Have to tap pedal to start

remogaggi

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
i have to tap the pedal when starting my ignitiion for the car to turnover, what could it be???

the gas, it'll do this sometimes. if it does it i'll have to turn the ignition then hit the gas and it'll turnover. i was thinking fuel pump or some type of fuel delivery problem. i have been losing gas mileage. it's no aftermarket alarm, just the standard one.

Ive Also Had That Problem But Mine Was The Break Pedel. I Thought I Was Some Kind Of Kill Switch.

it wont crank unless you tap the gas pedel? or it will crank but it just wont start? if it just cranks and cranks but wont start, id try the fuel filter first.

it will crank but, the engine won't turnover until i tap the gas while cranking it. if i start my car 4 times a day it happens maybe half of that

it will crank but, the engine won't turnover until i tap the gas while cranking it. if i start my car 4 times a day it happens maybe half of that

If the starter spins the crankshaft, that means the engine turns over. What you are trying to say is that it won't fire up. It is confusing when the wrong terms are used. You made it sound like the starter wouldn't engage. Anyway, if you have a gen I, it could be a failing IAC.

You just tap the gas pedal meaning, on then right off then it starts? Or are you holding pedal down till it starts? V6 or V8?

my bad about the false terminology, like you said it won't fire up. when i'm cranking it, it'll keep cranking but won't fire until i hit the pedal. it is a v8 2002. didn't do it at all today.

my bad about the false terminology, like you said it won't fire up. when i'm cranking it, it'll keep cranking but won't fire until i hit the pedal. it is a v8 2002. didn't do it at all today.

Do you hold the pedal part way down while cranking the car (would make sense), or do you tap the pedal, release it completely, and then crank the car (would be really odd)?

If it's the former, then I suggest you try cleaning or replacing the IAC. If it's the latter, then I have no clue.

I thought the LS Gas Pedals doesn't do anything before it fires up...Heard it was programed not to work during turnovers

Not the 1st gens they're good ole cable actuated.

How bout a bad TPS? If it reads flat the PCM might think the throttle is wide open which would kill the fuel injectors.

Lux....even i dont know what to make out of you laughing at that post about your post.

Theres a few things it could be.

id start with the fuel filter.

try this....turn the key on to the accessory position, just befor it cranks. let it sit there for 3-5 seconds. turn the key fully off. then turn it to the same position just befor starting (not sure if thats the accesory position on these cars or not). turn it off again. then turn it to the accessory position once more and wait 3-5 seconds, they try to start the car. doing this will prime the fuel lines and build pressure.

If it starts id say your looking at deffinetly fuel filter, if you do the fuel filter and it doesnt fix anything you may want to run a fuel pressure check. if its low you might be looking at a fuel pump.

If it doesnt start id say take it to the dealership lol

You arnt getting any check engine lights?

Another issue (so lincoln tells me) is the fuel injectors can be known to leak, causing long cranking issues.

i thinks its the fuel filter as well. i don't trust the dealership, they tried to get me to replace my entire cooling system in an estimate for a defected degas bottle that they didn't recommend replacing. i come on here first. when cranking, i have to hold the pedal until it starts usually a mere second of pressure on the gas. it's like the gas isn't getting to the engine until i manually do it.

Just like mentioned Ford has a problem with some fuel injectors leaking. What they do is flood the cly so it won't fire unless you wide open throttle to "air" out the cly dry so plug can then start firing again. But I was thinking if thats it would still fire right up on the other 6 or 7 plugs that are dry and stumble till it burnt off wet on flooded cly (clys).

i thinks its the fuel filter as well. i don't trust the dealership, they tried to get me to replace my entire cooling system in an estimate for a defected degas bottle that they didn't recommend replacing. i come on here first. when cranking, i have to hold the pedal until it starts usually a mere second of pressure on the gas. it's like the gas isn't getting to the engine until i manually do it.

When you do this [press on the gas pedal] you do not cause any more gasoline to flow into the engine. What it does is allow more air to flow into the engine. Either it's flooding, someone messed with the throttle hard stop position, or you have a really odd problem with the IAC.

Members online

No members online now.
Back