Headlight alternatives

fossten

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Okay, for you guys like me who might be a little light in the wallet and don't want to drop a grand for freakin' headlights, here is some info you might like:

I emailed Daniel Stern Lighting Consultants after visiting their website. The site has detailed instructions about how to re-wire your headlights for maximum output. You can even purchase a kit (minus the wire itself) from him for around $50 or $60 to do it.

This guy is really helpful. I'm going to give him my business b/c it looks like I can re-do the whole system myself for about $150.
Here is the email and the response I got:

(my email)
I am very interested in purchasing a relay installation kit for my Lincoln Mark VIII, 1993. I just am not sure which one on your list fits my car. I would also like ordering information.

(response)
Ah, the '93 Lincoln Mark VIII. Yes. I understand exactly why you need a relay kit -- those headlamps are awful! A relay kit will help, but there are two other things you must do, as well:
1) Make sure the headlamps themselves are in good condition. The reflector shiny stuff has a tendency to peel and flake, and the lenses cloud up and go yellow. Your reflectors need to be "new mirror" perfect and the lenses must be sparkly clear. If they're not, replace the headlamp assemblies.

2) Install bulbs that produce more light; i.e., the new 9011 HIR bulbs.The new bulbs are not some tinted or overwattage version of 9005, but rather employ a relatively new technology called HIR, Halogen Infrared.

The mechanical dimensions of the bulb are all virtually identical to the 9005, but the bulb glass is spherical instead of tubular, with the sphere centered around the filament. There is a "Durable IR Reflective" coating on the spherical glass. Infrared = heat, so the coating causes heat to be reflected back to the filament at the center of the sphere. This causes the filament to become much hotter (producing more light) than it can by passing electricity through it, *without* the shorter life or greater heat production that comes with overwattage bulbs (to say nothing of overwattage bulbs' incompatibility with stock wiring.)

Here's the comparison:

stock: 9005, 12.8V, 65W, 1700 lumens, 320 hours
new: 9011, 12.8V, 65W, 2530 lumens, 320 hours
So, about 49 percent more light. They work in the high and in the low beam. These bulbs are spendy - $34/ea - but their cost is worth considering in context: Any number of companies will charge you more than this for a tarted-up 9005 with blue colored glass (PIAA and Sylvania Silverstar come to mind) that doesn't produce more light and has a very short lifespan.

The HIR bulbs have a double-wide top ear on the plastic bulb base, this is to comply with the law requiring different bulbs to have different bases. The extra-wide plastic top ear is easily trimmed or filed to make the bulb fit your headlamp's bulb receptacle. Once that's done, they go directly into the headlamp, and the existing sockets snap on.

ORDERING INSTRUCTIONS

Please indicate:

The quantity of each item you wish
The type of shipping you wish
(UPS trackable ground shipping is standard; all UPS service levels are
available)
The address to which you want the items shipped (if different from billing
address)
Whether the UPS driver has permission to leave the parcel at your doorstep
if you are not available to accept it in person.
You may voicemail or fax your order toll-free on 1-866-861-8668. Please
note this is a recorded orderline only. If you wish to speak to me in
person, please use 416-766-2327.
Orders may also be sent via e-mail to: dastern@torque.net
We accept Visa and Mastercard. Orders are processed securely.
Whatever method you use, the following information is required in order to
process a credit card order:
Card type

Card number

Expiry date

Your name as it appears on the card

Billing address

Phone number

Please don't forget to include a note (such as a printout of our e-mail)

stating exactly which items you are ordering, and where you wish them

sent.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Best Regards,

DS

I think that guy is giving you excellent advise. Not sure you'll find your housings to be in the shape he suggested. Also, from what I understand, he will supply you will the materials to put together a headlight harness with relays. It won't come assembled. You can buy one fully assembled for about $35.

Good luck

Keep his primary reccomendation in mind. Make sure your housings are in decent shape. I don't care how bright a bulb is, if you don't have the reflector material, your not gonna get anything out of em'.

I just happend to notice the reflective coating is peeling of of my frikkin HID housings on my 95. Time to call up Max.

Mike

94m5 said:
Keep his primary reccomendation in mind. Make sure your housings are in decent shape. I don't care how bright a bulb is, if you don't have the reflector material, your not gonna get anything out of em'.

I just happend to notice the reflective coating is peeling of of my frikkin HID housings on my 95. Time to call up Max.

Mike

Actually my housings are in good shape.

fossten said:
Yeah, but where and at what quality?

Just search the web. Here is a link: http://www.autodynamic.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=HH-9005-9006

Harnesses aren't highly engineered. You'll have to do some modification to existing harnesses for sale. The Mark VIII's headlight systems uses four 9005 bulbs, while the rest of the pack went with 9006 lows and 9005 highs. So you'll only find the 9005/9006 combinations for sale. You must do some dremel work on the low connectors to make them work/fit. This modification is a whole lot easier than putting together a headlight harness from scratch.

damn, i wish i saw this one a week ago. I just bought the silverstars and they really didnt make much of a difference at all. But i did talk to some kid at Autozone, and he said if you go anywhere where kids drive around civics at night you can find hid's for cheap, like 150 a piece he said. But who knows what truck they fell off of, and yada yada. So i think im going to try and return my silverstars and give the 9011's a shot.

RustyBaker said:
So i think im going to try and return my silverstars and give the 9011's a shot.
The key is to go with the 9011 HIRs and also install the headlight harness. Each of these two steps will jump up the illumination.

viol8or said:
The key is to go with the 9011 HIRs and also install the headlight harness. Each of these two steps will jump up the illumination.

I know that there are some ppl over on the other site you and I go to that have the HIR's in. Do they have the reflector removed as well? And if so, is there any adverse lighting problems associated with the removal of the reflector and the HIR's installed.....or do you know? :Beer

1wykdmk8 said:
some ppl have the HIR's in... Do they have the reflector removed as well? And if so, is there any adverse lighting problems associated with the removal of the reflector and the HIR's installed.....or do you know? :Beer
Last year, my wife said she really couldn't drive the Mark VIII at night anymore, due to poor lighting. So I did the upgrade with a headlight harness in Nov 04. That helped, especially noticible with the high beams. In Dec, in went ahead and installed the HIRs in both on my Marks. My wife feels that the light quality now favorably compares to her Explorer, which is good. Check out this link:

http://www.markviii.org/htdocs/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=22&topic_id=24397

Based on my recollection, very few people have pulled out the reflector that sits in front of the low beam, within the housing. I have not seen any pictures of lighting with that piece removed. Seems like the light projection would work even better, but may be troublesome for oncoming traffic. I haven't tried it, since I'm satisfied with the lighting as is, for now.

As an aside, my mother-in-law's 95 Crown Vic needed new headlight housings. She got a new pair of housings, with bulbs included, for around $70 off the auction site. Doesn't seem fair.

I figure I'd put something in here that I use as an alternative. I use my brights on all the time. it works, not great but I can still see so much better than with the regular lights on. and to be honist in the 2 years I've used my brights on all the time.. I've only been flashed at a few times. A mark with its brights on is still not as bright as alot of cars with hids.

:Beer I PURCHASED THE HARNESS FROM THAT SITE AND HAVE A QUESTION, WOULD MY LIGHTS BE TO BRIGHT IF I WERE TO REMOVE THE REFLECTOR? OR WOULD I SOMEHOW BE ABLE TO GLUE A SMALL MIRROR ONTO THE REFLECTOR? THANKS FOR ANY REPLIES

meangy9 said:
: WOULD MY LIGHTS BE TO BRIGHT IF I WERE TO REMOVE THE REFLECTOR? OR WOULD I SOMEHOW BE ABLE TO GLUE A SMALL MIRROR ONTO THE REFLECTOR?
I'm assuming that by removing the reflector, that you mean glare shield. The shield that sits in front of the low beam bulb, within the housing assembly. I could only speculate that illumination would improve since I haven't seen such results, but the resulting glare may adversely effect oncoming traffic. Check out this link for some comments relative to the shield: http://www.markviii.org/htdocs/dc/d...ic_id=19540&mesg_id=19540&listing_type=search

Many good people have attempted to improve the reflector material that lines the housing with mixed success. You typically would need to either bake off or cut off the len from the rest of the assembly to deal with the reflective material. Then individuals have used chrome paint, aluminum duct sealing tape, mirrors, etc to provide reflection. IMO, the aluminum tape could work. Here are a couple of threads with information to chew on.

These deal with the oven baking/lens removing approach. I haven't tried it.
http://www.markviii.org/htdocs/dc/d...ic_id=18621&mesg_id=18621&listing_type=search
http://www.markviii.org/htdocs/dc/d...ic_id=21254&mesg_id=21254&listing_type=search

This one shows a novel approach to adding reflective material.
http://www.markviii.org/htdocs/dc/d...c&forum=22&topic_id=24542&mesg_id=24542&page=

If all else fails, a new housing could be purchased for $200 plus dollars a side.

The only thing I'd be worried about is the increased heat. That seems to be the number one problem with why the housing becomes so crappy, I wonder if the increased heat would only speed up the housings deterioration. If I did have this setup, I would probably limit the amount of time that my headlights stayed on after I turned off the car to the very minimum. I'm sure they do make a dramatic difference in the light output, but at what cost of the housing.

PioneerCrazed said:
The only thing I'd be worried about is the increased heat. That seems to be the number one problem with why the housing becomes so crappy...
You would continue to use bulbs that are 65 watts. So, wattage does not change and heat levels should remain constant. HIRs are a newer technology that stock halogen bulbs. The headlight harness addresses the problem with voltage drops.

Why don't you read this link: http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/relays/relays.html

And search the auction site for HIR bulbs. A guy named Bill Fox is selling them, and provides a lot of information on a web page. This link will probably only work for a couple of more days. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...ategory=33710&item=7986109558&sspagename=WDVW

I know this guy is selling them, but based on my initial experience, I ended up buying 8 bulbs. I'm still satisfied with the performance.

viol8or said:
You would continue to use bulbs that are 65 watts. So, wattage does not change and heat levels should remain constant. HIRs are a newer technology that stock halogen bulbs. The headlight harness addresses the problem with voltage drops.

Why don't you read this link: http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/relays/relays.html

And search the auction site for HIR bulbs. A guy named Bill Fox is selling them, and provides a lot of information on a web page. This link will probably only work for a couple of more days. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&category=33710&item=7986109558&sspagename=WDVW

I know this guy is selling them, but based on my initial experience, I ended up buying 8 bulbs. I'm still satisfied with the performance.

I need 4, right?

fossten said:
I need 4, right?
Yep. However, at a minimum you can do the headlight harness and just install 2 bulbs. The seller gives you little incentive to buy all four at a time. That guy knows the Mark VIII pretty well by now, so he will sell you the 9011. Those 9011 replace the stock 9005.

I would consider this doing this, to see whether the bulbs truly make a difference, based the condition of the housings. Once installed, if they illuminate satisfactorily in your opinion, then get the other two. If you are not satisfied, you can use the harness and 2 HIRs in a HID setup. The HIRs would become the high beams. Or, if you need to replace the halogen housings, you would still use the harness and the HIRs become the low and/or high beams.

Members online

No members online now.
Back