Having a kid in two weeks. I need my ac to work! Help!!!

Sarge

LVC Member
Reaction score
Like the title says I am having a kid any day now and of course my ac has quit working. It blows 65 to 70* air out of the drivers side vents, and 90 to 95* air out of the passenger side vents. I had this problem over the winter with the heater and it was the dccv. Replacing it fixed the problem. Well, I just replaced the dccv again this morning and it hasn't helped. What else could it be? Please let me know if you have any ideas, because I can't be driving my infant son around when it is 90* in the car.

Much thanks,
Hunter

Like the title says I am having a kid any day now and of course my ac has quit working. It blows 65 to 70* air out of the drivers side vents, and 90 to 95* air out of the passenger side vents. I had this problem over the winter with the heater and it was the dccv. Replacing it fixed the problem. Well, I just replaced the dccv again this morning and it hasn't helped. What else could it be? Please let me know if you have any ideas, because I can't be driving my infant son around when it is 90* in the car.

Much thanks,
Hunter

It sounds like you are low on R-134a. That would be because you have a leak. If you just refill it and don't fix the leak, you will run the risk that you will ruin your compressor (and possibly the rest of the system) when too much compressor oil leaks out. Alternately, your compressor could already be damaged.

Lastly, did you run the self diagnostics? The fuse for the compressor is the same one as for the DCCV, so a shorted DCCV could have blown the fuse. I doubt this is the case, as you would be getting air well over 100 degrees out of both sides.

Thanks for the reply. I had it checked for leaks before I replaced the dccv. The shop said there were no leaks and evacuated and recharged just to make sure. They wanted $1000 to replace the dccv so I just did it myself.

So...I have a charged system, new dccv, and it still isn't working. This is seriously stressing me out.

Thanks,
Hunter

more info

what year and engine? the symptoms are DCCV related, did you flush the system good and bleed correctly???????????? any codes? oh! I know, could be the temp sensor on the passenger side..........

Hunter sorry i cant help but congratulations on having a kid. nothing better in the world IMO.

change the thermostat and bleed cooling sistem, that worked for me in a similar problem. i spent like 20 bucks doing that.

Thanks guys. Its a 2001 v8...I am bleeding the cooling system right now.

Thanks,
Hunter

Cooling system is completely bled. I have 60* from the driver's side and 80* from the passenger side. Better, but still not what it should be.

Where is the temp sensor on the passenger side? I guess I will check that next.

Thanks,
Hunter

Cooling system is completely bled. I have 60* from the driver's side and 80* from the passenger side. Better, but still not what it should be.

Where is the temp sensor on the passenger side? I guess I will check that next.

Thanks,
Hunter

The temperature sensor that you can see is the ambient air temperature sensor. It is for the whole car, not just the driver's side. There are three more temperature sensors. One is outside, and the other two are on the heater core, one for the driver's side, and one for the passenger's side. It's possible for the passenger's side one to be wrong and cause your problem. However, if you still have the same issue with the temperature set to 60 degrees, then this isn't your problem.

When was the refrigerant changed/checked? If it wasn't today, then that could still be the problem. Verify under the hood that the AC compressor clutch is engaging and staying engaged. If it isn't, or if it is cycling, then low refrigerant is a good possibility. Other possibilities are bad clutch, bad low pressure switch, bad wiring, DATC fault, bad compressor, bad expansion valve, bad PCM, serious engine problem.

It's also possible that you have yet another bad DCCV that isn't sealing all the way off. If so, then you should get good cool air when you first start the car and the engine is cold. You could also pinch off the heater hoses with some locking pliers. If you do this and get ice cold air, then your DCCV, the wiring to it, or the DATC is bad.

but did you change the thermostat? you have to change it. well i changed it and my ac worked fine.

it cost like 7 bucks.
when i flushed my cooling sistem i bleed everything and filled up with water and a special radiator cleaner, i flushed & refill like 3 times but with my engine running and my a/c turned on to the max hot. finally i replaced my thermostat and filled with the coolant 50%.

Hey guys,

Sorry to kind of hi-jack, but don't want to start another A/C thread. My compressor is new on my car and I went to have it charged. The high side was really high in pressure and the low side had a vacuum indicating a clog somewhere in the system according to the mechanic. Where would be the first place to look for a restriction, the accumulator? Would it be okay to disconnect the lines and blow compressed air through?

The '02 LS supposedly has a control damper in the air ductwork variously called a bypass or blend door. A warranty service ticket that I have calls it a "blend door". Replacement of its actuator ("Motor Assembly XW4Z-19E616-CA") corrected the unbalanced or hot one side cool the other symptoms. The DCCV had been replaced sometime earlier under warranty coverage. Unwarrantied repair would have cost $187.95 plus a diagnostic charge.

New development: Just for fun I tried turning on the heater this morning, and it is blowing 70* air. I'm really getting frustrated...

recheck your work on the DCCV

could you have forgotten something when repairing the DCCV? maybe one of the solenoids is bad? check out the wires to and from the dccv any broken? do a DATC self test, press off and floor at the same time, then auto within two seconds, record the codes, exit self test by pressing any button. put codes on message board

Last edited:

Members online

Back