Headers 98 Mark base

bhans40

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I've read where headers really don't improve performance in our cars.....I this true?....I've been thinking about installing a set.....But I'm not going to invest the big money (purchase and install) if there is not much improvement.....So what are the facts of the matter....Bruce L. Hansen.....Senior Citizen....Alive by the grace and mercy of GOD

What are you trying to do? If you want a hot rod you probably should get a different car?

I've read where headers really don't improve performance in our cars.....I this true?....I've been thinking about installing a set.....But I'm not going to invest the big money (purchase and install) if there is not much improvement.....So what are the facts of the matter....Bruce L. Hansen.....Senior Citizen....Alive by the grace and mercy of GOD
My 1998 Mark VIII LSC has Kooks headers from Supercoupe Performance, twin cats, a Borla 2 in/2 out center mount muffler, and it's 2 1/2" stainless steel "Trubendz" (very poor fit, but I got them in) back to a pair of Chinesium resonators. Bottom line...absolutely noticeable increase in power, responsiveness, miles per gallon, and the car sounds incredibly better; because the stock exhaust manifolds are very restrictive. However, the results would be significantly less impressive with just headers patched into the stock exhaust system. I am very happy with the improvement and, for me, it was money well spent. Hope this is helpful.

What are you trying to do? If you want a hot rod you probably should get a different car?
What am I trying to do?.....Well I'd like a better free flowing exhaust, and along with that a better sound with maybe a little better performance.....If I wanted a hot rod Lincoln it would already be a hot rod Lincoln.....11 years, I've had my Mark for 11 years.....June of 2013........Bruce L Hansen.....Senior Citizen.....Alive by the grace and mercy of GOD

My 1998 Mark VIII LSC has Kooks headers from Supercoupe Performance, twin cats, a Borla 2 in/2 out center mount muffler, and it's 2 1/2" stainless steel "Trubendz" (very poor fit, but I got them in) back to a pair of Chinesium resonators. Bottom line...absolutely noticeable increase in power, responsiveness, miles per gallon, and the car sounds incredibly better; because the stock exhaust manifolds are very restrictive. However, the results would be significantly less impressive with just headers patched into the stock exhaust system. I am very happy with the improvement and, for me, it was money well spent. Hope this is helpful.
Made a mistake doubled up somehow.....Thank you T0M MK VIII.... for sharing what you've done to your Mark.....The muffler shop wouldn't me delete the 3rd cat so instead they came off the 3rd cat and split the exhaust from there back.....They also put a couple of nice resonators where the mufflers were.....If I go with the headers I may have a problem getting a shop to do the work..... Smog inspections....Do you pass your smog inspection?.....California smogged checked my Mark every year.....$65 every year....Never had any problems......Bruce L Hansen.....Senior Citizen.....Alive by the grace and mercy of GOD

Made a mistake doubled up somehow.....Thank you T0M MK VIII.... for sharing what you've done to your Mark.....The muffler shop wouldn't me delete the 3rd cat so instead they came off the 3rd cat and split the exhaust from there back.....They also put a couple of nice resonators where the mufflers were.....If I go with the headers I may have a problem getting a shop to do the work..... Smog inspections....Do you pass your smog inspection?.....California smogged checked my Mark every year.....$65 every year....Never had any problems......Bruce L Hansen.....Senior Citizen.....Alive by the grace and mercy of GOD
I'm in the People's Republic of California, but for five years I've had no problem with smog checks...for four reasons: (1) it's an LSC with OEM true dual exhaust; (2) the headers come with bungs for the oxygen sensors - all my smog junk is fully functional; (3) it's got 75,000 pampered miles, so the engine is tight and the smog numbers are very low; (4) the engine compartment is so cramped that the (Cerakote heat barrier) powder coated (flat black) headers are not readily apparent. I fitted all the pieces together, then paid a performance oriented shop to weld it up. They don't do smog checks; understood that it would be legal - but didn't really care. On smog checks - including once at a "Star Station" (more finicky) - the tailpipe numbers are so low, and their OBD checking computer is so content, that they've never even bothered with opening the hood.

IMG_20220522_094514479 (2022_10_13 03_53_59 UTC).jpg

image44 (2022_08_27 03_42_59 UTC).jpg

image150 (2022_08_27 03_42_59 UTC).jpg

IMG_20221023_103631052 (2022_10_24 00_36_32 UTC) (1).jpg

image131 (2022_08_27 03_42_59 UTC).jpg

IMG_20221023_100637646 (2022_10_24 00_36_32 UTC) (1).jpg

Members online

No members online now.
Back