Heating Cooling 2002 ls v6 130k

Ls Guy

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, as you can see new here. Love my 02 Lincoln....First off not that technical a person Just need a few pointers with a small , I hope, issue.

I catch a whiff of engine coolent from time to time....temp gage shows engine runing slightly hot infact this evening it bliped up about 25% on the gage while idiling...electric fan kicks on after a few mins of driving...hate the nosie.

My car does not heat up fast...ie blow hot air when I turn the heater on. Perhaps after five ten mins driving it does.

I want to bring it in to a mechanic but want to go in with some knowlege of what the problem may be as well.

Any sugestions as to what the problem may be?

Any help greatly apreciated. Also live in Toronto, Ontario....anyone point me to a mechanic who works on these cars?

Thank you again for any help.

did you tried changing coolant and thermostat?
maybe you have a coolant leak

1st: thats the stupidest thing i've ever heard, "oh you may have a crack in the degas bottle"

2nd: is it me or is your solution always " you may have a crack in the degas bottle"?

hey! you can copy and paste, congratulations

the degas bottle is a very possible solution, so is the thermostat though

1st: thats the stupidest thing i've ever heard, "oh you may have a crack in the degas bottle"

2nd: is it me or is your solution always " you may have a crack in the degas bottle"?

1st:
Why? It's a very common wear item. Plastic will harden and get brittle over time. Eight years and 100K+ miles is a long time in plastic land.

2nd: Same thing said a different way. It's called pointing someone in a direction they may not have thought of otherwise. Same as HELPING, of which there is getting less and less of on this site.

I promise you, that every LS that I have seen that was made in 2003 or earlier had a cracked degas bottle (unless it was recently replaced.) Soon that will apply to all 2004, then 2005, then 2006. It's just the nature of the thing.

That and hydraulic fan issues (actuator usually) seem to be the main and unfortunately common problems with the gen I cooling system.
The gen II doesn't have fan problems, but it does have more plastic parts in the cooling system and they all start cracking after five or six years, this includes the degas bottle.

I promise you, that every LS that I have seen that was made in 2003 or earlier had a cracked degas bottle (unless it was recently replaced.) Soon that will apply to all 2004, then 2005, then 2006. It's just the nature of the thing.

That and hydraulic fan issues (actuator usually) seem to be the main and unfortunately common problems with the gen I cooling system.
The gen II doesn't have fan problems, but it does have more plastic parts in the cooling system and they all start cracking after five or six years, this includes the degas bottle.

I haven't replaced mine and its a 2000 (knocking on wood) :rolleyes:

I haven't replaced mine and its a 2000 (knocking on wood) :rolleyes:

I'll bet that if you pull it out, you'll find some cracks.

I think that the rate of failure may be more dependent on the number of hot/cold cycles than the number of years of existence. I'm in a hot climate, and that may be a factor too.

So your saying that if you live in a hot and cold climate your more likely to replace it, all my overheating issues were from the thermostat but if it happens again i'll look at it

jajajajaja lol
yeah your answer was accurate, theres nothing wrong with it.
but i will be watching you and reading everything you post.. you will read about me the next time you post something stupid:p

i think i need to check my degas bottle, i have leaks too, even if i fill it in a week the degas bottle is empty, but it seems that the level in the hoses is the same. ill check that up.

Ok got it fellas.......brought it in to mechanic........Degas cracked atthe seam. Opened up when under pressure.
Cost of fix....$245 for degas from ford..$100. labour.

Thanks you all for your input.

jajajajaja lol
yeah your answer was accurate, theres nothing wrong with it.
but i will be watching you and reading everything you post.. you will read about me the next time you post something stupid:p

i think i need to check my degas bottle, i have leaks too, even if i fill it in a week the degas bottle is empty, but it seems that the level in the hoses is the same. ill check that up.

isn't that called stalking :p and your right as far as i know there is nothing wrong with MINE, but if you read the post above me he clearly said it was the degas bottle

Ok got it fellas.......brought it in to mechanic........Degas cracked atthe seam. Opened up when under pressure.
Cost of fix....$245 for degas from ford..$100. labour.

Thanks you all for your input.

sounds expensive. i jus got mine from NAPA two days ago for 110. u could try the internet like rockauto or a-1autopart.com (or somethin like that) it should save u some dollars

isn't that called stalking and your right as far as i know there is nothing wrong with MINE, but if you read the post above me he clearly said it was the degas bottle

you said that my answer was possible too! and i also said that he might have a leak. so you are not the only one who answered right.

Members online

No members online now.
Back