Headlight question

deflanman

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Has anyone experienced the headlights suddenly going out, leaving only the parking lights on??
This happened to me this morning.
I use the Autolamp system to turn the headlights on/off. When the headlights suddenly went out I tried to get them back on with the switch, but nothing.
Then a couple of hours later I went out to the car (in a parking garage), started it, and the headlights came on as they should. Hmmm. Any thoughts??

Thanks!! :confused:

Driver's Door Module going bad, perhaps?

Especially if it's BOTH headlights going out. Though, I know the DDM can and does control each headlamp individually - Found that out while playing with my Star Tester one evening-.

Switch, maybe?

um...sure you just werent driving through a diffrent lighted area, and the car turned em off by itself?

MrWilson said:
um...sure you just werent driving through a diffrent lighted area, and the car turned em off by itself?

My first thought, too. But no; they wouldn't even turn on using the light switch. Weird. They worked fine a few hours later at noon, and all the way home at dusk. I'll investigate the DDM (whatever/wherever that is....) and the auto lamp switch.

probably a bad connection bro my friends blows right up from water in the lens and hiting the hot light and blowing the light to :q:q:q:q

JR-
The bulbs don't blow; the headlights just won't come on. Then, after a while, they will work. I haven't solved the problem yet, but the DDM and/or a switch must be the perp (thanks Frogman.) I have, though, had the driver's side headlight bulb blow from water getting into the housing from heavy rain. Last time it happened was a day or two after putting in Silver Stars! I was p_ _ _ _ d!!! I just scored a set of "new" headlight housings on E Bay. I'm going to clean them inside with warm water and a drop of dishwasher detergent and check for leaks before I put them in my MVIII. Then, IF my headlights will stay ON I should be seein' just fine...
DF

MOD-
You mean just the headlight circuit grounds? Other grounds?
Nice burnout!
DF

deflanman said:
My first thought, too. But no; they wouldn't even turn on using the light switch. Weird. They worked fine a few hours later at noon, and all the way home at dusk. I'll investigate the DDM (whatever/wherever that is....) and the auto lamp switch.

The DDM sits behind the driver's side door panel, more or less behind the tweeter. It's a small, ~6"X6" square box. I had a picture of it, now I can't find it. I'll post the pic if I find it, sir.

Headlight question -problem found/solved!

The problem was the connection at the battery for my Autodyne headlight wiring harness. There was a bit of corrosion breaking the circuit. I cleaned everything real good and applied some de-oxidizer and all is well again....

Members online

No members online now.
Back