headlights

nana

New LVC Member
Reaction score
can someone help me out .. i wanna know how to remove the orange from my headlights.. isnt there a way to make it look clear.. thanks

this is an automated reply - Headlight Moisture (or how to clear out your amber turn signal corners):

1)take the headlamps out
- remove the upper plastic rad cover by removing the four turn plugs
- pull the outside temperature sensor off the plastic rad/bumper cover
- remove the plastic rad/bumper by pulling out the three plugs holding it in
- remove the headlamp by remove the three 8mm screws
- unplug the wiring harness

2)remove all three bulbs
3)use a hair dryer to dry out the moisture
4)if the water has not made the inside messy, simple seal up the edge of the housing using silicon and re-install
5)if you have to take the housing apart to clean the inside of the lens, the pre-heat the oven to 210, remove the three metal clips from the bottom of the housing, bake for 10mins, pull apart
6)clean the inside up
7)good time to pull out the amber reflectors for your turn signals (just break them loose and trim up any loose pieces)
8)push back together, put back into the oven for 10mins and then squeeze it all tight, the re-seal it with silicon.

Quik LS said:
this is an automated reply - Headlight Moisture (or how to clear out your amber turn signal corners):

1)take the headlamps out

2)remove all three bulbs
4)if the water has not made the inside messy, simple seal up the edge of the housing using silicon and re-install
5)if you have to take the housing apart to clean the inside of the lens, the pre-heat the oven to 210, remove the three metal clips from the bottom of the housing, bake for 10mins, pull apart
6)clean the inside up
7)good time to pull out the amber reflectors for your turn signals (just break them loose and trim up any loose pieces)
8)push back together, put back into the oven for 10mins and then squeeze it all tight, the re-seal it with silicon.
Show off!! :N

Quik LS said:

1)take the headlamps out

2)remove all three bulbs
6)clean the inside up

BWAHAHAHA!!! Man that is splendid! Made my night. :)

I should also add - that this procedure only works if your headlights are held together with grey-colored sealant. if it is using black-colored sealant then this will not work.

At what point can you tell what it is using, grey or black to hold the light together before taking the light out.. if possible.

step one - look at the top seam between the clear plastic and the black housing.

Quik LS said:

1)take the headlamps out

2)remove all three bulbs
6)clean the inside up

What brand of grey silicone did you buy? Did you just get it from autozone?

BBoyd said:
What brand of grey silicone did you buy? Did you just get it from autozone?
I would recommend black silicone that is high heat. That was the problem with the grey glue Lincoln used on the headlights. It didn't hold up well to heat and would break down causing moisture to get inside the headlight. You can buy black silicone at any major automotive store. I get mine at Pep Boys since my dad manages one cheap. I get the McKanica brand since it is easier to apply. Here's a link:

http://www.mckanica.com/tecinfo.html

GrayGhost1 said:
I would recommend black silicone that is high heat. That was the problem with the grey glue Lincoln used on the headlights. It didn't hold up well to heat and would break down causing moisture to get inside the headlight. You can buy black silicone at any major automotive store. I get mine at Pep Boys since my dad manages one cheap. I get the McKanica brand since it is easier to apply. Here's a link:

http://www.mckanica.com/tecinfo.html

Cool, thanks. The only reason I would go with the grey sealant is because I plan on installing angel eyes later on in the future. Preciate the link!

Quik LS said:

Last question. I have the lights apart and I have removed the amber corners. Now how do I re-seal it? I have the sealant so do I just put a new bead over the old silicone and push it together? Or do I have to scrape off the old silicone before I seal it?

I am just confused about pushing it back together first then resealing after putting it back in the oven for 10 min. Someone please help before I mess this up.

BBoyd said:
Last question. I have the lights apart and I have removed the amber corners. Now how do I re-seal it? I have the sealant so do I just put a new bead over the old silicone and push it together? Or do I have to scrape off the old silicone before I seal it?

I am just confused about pushing it back together first then resealing after putting it back in the oven for 10 min. Someone please help before I mess this up.

Put them together leaving the grey sealant (this will continue to hold the two pieces together.) Place them in the oven for 7 mins. Take them out and sqeeze them back together. Put the three metal clips back on the bottom of the light. Let them cool down for a while. Now you can put silicone over the seam were the two peices met, including the little tab holes on top of the headlight. There like 3 or 4 of them. Let them dry over night and reinstall. At least thats how I did it.
:Beer

01lssport said:
Put them together leaving the grey sealant (this will continue to hold the two pieces together.) Place them in the oven for 7 mins. Take them out and sqeeze them back together. Put the three metal clips back on the bottom of the light. Let them cool down for a while. Now you can put silicone over the seam were the two peices met, including the little tab holes on top of the headlight. There like 3 or 4 of them. Let them dry over night and reinstall. At least thats how I did it.
:Beer

thanks! :gr_hail:

'Preciate the help everyone. Here is the finished product. Now I have to get those clear side markers...

DSC00062a.JPG

BBoyd said:
'Preciate the help everyone. Here is the finished product. Now I have to get those clear side markers...
Very nice! The clear side marker lenses would make it look even better!

BBoyd said:
oh so you did the lse grille tutorial thing...did you find it hard...or is that the ebay kit

stateproperty3423 said:
oh so you did the lse grille tutorial thing...did you find it hard...or is that the ebay kit

that is not the ebay kit with the little strips that you stick on. the grille is entirely chrome. If you take it off and look at the back, it is still chrome.

what can you do to clean the headlight if you have the black sealent? can you still take them apart? thanks

mcafferty said:
what can you do to clean the headlight if you have the black sealent? can you still take them apart? thanks
No. I have one headlight that has the black sealant and it will not come apart unless I pry it apart and destroy the lip around headlight.

You know Ken, I was thinking about the plague of the black sealant. With the size of the hole where you put the low-beam harness in to the actual case, would it be possible to break the orange reflector while the entire casing is still in tact, and just pick out the pieces? I know it wouldn't be as clean but the more I look at it the more It seems so. Would have to be extremely careful, but I heard about someone doing this on a different car because they couldn't seperate the case. Just an idea i dunno!

KC_Valentine said:
You know Ken, I was thinking about the plague of the black sealant. With the size of the hole where you put the low-beam harness in to the actual case, would it be possible to break the orange reflector while the entire casing is still in tact, and just pick out the pieces? I know it wouldn't be as clean but the more I look at it the more It seems so. Would have to be extremely careful, but I heard about someone doing this on a different car because they couldn't seperate the case. Just an idea i dunno!
I'd say it's possible to do that. I haven't tried it but just be carefull not to scratch the headlight lens on the inside or the chrome part where the turn signal bulb is.

Just bid on a crapped out 01 LS headlight on ebay to test it out, if it works gonna go ahead and try it on my Black sealed headlamp. If not, gonna continue the search to find a driver side one with grey sealant :p.

GrayGhost1 said:
I'd say it's possible to do that. I haven't tried it but just be carefull not to scratch the headlight lens on the inside or the chrome part where the turn signal bulb is.
I had to take the lens out of that hole, but it is very difficult. You may scratch the chrome. The plastic is very very thick, so what I had to do was, pop the orange lens loose, grab the corner with needle nose pliers, pull a corner through the hole, and air saw off a litlle piece at a time. Be careful not to get the shavings inside the housing though. Good luck, it sucks.

Members online

No members online now.
Back