. 281-253-8359

-Greg Jr.

The guy who did the transmission said it could be a possible bad solenoid. I don't know what he means by that.

speaking from personal experience..

When the shift soleniod pack "craps" it will "only have second gear".
not the other way around.

I agree it sounds like the one way clutch has given up the ghost.

wish I had better news.

Doubtful a MLPS will solve the issue.

Greg, give me a call if I can help you further sir.

might want to hang on to your car, Gmanjr might be needing it, until he gets his trans sorted out.

also, since each gear uses a combinations of the two shift solenoids..with the exception of second gear. Second gear is commanded by turning OFF both soleniods...
Since you have the "other gears" that tells me that both shift soleniods are present and accounted for.

sorry greg, wish I could say 100.00 worth of solenoids or 40 dollars for MLPS would "get the boy up and running again" but.. I dont think that is the case.
(frown)

It's a '93 which had the first (and worst) 4R70W designs. 2nd gear is what typically goes on that model year.

It was only a matter of time.

Grab a '98 model trans and he'll be able to floor it all day without fear.

another for a failed OWC....especially if it was manually shifted

Was it rebuilt with a mechanical diode one way clutch, or a roller clutch?

Was it rebuilt with a mechanical diode one way clutch, or a roller clutch?

yeah,thats the question.
if a regular shop did it they only probable rebuilt it to original specs,
someone that knows these transmissions would upgrade it.

i still like the idea of just replacing an older 4r70w with a newer mustang unit,you get so many upgraded parts for a lot less $ and buying a decent mileage used one is probably still going to last longer than an incorrectly rebuilt old (new)one.

grab an 02 Gt trans for 200-400$ and toss it in there (dont forget to repin and swap a few parts)

That tranny was rebuilt a year ago.:mad:

while that may be true, they still have the "problem" with the one way clutch.
unless you put the upgraded mechanical one way diode in there...

even a brand new rebuilt pre 98 transmission is living on borrowed time.

It is the one way clutch. He is going to have to baby the transmission until he gets back home next month.

just an FYi,

dont know if this always holds true or not,but i ran mine without 2nd for 3 months before i had the time/$ to fix it.

it worked perfectly other than shifting from 1st straight to 3rd ,i would just run it up a little in first and then let off the gas somewhat and wait for the trans to find 3rd,out on the highway you dont even notice it,or atleast i didnt.

when my soleniod pack shorted I drove the car home 225 miles in second gear.

running between 4500-5500 RPMs the whole way..
(lol)
FUN STUFF

yea sumthin like that!

sounded like a Nascar Cup Car..(lol)

Members online

No members online now.
Back